Talk

Advanced search

To be this thick?

(198 Posts)
NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 15:01:29

Obviously having a (completely) lazy day including several cups of coffee and a good nose around MN when I noticed "TIA" at the end of a post. Not the first time I have noticed this, and I thought "Cor - that Tia gets around a bit - turning into a bit of a prolific poster. It's a bit odd she keeps putting her name at the bottom of her posts tho....."

And then the penny dropped.

TIA
or for you lovely ladies who are just as daft as I am...
Thanks In Advance grin

Asta19 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:20:19

You're not alone! Exactly the same thing happened to me grin

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 15:22:35

When I first joined I thought writing "bump" on a thread, any thread, was a pregnancy announcement

AgentProvocateur Mon 25-Feb-19 15:26:58

I thought for years that there was a very high incidence of men with eating disorders (ED) on Mumsnet, before realising it meant erectile dysfunction. grin (and I stared a thread about it at the time too, many years ago)

Mother87 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:28:31

We've all been there in one way or anothergrin

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 25-Feb-19 15:32:45

grin

This may or may not be the perfect thread to ask this on.

In FB selling pages I’ve noticed some people posting “next” under a post. Its never the person who has posted the ad or discussion. has been under items listed for sale and things like “does anyone know which chemist is open on Sunday”. To me it comes across as very rude. Like the person is saying “can’t help you, move along” but that doesn’t seem right. Surely they would just ignore it? Does anyone know what it means?

KittyLover91 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:33:01

Hahaha bless you. There is still loooooads i have no idea what they mean! Always hoping to stumble a across a thread with all of them in

QuirkyQuark Mon 25-Feb-19 15:36:09

Max it means they want to be next inline for the item.

WonderTweek Mon 25-Feb-19 15:39:11

I've thought this too! grin Also whenever someone with a name like user75356435 posts I always thought it's just one person who has chosen quite an odd number combo as their screen name. Took me a while to realise that the numbers change... blush

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 25-Feb-19 15:40:50

it means they want to be next inline for the item.

Oh that does make sense! I’ve seen it on discussion posts though so no items being sold.

NunoGoncalves Mon 25-Feb-19 15:44:10

When I first joined I thought writing "bump" on a thread, any thread, was a pregnancy announcement

Hahahah that's much better than not knowing what TIA means! grin

I'm just imagining your thought process when someone doesn't get any replies for 20 minutes then posts "bump" and you're sitting there thinking it's a bizarre pregnancy announcement. grin

Saltovinegar Mon 25-Feb-19 15:44:44

I don't know if I'm also being thick but can someone tell me why people post a Q on some threads. Does it mean something?

TIA!!

QuirkyQuark Mon 25-Feb-19 15:45:46

Sometimes on some groups they're set up like selling groups and it's really easy to hit the stupid 'next' button. I've done it a few times and then had to apologise that my sausage fingers had accidentally done it grin

GraceMarks Mon 25-Feb-19 15:51:21

It took me AGES to work out what HTH meant. In the end, I googled it... I also couldn't work out what all the DH, DW, DD etc abbreviations meant. I still don't use them and insist on typing out husband, wife, daughter or whatever. I'm like that elderly relative everyone has who uses full sentences in all their texts (and yes, I do that too...)

brew0andbiscuits Mon 25-Feb-19 16:01:14

It took me ages to figure out TIA and I thought the exact same as you OP hahaha. I was always wondering why you would end an anonymous post with your name at the end

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 16:02:52

NunoGoncalves

Yes, does anyone know what time asda opens on Sundays?

Bump

Awwww congratulations smile

grin

alwaysthepessimist Mon 25-Feb-19 16:04:11

Oh there are still some I don't know the answer to and posters that seem to write almost the entire posts with acronyms I can't cope with - by the end of the first line I have totally lost point and give up!

I also cannot for the life of me work out how you can name change temporarily.....it's beyond me....

FriarTuck Mon 25-Feb-19 16:09:49

I don't know if I'm also being thick but can someone tell me why people post a Q on some threads. Does it mean something?
I saw this earlier and just assumed someone and mistyped and pressed post. Maybe not then blush

Saltovinegar Mon 25-Feb-19 16:11:45

I assumed the Q was fat fingers initially but it keeps popping up on different threads so it must mean something?

Rade Mon 25-Feb-19 16:13:57

I always thought is was "thanking you in anticipation"?

VanGoghsDog Mon 25-Feb-19 16:14:07

I work for a large multinational organisation which is HO in an EU country, not the UK.

Some of our teams put 'regards' in the language of that country at the end of their emails.

One of my colleagues saw this in a reply to her and thought the email was being signed off by a different person and that someone else had accessed that person's mailbox!

Bracknellite Mon 25-Feb-19 16:15:22

Here on mumsnet I spent months thinking CF was Control Freak.

NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:21:17

Apparently I am not the only thick one here halo

I know that there is a link somewhere in the nether regions of MN that explains the alphabet soup, but being old an experienced interweb user I refuse point blank to read it.

On that note, what the hell does HTH mean? Asking for a friend....

ImARocketMan Mon 25-Feb-19 16:23:24

HTH means "hope that helps", hth wink

I always thought when someone posted just one letter or a full stop on a post they were place-marking? I guess the Q maybe does mean something if lots of people do it?!

NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:26:51

@ImARocketMan my friend thanks you wine grin

CaptainButtock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:33:56

Ooh while we’re at it...could someone decipher ‘piv’ (In relation to sex) and also ‘pfb’ or ‘pbf’ in relation to babies?
Ta smile

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 16:34:50

Penis in vagina
Precious first born

Asta19 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:34:55

Penis in vagina
Precious first born
I think!

MereDintofPandiculation Mon 25-Feb-19 16:36:38

HTH means "hope that helps", hth Sometimes used in a genuinely helpful way, like RocketMan just has, but often used as a sarcastic extra kick in the teeth, as in "Yes, YABU, you are behaving like a selfish arse, HTH"

"KR" is one I've noticed recently as a sign off. Also "Best"

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 16:39:11

HTH is a passive aggressive. 'hope is helps' insult. So when an OP posts a question, or starts a discussion, someone will reply with a bald statement and end it with HTH.

So for example someone posting about a recipe for a particular dish and a poster replies back saying 'curry is rank - HTH'.

NunoGoncalves Mon 25-Feb-19 16:39:17

I work for a large multinational organisation which is HO in an EU country, not the UK.

In the spirit of the thread, it took me a while to figure out what your HO meant here. Especially as you used it as a verb!

NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:41:03

@MereDintofPandiculation I have to be honest If someone signed off at work with "KR" or "Best" I would be fairly filling up the swear jar.

haverhill Mon 25-Feb-19 16:43:01

My friend thought that ONO after the price of a house meant OH NO! So expensive!!
She was only a teenager at the time to be fair.

pigsDOfly Mon 25-Feb-19 16:45:28

I was on here for ages before I found out what HTH meant.

Also it was a very long time before I was able to work out how to use the Smilies below. Looking at them now it's so obvious but at the time I just didn't get it blush - just to prove I really do know.

CaptainButtock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:47:01

Aaaaah!! Thanks Stealth and Asta x

Littlebluebird123 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:47:41

Oh! I've always posted hth as a genuine hoping I've helped rather than passive aggressive thing. Maybe people have been thinking I'm quite sarky when I'm not. blush

Roussette Mon 25-Feb-19 16:48:07

This made me roar with laughter and because I have a really bad cough/chest infection, the laughter turned into a Not Nice Incident.

ONO, OhNo, is prolonging incident grin

labazsisgoingmad Mon 25-Feb-19 16:52:07

is there somewhere that lists the abbreviations used on MN? i think i have worked lots of them out but some still defeat me confused

ImportantWater Mon 25-Feb-19 16:53:48

I remember watching the London Marathon for the first time and hearing "Martin Smith, 34 year old vet", "Joanne James, 56 year old vet" and thinking goodness, there are a lot of vets taking part, I wonder if there is something about looking after animals that makes you a good runner.

It meant veteran. They had all run the marathon before.

ALongHardWinter Mon 25-Feb-19 16:56:01

I used to think that 'TA' stood for 'Territorial Army' rather than 'Teaching Assistant'. grin

cheesemongery Mon 25-Feb-19 16:58:09

I've only ever seen pfb on argumentative threads - thought is must mean your perfect fucking baby! Sorry!

Took me a while to understand why people would post a . or an f then realised it was just to follow the thread (why not click follow?)

No idea what Q is.

Somebody once posted jk, and I could not see the relevance to Jeremy Kyle whatsoever.

Gone4Good Mon 25-Feb-19 16:59:17

It's not thick to not understand all the abbreviations on MN. I find them annoying and often give up on threads where there a lot of them.

MumsNet would be well advised to ask people to stop using them. I'm sure if there were no abbreviations here MumsNet readership/traffic would increase.

stiypasi Figure that one out. Or hdylta?

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 16:59:23

I am always a bit amazed at the number of children with cerebral palsy. They I realise cp stands for chicken pox sad

PuppyMonkey Mon 25-Feb-19 16:59:34

I come from the very distant past, where if somebody wrote “Lol” on the internet, I thought they meant “lots of love.”

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:00:10

I see to think Dr exclusively mean a medical doctor and was surprised at just how many people in the corporate world were ex medics ...

GrandmaSharksDentures Mon 25-Feb-19 17:01:37

"Q" is used as a placemarking in posts - so the poster can find where they had read to.

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:01:49

cheese you don't need to post a . to follow a thread. You can just do this <as if bymagic>

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:01:58

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:02:09

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:02:25

FriarTuck Mon 25-Feb-19 17:03:17

I am always a bit amazed at the number of children with cerebral palsy. They I realise cp stands for chicken pox
Ohhhhhhh blush
I still think that the C in CF stands for that particular C word that I don't like but that gets banded about on here a lot. I have to actually remind myself that it's cheeky.

NunoGoncalves Mon 25-Feb-19 17:03:19

is there somewhere that lists the abbreviations used on MN? i think i have worked lots of them out but some still defeat me confused

Yes.

www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms

Mummyoflittledragon Mon 25-Feb-19 17:05:37

I don’t think hth is always pa.

Loving the “bump” grin

NunoGoncalves Mon 25-Feb-19 17:07:01

Sometimes people write it sincerely when they're being nice. I know because I've done so before. HTH.

Isleepinahedgefund Mon 25-Feb-19 17:08:17

I find that sometimes when you realise what things actually stand for, the whole of mumsnet becomes much less amusing!

GrandmaSharksDentures Mon 25-Feb-19 17:09:54

I used to think it strange that posters would ask if their family doctor could provide childcare - then realised GP stood for grandparent smile

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 17:10:55

Or their Guinea pig smile

cheesemongery Mon 25-Feb-19 17:13:18

Ooh now you've spooked me Aridane

Witchcraft!

OrangeJuiceandArmchairs Mon 25-Feb-19 17:17:18

Yes to Family Doctors and grandparents being mistaken.

Love the idea of all the Veterinary Surgeons running the marathon.

<Slinks away to check Jasmin Paris winning the spine race is actually an animal vet>

Springisallaround Mon 25-Feb-19 17:20:42

I remember watching the London Marathon for the first time and hearing "Martin Smith, 34 year old vet", "Joanne James, 56 year old vet" and thinking goodness, there are a lot of vets taking part, I wonder if there is something about looking after animals that makes you a good runner

this really made me laugh. That's the kind of thing I would think!

Absofuckinglutely Mon 25-Feb-19 17:25:02

My wicked step mother always signs Christmas and birthday cards
'LOL'.....she thinks it means lots of love.
hmm

RoastOx Mon 25-Feb-19 17:26:19

Q

NunoGoncalves Mon 25-Feb-19 17:27:12

R

shinyNewPound Mon 25-Feb-19 17:31:00

I saw loads of people posting just "F" on a thread once. I reported each of them as spam thinking it was probably a bot. It dawned on me later that it may have meant Following grin

Margotshypotheticaldog Mon 25-Feb-19 17:32:41

How Do You Like Them Apples?
I love a good cryptic crossword, so I actually quite enjoy working out the puzzles.

HoppityFrog3 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:33:48

Brilliant. grin

I prob have a few, but can't think right now.

cubesofjelly Mon 25-Feb-19 17:35:44

For years I misread STBXH.

I thought it was Stupid B*****d Ex Husband blush

I’m not a sweary person at all (hence my asterisks!) but MN is fairly sweary at times and I figured it was just a passionate expression!

Bittermints Mon 25-Feb-19 17:38:20

It's mega confusing when an OP goes something like this:

AIBU to think my DS was massively overreacting just because my DS spilt Ribena on her new sofa? DP on her side, so very awkward. DD says I wasn't keeping a close enough eye on DS but I had DD to manage as well. DC saw whole thing and got upset, bolted for the garden, caused more upset with DS. sad

DS - son or sister?
DP - partner or parents?
DD - Dad, dog or daughter?
DC - children, cat or cousin?

grin

halfchocolate Mon 25-Feb-19 17:39:41

I thought a lot of users had ulcerative colitis as they often mentioned UC.

PositiveVibez Mon 25-Feb-19 17:43:42

When there's a 3/4 part show on its always written as a 'miniseries' which is obviously a mini series.

I thought it was pronounced 'minnizerees', as though it was some kind of genre.

It was years later when the penny dropped.

SpringForEver Mon 25-Feb-19 17:44:29

ScrambledSmegs Mon 25-Feb-19 17:46:52

I don't know what UC is. Am I missing out?

It took me a while to realise that when people posted TSSDNCOP on threads, that they weren't referring to the poster TSSDNCOP in some weird, secret squirrel in-joke.

SomeDayPerhaps Mon 25-Feb-19 17:53:55

I used to read agony aunt dilemmas and thought everybody was called Anon...

caughtinanet Mon 25-Feb-19 17:54:57

People are joking right?

No one really has these urban myth type thoughts do they?

No one who describes themselves as experienced on the internet thinks TIA is someone's name.

I get that some posts are for the lols but I'm not buying that so many posters don't understand abbreviations used all over the Internet, some of the MN specific ones are understandable but bump is everywhere.

JenMumma Mon 25-Feb-19 17:57:57

Uh oh, I thought HTH meant How the Hell 😑

xTinkerhellx Mon 25-Feb-19 18:00:06

@cubesofjelly.

I didn't know what STBXH was either. I decided that Stab the Bastard Ex Husband fit so have been using that in my head ever since.

JenMumma Mon 25-Feb-19 18:01:24

UC- universal credit ????

ScrambledSmegs Mon 25-Feb-19 18:04:04

Some of us didn't grow up using forums, caughtinanet, and the internet was something we downloaded sloooooooowly on the old PCs in the computer room at Uni. .MN was my first foray into the online world, I wasn't even on Facebook when I joined up. It's still the only forum I'm on as it does everything I want.

So sometimes my naivity does get the better of me, as I'm sure it does for others. HTH. grin

ScrambledSmegs Mon 25-Feb-19 18:05:23

*naivety. FFS, what is the point of autocorrect?

cubesofjelly Mon 25-Feb-19 18:06:54

@xTinkerhellx grin clearly we're projecting some aggressive tendencies on scenarios of divorce...

SquigglySquaw Mon 25-Feb-19 18:12:55

Took me ages to work out STTE (something to the effect) it was driving me mad. On another forum I use, the abbreviations have the meaning in brackets after it. That's how I learnt alot of them. Mumsnet should do that wink

shinyNewPound Mon 25-Feb-19 18:19:42

@caughtinanet I was one of those people who also though TIA was a person.

haba Mon 25-Feb-19 18:32:31

shock HTH is passive aggressive? Oh no, I've used it dozens of times, meaning it genuinely sad

BlimeyCalmDown Mon 25-Feb-19 18:37:01

@caughtinthenet I still don't know what bump means but will look it up on the link someone kindly provided!

DoJo Mon 25-Feb-19 18:51:13

@Gone4Good
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Greywalls12 Mon 25-Feb-19 19:00:48

@PuppyMonkey my nan once wrote in a card after hearing someone had died, "sorry for your loss, lol". The person she sent the card to was very offended! grin

Gone4Good Mon 25-Feb-19 19:01:27

DoJo Brilliant. I thought I made it up. It's not a thing is it? lol

Gone4Good Mon 25-Feb-19 19:02:38

I wrote lol to this man and he wrote 'lots of love' back to me...

Saltovinegar Mon 25-Feb-19 19:25:34

caughtinanet
I'm reasonably savvy with the internet but I'm old and I really can't keep up with strange initials, one word posts and the letter Q.
I am currently drinking Tia Maria HTH.

caughtinanet Mon 25-Feb-19 19:55:46

I'm reasonably savvy with the internet but I'm old and I really can't keep up with strange initials, one word posts and the letter Q

I bet I'm older than you, if I don't know what something means I look it up.

TIA is a pretty uncommon name, how likely is it that only people with that name would go around signing their posts on anonymous internet fora?

Shoppingwithmother Mon 25-Feb-19 20:01:28

I wondered if Q is short for thank you (ie than(kyou)?)

I only realised something I have been stupid about the other week. I thought that on Twitter, some people actually wrote “followed by nobody you follow” at the top of their twitter page. Like “I’m too cool to be followed by anyone you would follow.”

It was only when I seemed to see it so many times and then on the page of someone I know who would never write something like that, I realised it just automatically says if anyone you follow follows that person, or says this if not.

And I thought all these people were a bit rude - what an idiot!

ImARocketMan Mon 25-Feb-19 20:04:15

I think HTH can be genuine or passive aggressive, totally depends what's come before it. I've seen lots of people giving what looks like really good advice with HTH at the end which I think is ok. If someone says "You're a knob - HTH" I think its safe to say that's not genuine!

I have also been known to put LOL on Christmas/Birthday cards, I know what it means but it's just quicker than writing lots of love, my friends and family must think I'm clueless grin

NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 20:16:01

Mmmmm @Saltovinegar Tia Maria

I completely agree @caughtinanet that Tia is an uncommon name - hence my believing she was a prolific poster!

HTH grin

Saltovinegar Mon 25-Feb-19 20:37:04

caughtinanet
I consider myself told off (on a light hearted thread or so I thought)

Q

Korvalscat Mon 25-Feb-19 20:38:00

I thought HTH was 'hand to heart' then realised it didn't make sense in context. I eventually figured it out but my thought process is usually hand to heart? no it means something else. Oh yes, hope that helps by the time I get through that lot I have no idea if poster is sincere or passive agressive (to me PA is personal assistant and I go through a similar thought process as above)
I was used to lol but have been advised by dd that no one uses it anymore. When dd puts haha, I can't tell whether she is being a sarky cowor genuinely finds something funny. Also off topic but bloody emoticons, no idea unless it is a smiley face (or a pile of pooh)

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 22:07:58

Or, spring, stop stealing my mum set magic

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 22:08:13

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 22:08:28

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 22:08:44

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 22:09:42

(sorry - that was supposed to be 'oi, spring)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »