Page 3 | To be amazed at what I need to provide...

(118 Posts)
Sexnotgender Thu 02-May-19 21:39:59

For my sons first passport!

My parents full birth certificates and marriage certificate and the same for my husbands parents.

It’s bonkers. Has anyone else had to provide all of this?

What if you don’t have everything?

OP’s posts: |
Andoffwegoagain Thu 02-May-19 23:20:06

It definitely seems a lot more than in the past. I had to ring about four people to get the information and still had a few gaps!

SihtricsHorseWitnere Thu 02-May-19 23:20:53

It's because one of you is foreign born and they want to establish you have the right to pass on citizenship to your child.

But you only need one parent to claim citizenship, which in this case would be the mother who is British and has a UK passport.

RubberTreePlant Thu 02-May-19 23:22:08

OP your own passport number is literally all you need in this case.

RubberTreePlant Thu 02-May-19 23:23:50

Sorry, missing punctuation from what I posted below;

* You only need to provide enough to establish baby's citizenship*

As you are a U.K. citizen from birth and were born before 1983, it's actually very simple. Your details will be enough.

That's better smile

GrandTheftWalrus Thu 02-May-19 23:26:41

Right so if apply we'll need more details but of DP does it we wont?

This thread has completely confused me blush

RubberTreePlant Thu 02-May-19 23:29:00

No @GrandTheftWalrus - it doesn't matter who applies as long as you submit proof establishing the baby's U.K. citizenship.

In your case (you born 84, your DP born 82) if you provide your DP's passport number or birth certificate, that will be enough.


RubberTreePlant Thu 02-May-19 23:30:13

(Or you could provide details for yourself and at least one of your - British - parents. But obviously that's a bit more work.)

GrandTheftWalrus Thu 02-May-19 23:31:59

Ah right that's fine. It was the born after 1983 stuff that was confusing me. Not that I'll be applying anytime soon. Want mine changed to DP surname before I do.

However could there be a problem with my surname on her birth certificate and my passport being different?

RubberTreePlant Thu 02-May-19 23:35:58

* However could there be a problem with my surname on her birth certificate and my passport being different?*

You'd have to post in your change of name deed too. (Or get married and get a free updated bc for little'un that has both your surnames on it.)

GrandTheftWalrus Thu 02-May-19 23:38:44

Her bc has my maiden name on it as I was divorced when she was born but my passport still has my old married name on it.

I have the deed poll forms here just not signed as I want to get married to DP rather than using them.

But either way if I get my passport to match her surname then it should be okay?

TheBabyAteMyBrain Thu 02-May-19 23:44:04

I've recently done ds2's passport and had a mild panic at the documents they wanted. I rang to confirm as dh isn't British and all his parents certificates would have needed translating too. The guy on the phone told me to just send my birth certificate and passport, baby's birth certificate and a separate piece of paper with the grandparents info on it. Name, place of birth, dob, date of marriage, place of marriage.

The passport went through without any hassle and was with us in less than a week.

LittleKitty1985 Thu 02-May-19 23:50:34

Phone then to check!

You're in the exact same situation as me and I literally phoned them today and they confirmed that as I have a british passport I only need to send in DS's birth certificate and my own. They didn't want anything from DH as he's not british. & nothing was needed from the grandparents either!

Tippexy Fri 03-May-19 00:02:23

AIBU to be amazed at what I need to provide for my sons first passport!

My husband doesn’t have a British passport.

Amazing drip feed there, well done.

Of course YABU and you've answered your own question as to why.

Oliversmumsarmy Fri 03-May-19 00:19:52

I would have no chance of providing these documents.

I was born in this country but my parents and gps weren’t.

Gps all dead. No original birth certificates or marriage certificates as they left their home country and made their way through several other countries before arriving in England during WW2.

Lost contact with both my mother and father.

I have passports for children but if they got asked for this I wouldn’t know where to start

RubberTreePlant Fri 03-May-19 00:38:24

* But either way if I get my passport to match her surname then it should be okay?*

It will make travelling easier.

They don't have to match to get passports issued.

TheStuffedPenguin Fri 03-May-19 00:43:25

British citizenship would be passed on through the mother if she put herself as the person applying for the passport

Not necessarily true - you can have a British passport if born abroad to British parents but if you haven't lived long enough in the Uk your child will not automatically get British citizenship.

Kyrie10 Fri 03-May-19 03:33:10

Phone the passport office. They will confirm it's not needed if both parents have a current U.K. Passport.

CustardCreamLover Fri 03-May-19 06:31:29

OP I have to do this as well. Complicated even more by being out of the country. I have to send my passport and birth certificate so u hope to god they don't get lost in the post otherwise I'm a bit buggered!

MrsPear Fri 03-May-19 06:44:01

As you - the mother- were born before 83 in one of the home countries then you child is automatically British and entitled to a passport. If you were the father or born after 83 it gets more complicated.

You only have to provide passport numbers not actual documents.

Remember if h applies and becomes British the responses on the forms never changes. It asks for parents nationality at birth. My h was Albanian when ds1 was born but British by the time ds2 was born. However ds1’s form will always state Albanian for father. Oh and we have never provided any Albanian Certificates or sent off his passport etc

AlaskanOilBaron Fri 03-May-19 07:02:00

So, the UK needs proof that children having a non-British parent are entitled to a British passport.

Shocking. I'm sure no other country on the planet is so unreasonable. wink

Natsku Fri 03-May-19 07:33:22

I just looked what I need to apply for my children's first passports and as I live abroad I apparently need to provide colour photocopies of every page of their other passport, two documents that show their name and address like tax papers or school records (one is a baby, he doesn't have either of those things) and a selection of photographs of the child(ren) with the parents named and dated over a period of time from birth to the current day!

Also need both parents birth certificate (don't have mine, can't get anything relating to DD's dad because he's dead) and both parents passports at time of the applicants conception(!!!) plus grandparents birth certificates and marriage certificates

I cannot believe all this is needed. I really don't want to apply for their passports because it just seems far too much hassle. The countersignatory thing too.

anothernotherone Fri 03-May-19 07:45:28

Blimey, that's ridiculous. My kids are entitled to joint citizenship (British and another EU country) and have passports from their other country (which were very efficiently and straightforwardly organised as the other country has its own records andknows who it's citizens are - we only had to fill in one A4 side and it took 4 days for passports to be ready for local collection). I thought about getting them British passports just because they are entitled to them and might want them one day, but it seems to be a deliberatelydeliberately obstructive process.

RubberTreePlant Fri 03-May-19 07:47:31

* Blimey, that's ridiculous*

It isn't. It's not true.

Everyone needs to stop perpetuating the misinformation. It confuses people.

Sexnotgender Fri 03-May-19 07:47:53

So, the UK needs proof that children having a non-British parent are entitled to a British passport.

But they already have proof that the child has a British citizen as a mother. Does it actually matter about the second parent?

OP’s posts: |
anothernotherone Fri 03-May-19 07:48:44

AlaskanOilBaron some other countries are better organised and less obstructive, certainly. The British process is inefficient.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in