Talk

Advanced search

"Start Panic Buying Bread!" How bloody irresponsible is this headline

(54 Posts)
witchofzog Thu 30-Nov-17 14:17:44

I won't link to it as it's the shitty daily fail. But they are leading with this headline about a tiny amount of snow. I don't care if it is meant to be sarcastic or funny. It's just irresponsible as there will be lots of stupid people who will see it and do exactly that. What on earth were they thinking?

KC225 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:44:59

Of course they won't. There will be no stampede, you are the only one panicking.

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 30-Nov-17 14:47:21

exactly!! op...calm down

MissionItsPossible Thu 30-Nov-17 14:48:21

If people are stupid enough to start panic buying bread because it was in a newspaper headline, then... shrug

TheQueenOfWands Thu 30-Nov-17 14:50:37

Do people still eat bread?

Why bread?

It goes off after a few days. If you panic buy it then you're left with mouldy bread.

Why does the Daily Mail want us to stockpile mouldy bread? Are they on glue?

MoistCantaloupe Thu 30-Nov-17 14:52:29

no, no one does.

Threeislikeaprisonsentance Thu 30-Nov-17 14:54:42

Why wouldn’t people still buy bread confused

Ecureuil Thu 30-Nov-17 14:55:36

Err... yes? Why wouldn’t they?

MoistCantaloupe Thu 30-Nov-17 14:57:09

Probably because Queen has a superior diet to the rest of us.

Nyx1 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:58:22

Queen, I hate to say it - you might wish to sit down first - but some of us put bread in the freezer!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 30-Nov-17 14:58:25

Proper laughing at people not eating bread gringringrin

I just ate 4 slices of cheese on toast

MoistCantaloupe Thu 30-Nov-17 15:00:00

mmm I like cheese. Brie on toast.

Oysterbabe Thu 30-Nov-17 15:00:00

Why do people always panic buy bread and milk? Last time we had significant snow I panic bought steak, cheese, olives, hummus, wine... People are shit at panic buying, it's not the 40s.

steff13 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:01:32

Here, there's an on-going joke that people always make French Toast when it snows, because there seems to be a run on milk, eggs, and bread. I don't know why.

What would happen if a lot of people saw the headline and bought bread?

You can freeze bread, so it doesn't have to go bad if you overbuy.

Kursk Thu 30-Nov-17 15:08:51

You can freeze bread and milk. We always get a couple extra items each shop to build up a food supply so we can avoid panic buying. We have 3 months of food in the emergency cupboard.

If you want to panic buy, I would recommend stocking up on Petrol.

FlowerPot1234 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:14:53

Buy flour. Make your bread. Saves money. Don't have the going off problems.

DurhamDurham Thu 30-Nov-17 15:18:56

I bought some emergency chocolate on my way home. It’s unlikely to go mouldy, partly because it’s not bread but mainly because I’ve already eaten it.

If I was going to stockpile anything it would be coffee.

PinkHeart5914 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:20:25

Do people still eat bread? what? 😂 now what I am about to say might shock you so please sit down before reading but many many people do eat bread confused

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Thu 30-Nov-17 15:20:46

Is the most MN thing I have ever read

grin

ScarlettDarling Thu 30-Nov-17 15:21:39

I love bread but I'd be devastated if I was snowed in and that was all I had to eat. Yep to panic buying chocolate and coffee. And cake. And Lidl stollen bites.

The80sweregreat Thu 30-Nov-17 15:21:47

i wondered why my 'big' tesco was rammed today as if it was christmas eve ! ( am not joking either)
there were 4 flakes around here today ( essex) but i will now look to see what the weather holds for us. i bought my usual bread.. there were loads of loaves on the shelves, despite the hoards of people in there.

Zaphodsotherhead Thu 30-Nov-17 15:21:49

I live very rurally, up an enormous hill, so if it snows more than a couple of inches we get cut off until the plough comes through (it was a bit dodgy for most of this morning). I managed to avoid eating bread all day, so glad I didn't panic yesterday!

I have run out of dog food though.

witchofzog Thu 30-Nov-17 15:21:55

But people can be swayed by newspaper headlines.

My friend works in a supermarket and has many many stories about people panic buying the second they see a hint of snow. Or when the store is closed over Xmas day. She has had so many people tell her they are buying umpteen loaves of bread or x pints of milk just in case and will probably end up binning them.

I intend to go nowhere near a supermarket until the weekend when I would be going anyway. But there is nothing more annoying than the shelves being empty because of panic buying when you just want 1 loaf of bread and a 2 Pinter of milk

witchofzog Thu 30-Nov-17 15:23:20

Agreed. If I was to panic buy it would be chocolate, wine and dog treats smile

LaurieFairyCake Thu 30-Nov-17 15:23:35

People stockpile bread cos it's a meal - you can add most things to it and be satisfied. Also if the shops are crazy busy or have run out of stuff you can eat your freezered bread.

On Christmas Eve bread and milk is always very low stocks in the supermarkets.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: