Talk

Advanced search

DD paid £130 to get an assignment done for her.

(318 Posts)
Piggie90 Wed 24-Apr-19 01:03:30

DD went away this long weekend and completely ignored her college research project before she went away. Cut a very long story short, she used some of her birthday money (18th) to pay a company (didn't even know they existed) to write a 2500 word project for her.

AIBU to never lend her a penny again? I'm actually fuming.

animaginativeusername Tue 30-Apr-19 14:20:21

My dissertation was due yesterday but I requested for extension, which has been granted. No I would never cheat, or have ever cheated.

Splodgetastic Sat 27-Apr-19 08:22:43

Someone asked about academic malpractice. Sometimes when you apply for jobs they ask you whether you have ever had a finding of that nature made against you and you give your permission for them to contact institutions you attended. You may not get found out if you lie, but if you do that will count against you even more. You would think it wouldn’t matter after a few years of grown-up life but it really does. I recently had to provide evidence of some things I was doing 22 years ago - not just the fact I got the qualification but the dates of attendance!

JamieVardysHavingAParty Sat 27-Apr-19 01:23:28

SuperCoop3r It's about as inspired as buying an item from Amazon after an ad for it comes up on your facebook page. Or Mumsnet, come to that.

SuperCoop3r Fri 26-Apr-19 19:58:53

@FunkyKingston yes absolutely. It's quite inspired. However as a responsible parent I'd do the right thing in reading her the riot act, but I can't say that inwardly it would cause me too much anguish. I can't bring myself to give this too much anguished headspace

pallisers Fri 26-Apr-19 15:10:54

No I don't live in a bubble. I do know there are cheaters like you. I just don't believe everyone is a cheater. I can quite see why you need to believe everyone is at it as otherwise you would have to face that you are not an honest person. And even if everyone did it - does that make it right? Does it make you an upright trustworthy person?

gingertesco Fri 26-Apr-19 13:52:30

@pallisers Do you live in a bubble? cheating is rife, as I said before lots of professionals do their children's A level English. There are many teachers confessed to me they written their children essays. No judgement here.

FunkyKingston Fri 26-Apr-19 13:06:29

Very naughty. I'd outwardly be very angry. I'd inwardly be quite impressed. So shoot me

Impressed she managed to push some buttons on the Internet? I wouldn't be, iy takes bo cunning or native skill, it is just straightforward cheating.

Belenus Fri 26-Apr-19 12:10:51

Where do you think these 'academic malpractices' add recorded?

I spotted where a student had cheated on an extended essay that was part of her coursework. She went through a disciplinary process. She was mortified. She was working something like 24 hours a week to pay bills on top of her studying and it had all got too much for her. We were actually as gentle with her as we could be because she was so distressed.

But, we had to give her a punishment according to university regulations. Her mark for that module was capped at a pass - so below a 3rd class. Ultimately that will have dragged her whole degree down. You could get round it on a CV by just not mentioning it. She'd just ultimately have a had a 3rd class degree or 2:2 where she might before have had a 2:2 or 2:1. Had anyone asked for a full transcript, which is unusual for jobs but common for further degrees, they would have noticed that one much lower mark which would have raised doubts.

How much it would have affected references is hard to tell. It would depend what specifically was asked for. You could have stated very factually "Jane Smith went through a disciplinary process at the end of year 2 and was found to have plagiarised someone else's work". Or you could just omit and not comment unless you were asked very specifically for their disciplinary record.

SuperCoop3r Fri 26-Apr-19 11:10:10

Very naughty. I'd outwardly be very angry. I'd inwardly be quite impressed. So shoot me

sashh Fri 26-Apr-19 10:38:38

I can’t believe how many are saying that they would tell on their own child - I hope that’s Bullsh*t because otherwise there are a lot of cold hearted nasty parents on here.

I don't think it is cold hearted. I think it is damage limitation, much better to be caught out at an FE college than at uni.

SpiceWeasel Fri 26-Apr-19 10:03:02

I hope she has learned her lesson now. Of course it is very dishonest behaviour.

I'm glad she is not at University yet. I would be concerned about the potential for future blackmail. I've heard from several Uni sources that blackmail attempts are made to Master's, PhD students and those in employment.

This is an interesting read:
www.turnitin.com/blog/straight-talk-from-an-essay-mill-insider-part-1

catface1 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:33:29

Your daughter at 18 is still a child - like others have said and as such she still thinks like a child , I hope all this talk of reporting her is nonsense as that is not good parenting , others are right it will not be taken lightly . Her best bet is to go to the uni / college student support and to tell them that she is under huge work stress and is finding it very difficult to complete to her deadlines - not mention the essay directly , just the pressure she felt. If the essay is 'discovered' then she will be able to explain the stress she was under and how terrible she feels - as it was not a dissertation she is likely to be given a second chance . If it slips through this should be a very clear warning to her - the more involved her course becomes then the less likely that any cheating will be tolerated at all or given a second chance. If this is her first mess up in education she deserves a second chance - if however this is just another in a series of her finding ways to avoid her work or rush it through then it's clear the academic system is not for her and she needs to be looking for some other kind of training. I think you should sit down with her and show her these replies so that she can fully comprehend the social impact of what she has done too.

BertrandRussell Fri 26-Apr-19 09:19:16

I can’t imagine shopping a child of mine. But I would help my children bury the body, so maybe i’m not a typical mumsnetter

TigerTooth Fri 26-Apr-19 09:12:18

I can’t believe how many are saying that they would tell on their own child - I hope that’s Bullsh*t because otherwise there are a lot of cold hearted nasty parents on here.
As for your daughter - silly immature behaviour - but she’s just 18, they often think they’re smarter than the system and she’s made a stupid mistake.
I hope she gets away with it because I wouldn’t want her future damaged, and that’s a real possibility. Hopefully she’ll feel sick with worry at getting caught so she never tries it again. Yes, I think you should financially punish her, and make her worried. Good luck.

huggybear Fri 26-Apr-19 07:07:39

Where do you think these 'academic malpractices' add recorded?

Splodgetastic Fri 26-Apr-19 06:02:30

@jimmyhill, it’s not about the Police National Computer! Lots of employers do pre-employment screening and this will often cover off any findings of academic malpractice. The OP’s daughter is 18, so it’s not like she’s a child any more.

mathanxiety Fri 26-Apr-19 04:23:25

Schools will often make an example of an individual 'pour encourager les autres'.

CuriousaboutSamphire Fri 26-Apr-19 04:11:07

They are using tests from last year. But that is standard practice... unless you mean they have access to previous test that the teacher is using to grade them.

Also, schools will torture the ones they can, Beg pardon??!!

mathanxiety Fri 26-Apr-19 03:48:25

Agree Catsinthecupboard.

Sad but true.

Vellia Fri 26-Apr-19 03:48:21

My instant reaction is - how terrible, what a cheater.

But then I remembered that my elder dd ended up practically wring several of my middle dd’s English and History coursework essays. So who am I to judge?

Elder siblings have been helping out with these things for years - is there any real difference between that and paying a stranger?

Catsinthecupboard Fri 26-Apr-19 01:52:13

Good God! Do any of you realize the degree of cheating that is prevalent today?

It is absolutely foolish to tell your child to tell the school.

I remember working my butt off for a final senior project only to hear the teacher's favorite brag about buying her project. And, looking back, I am certain the teacher knew!

The morality of not cheating is for yourself only. Frankly, after seeing all of the cheating in workplace, school and life, i don't care if my dc cheat or not.

My dd is currently in a high level math class where there is certainly cheating by a group of students. They are using tests from last year. SHE isn't part of the group and she's suffering for it.

Whatever your personal feelings about cheating, DO NOT MAKE HER CONFESS.

Schools aren't judicious, they aren't fair and she will suffer without any good coming from this.

After living to late middle age, I know only a few things for certain; people cheat, people know they cheat and people like me, who followed all the rules aren't the ones who prevail.

Also, schools will torture the ones they can, so just keep your head down and try to be safe.

Tavannach Fri 26-Apr-19 00:42:03

I think your instinct that she can't leave things like this is right. It would be better if she told her tutor she was unhappy with the assignment and that she would like to do it again. Or simply did it and asked if it could be marked and the second mark be the one recorded as she has had a re-think.
If she goes to university there will be parties and 21sts to contend with and she has to learn to prioritise work. But the main problem is her dishonesty if she lets things stay as they are. She's lying to her college, but she's also lying to herself. Atm she is not meeting the course requirements and doesn't deserve to pass.

pallisers Fri 26-Apr-19 00:37:39

ginger you think you deserve an accolade for not cheating on your driving test because it was tempting while admitting you had someone submit essays/thesis for you.

Do you know how far apart you are from normal people?

SandyY2K Fri 26-Apr-19 00:17:04

Some of those sites produce poor quality work and it ends up being a waste of money.

She better read it through properly before submission. I know someone who did this and said the work had American spellings and they had to rewrite before submitting.

Once she gets the mark, she may well decide never to do it again.

jimmyhill Fri 26-Apr-19 00:15:53

Dobbing her in it could mean no job ever in accountancy, banking, law, the public sector or retail!

You what?

College records do not get transferred onto the police national computer you know

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »