Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to start a campaign to ban wipes?

(340 Posts)
annandale Tue 26-Sep-17 18:56:20

Wipes are an environmental disaster, a key component of fatbergs and sold as a flushable essential when they should be treated like morphine - controlled except for specific medical needs. Anyone with me?

RuggerHug Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:20

Or just a campaign to make sure they're not flushed?

notanotherNC Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:34

Good luck with that.

Notevilstepmother Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:44

I think a bin it don't flush it campaign may be more successful.

ijustwannadance Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:49

It's the idiots who flush them that are the issue.

Sirzy Tue 26-Sep-17 18:58:17

They shouldn’t be flushed, and I have never seen them sold as such.

But no I wouldn’t support a ban. They are way to useful to ban!

abbsisspartacus Tue 26-Sep-17 19:00:15

Noooooo! How would I clean the children! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN !

Umm no sorry op

cantseemtohaveitall Tue 26-Sep-17 19:00:54

Def a campaign to stop people flushing them - can't believe people do this

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:01:05

What tools flush wipes? Not many people.

But fuck off if you want my wipes!

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 26-Sep-17 19:01:05

They're such a useful product but you are right!
However, things like cooking oil and sanpro shouldn't end up in the drains, but they do. Can't see them being banned.

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:01:40

re the morphine comment: no-one is with you.

catgirl1976 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:07:12

Christ no. You'll pry my wipes from my cold dead hands.

I use baby wipes, disposal cleaning wipes, stainless steel wipes, leather wipes, face wipes...

I don't flush them though obviously. I appreciate they may not be as great for the environment as a lentil-woven hessian cloth and cold water but they are bio degradable and bloody handy.

bottlesandcans Tue 26-Sep-17 19:07:52

Controlled like morphine!
It's a wipe you old drama queen

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Sep-17 19:08:39

I love wipes. But I don't flush them.

NameChange30 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:10:03

Washable wipes are the way to go.
Not going to happen, though, not on a mainstream level.

Smeaton Tue 26-Sep-17 19:11:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fatberg Tue 26-Sep-17 19:12:12

Wouldn't a washable wipe just be a cloth?

NameChange30 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:13:55

fatberg
Well yes but you can get different fabric types and sizes. The ones that are a good size for baby faces or bums are described (in the marketing) as wipes, for example.

RideSallyRide Tue 26-Sep-17 19:14:43

I never understood those wet loo roll wipes. Where do you dispose of them? Do they sit in your bathroom bin stinking of shit for a week?

MrsPicklesonSmythe Tue 26-Sep-17 19:15:47

Not that many people flush them Do they? Are people that stupid? Maybe if you could convince a company to start giving away washable alternatives more people might give it a go similar to cloth nappies. I wouldn't but some might.

strawberrypenguin Tue 26-Sep-17 19:16:24

Umm I don’t think you’ll get a lot of support. Baby wipes are amazing for all sorts of cleaning jobs! Don’t know anyone who flushed them though!

cakeandteajustforme Tue 26-Sep-17 19:16:41

I love cheeky wipes (washable wipes) for at home. But when out? Wipes all the way.

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Tue 26-Sep-17 19:17:08

If they're flushable and biodegradable then why wouldn't you flush them?

honeybeetheoneandonly Tue 26-Sep-17 19:18:33

I use tons of baby wipes, they clean almost anything but they never get flushed. I also have flushable wipes in the bathroom which are great for little tushies after certain poos. I used to flush them but since coming across a thread here a while back, that said they shouldn't be flushed either, I have binned them after use instead. I don't know anyone who flushes baby wipes but quite a few people use flushable wipes. I have no idea why flushable wipes shouldn't be flushed though.

PsychoPumpkin Tue 26-Sep-17 19:22:14

Hahahahha no. I love wipes and buy them in multipacks as I have two under two. We have a pack in almost every room of the house.

I don’t flush them though.

needtimewithwineandlesswhine Tue 26-Sep-17 19:24:43

Love my washable 'cheeky wipes'

Goldenbug Tue 26-Sep-17 19:24:49

We should ban squirrels too. They're as bad as wipes when flushed.

Or maybe we should just not flush things that aren't meant to be flushed.

picklemepopcorn Tue 26-Sep-17 19:25:02

The 'flushable' ones don't actually biodegrade fast enough.

If you put one in a bottle of water and shake it, it's doesn't disintegrate for ages.

ILoveMillhousesDad Tue 26-Sep-17 19:25:45

I would never flush wipes, but YOU ARE NOT TAKING MY WIPES FROM ME!!!

Go away.

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:25:57

because they are neither, obviously.

Taylor22 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:26:13

If you did manage to get them banned I'd stockpile enough to get me to my youngest 21 birthday. I love them. I know they're not great but I am not giving them up.

mumofone234 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:26:22

Cheeky Wipes Cheeky Wipes Cheeky Wipes. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Plus they're so much better for baby's skin than all those chemicals.

mamatobabes Tue 26-Sep-17 19:29:14

Ha! I buy and use water wipes by the box from Costco. No way would I support banning them.

I don't flush them though. I used to when I knew no better (for a few weeks post partum, wipes were needed frequently, and lots of them!) until I managed to block our downstairs drain with them and was informed by the dyno-rod man that it was entirety my own fault that we had shit water flooding the downstairs loo. Oops.

So no ban, but yes publicise not to flush. Flushable wipes, according to dyno-rod man are a complete con and also not flushable.

megletthesecond Tue 26-Sep-17 19:29:39

As long as they're not flushed it's ok.

I've never flushed one. It's pretty obvious they're not going to break down easily.

There should probably be a don't flush wipes and tampons campaign.

RB68 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:29:46

Or support this innovative company Twipes

climatelaunchpad.org/finalists/twipes/

MargaretTwatyer Tue 26-Sep-17 19:30:59

Yeah man. Just like Morphine. I was down the bus station the other day and the amount of people high on Huggies was insane. I saw someone mainlining a Wet One and a girl barely out of school turning £5 tricks for a hit of Johnson and Johnson.

Wipes ruin lives man. Just like morphine.

averylongtimeago Tue 26-Sep-17 19:32:06

So called biodegradable flushable wipes might biodegrade after about 100 years, but not before they have bunged up drains, blocked sewers and damaged the environment.

DH and DS are in the building trade - and have unbunged many a drain over the years. And yes, flushable wipes are a prime cause of blockages. Along with fat, cooking oils and what they refer to as "lady products "

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 26-Sep-17 19:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KateTheShrew Tue 26-Sep-17 19:33:32

If they're flushable and biodegradable then why wouldn't you flush them

I may have got this wrong, but I think that unless you buy wipes that specifically claim to be biodegradable, most of them aren't. They're full of plastic fibres and don't break down. I buy biodegradable baby wipes now (and don't use any other wipes) but haven't yet taken the plunge and moved over to washable/reusable wipes.

Do those who use cheeky wipes etc find them good? Do you remember to wash them frequently enought or do you often run out and have to resort to disposables anyway?

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:35:56

I may have got this wrong, but I think that unless you buy wipes that specifically claim to be biodegradable, most of them aren't
Even the ones that claim to be are not.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 26-Sep-17 19:39:11

I'm with you, OP, even if nobody else is - they are a menace. We didn't all die of Crusty Bum before they were invented, and we won't die of Crusty Bum when they are finally banned.

Biodegradable, my (perfectly clean) arse.

MamaOfTwos Tue 26-Sep-17 19:41:20

YABU.

You're not having my wipes so do fuck off.

HoundOfTheBasketballs Tue 26-Sep-17 19:41:21

YANBU OP, but most people won't agree with you.

I do say this as someone who is way beyond the sick/poo/snot phase of children though.
If you'd asked me eight years ago my answer might have been different.

It's so tough (understandably) to get people to give up stuff like this, which is one of the reasons the planet is probably fucked.

RebelRogue Tue 26-Sep-17 19:42:27

No,no,no leave my(not flushed down the loo) wipes alone. I have stashes of baby wipes in every room and a stash of cleaning ones in the kitchen. Green apple..mmmm.

ALittleMop Tue 26-Sep-17 19:42:58

how about you start with plastic water/drinks bottles and when you've got that sorted, then start on the wipes? [helpful]

BuzzKillington Tue 26-Sep-17 19:44:46

Noooo! I must've gone through thousands of wipes when ours were small.

Best invention ever.

We still use all manner of anti-bac wipes, floor wipes etc.

Never flush though!

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 19:45:07

YANBU! For years we managed with holding the baby under a running tap and washing its bum so Im at a loss as to why water no longer works.

Thankfully though my lot seem to still go about things the old fashioned way for my 6 grandchildren so its not much of an issue in the family. We do however live on a septic tank system so perhaps that makes a difference.

Spikeyball Tue 26-Sep-17 19:45:18

No. Wipes are very much needed in this house.

KateTheShrew Tue 26-Sep-17 19:47:38

Oh no, existential moment that's not what I wanted to hear sad

I've been using these ones www.jacksonreece.com/ that claim to be biodegradable and compostable. Now I'm wondering where what they actually mean is 'compostable and biodegradable... if you wait 1,000 years'.

IncyWincyGrownUp Tue 26-Sep-17 19:47:49

I think wipes could be made more biodegradable but they still shouldn't ever be flushed.

I'm not giving wipes up though. I have an incontinent primary school aged child, wipes are an invaluable part of our day and you can prise them from my cold dead hands.

KateTheShrew Tue 26-Sep-17 19:49:06

I'm not flushing them, by the way. Just binning them and bought the so called bipdegradable ones to ease my conscience about them hanging around in landfill.

SlothMama Tue 26-Sep-17 19:49:45

Yes you are very unreasonable, not everyone is an idiot who flushes wipes! Do you want to ban cotton pads as well?

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:51:42

For years we managed with holding the baby under a running tap and washing its bum so Im at a loss as to why water no longer works

And tell us, where did you get the running water and tap that fits in your bag to go out and about? We're agog.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 26-Sep-17 19:52:12

Did anyone mention Cheeky Wipes? grin

Seriously, they're brilliant. DS1 had allergies that meant disposable wipes just smeared his output. Before getting cheeky wipes, I gave up at home and just hosed him down. If I was out, it would take about half a pack of regular wipes to clean him up. The cheeky wipes could clean him up with about 3-4 wipes, then the "mucky" bag could just go in the washer. (I used washable nappies too)

I hear muconium has a reputation for being a sod to clean up. It wasn't any issue with the cheeky wipes.

CaptainHammer Tue 26-Sep-17 19:53:56

Yanbu. Cheeky wipes or equivalent all the way.

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 19:54:06

And tell us, where did you get the running water and tap that fits in your bag to go out and about? We're agog

You really can't image how people could go out with a baby and manage without wipes?

ILoveGrammar0 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:55:18

The point is that even the wipes that claim to be flushable block the sewers.

AntiHop Tue 26-Sep-17 19:56:50

I understand what you're getting at op. People should reduce single use items such as wipes, straws and plastic cutlery. These items can be very useful but we should all use them less rather than using them without a thought.

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:56:50

You really can't image how people could go out with a baby and manage without wipes?

Of course I can, you were the one who said that a tap was all you need.

Cheeky wipes are not wipes, they are just overpriced cloths.

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 20:00:11

You really can't image how people could go out with a baby and manage without wipes

I have no idea what cheeky wipes are but more to the point I've no interest in what they are. Wipes aren't necessary. End of.

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 20:02:14

Almost nothing is actually necessary, but wipes are one thing most parents would not give up.
Good luck with this silliness.

KateTheShrew Tue 26-Sep-17 20:03:27

not everyone is an idiot who flushes wipes

I don't think the OP is just talking about flushing them though. I thought she meant the wider problem of mountains of single-use disposable wipes that get chucked away everyday. Even if they're going in the bin, they don't disappear - they still end up somewhere.

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 20:04:20

*Almost nothing is actually necessary, but wipes are one thing most parents would not give up.
Good luck with this silliness.*

As a granny of 6 and mum of 5 I count my silliness as being one of life's blessings.

MikeUniformMike Tue 26-Sep-17 20:04:37

Baby wipes are brilliant, but I wouldn't use one on a baby.

Arse Toilet and facial wipes are labelled flushable, meaning that they will flush away. Many many people put all sorts of things down the loo. which is great news for plumbers.

Just look at the litter in this country - people generally don't give a stuff about the environment.

Only paper, pee, and poo should go into the loo.

ScarletForYa Tue 26-Sep-17 20:04:49

sold as a flushable essential

Since when?

They're not supposed to be flushed, I don't know anyone who flushes them.

annandale Tue 26-Sep-17 20:05:10

Sounds like I will be one of very few at the fatberg barricades! I kind of know it's a hopeless cause. It's also bloody easy for those of us with washing machines to go all washable. I just wish the things had never been invented and certainly that companies made a lot more effort to prevent flushing.

specialsubject Tue 26-Sep-17 20:05:12

The point being as the slogan goes, ' there is no away to throw things to'. Use as little as possible.

Nothing goes down UK toilets except body waste and bog roll. Flushable is a lie.

hazeyjane Tue 26-Sep-17 20:05:18

I used washable wipes with my dds, but with ds (who is 7 and still in nappies), I'm afraid it is wipes - we tried using washable ones, but honestly, nothing deals with a movicol induced explosion like a baby wipe.

PurplePillowCase Tue 26-Sep-17 20:06:49

yanbu
too many people are too stupid to be trusted to not flush wipes, as we can see in the fatbergs envy <- boak that is.

MsJudgemental Tue 26-Sep-17 20:07:26

So-called ‘flushable’ wipes should not be flushed. They showed on telly recently that if you put some toilet paper in a jar of water and give it a shake, the paper disintegrates. If you do the same with a ‘flushable’ wipe, nothing happens. that’s why they block the sewers and pollute the seas.

Spikeyball Tue 26-Sep-17 20:09:07

I don't think my son's school would be happy with using washable wipes or cloths.

PurplePillowCase Tue 26-Sep-17 20:10:52

my dc's nursery was happy to use (supplied by us) flannels & water.
wipes gave dc awful nappy rash.

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 20:11:51

I used washable wipes with my dds, but with ds (who is 7 and still in nappies), I'm afraid it is wipes - we tried using washable ones, but honestly, nothing deals with a movicol induced explosion like a baby wipe|

I have a child with SN who at the age of 26 requires 2-1 around the clock with a 3rd and 4th person always being there or there about. I understand what you are saying and I empathise but at the same time I really do believe that if wipes were not available you wouldnt need them. However I do believe that if it makes a very difficult sittuation more doable then do whatever you have to do to manage.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 26-Sep-17 20:12:04

YANBU.

Just learn to wipe your arses with loo roll you lazy fuckers.

NameChange30 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:12:25

Somewhat
Agreed, it's much easier to wipe poo off a baby's bum with a washable wipe than with a disposable one (or with wet cotton wool for that matter). I've tried all three!

What's with the pedants who insist that washable wipes are simply cloths? Why aren't we allowed to call them wipes? That's what they are for - wiping. Why does the choice of word bother you?!

ozymandiusking Tue 26-Sep-17 20:12:41

We never flush any type of wet wipes down the loo. We have a bin which has a plastic bin liner in it. Even with wipes that have been used to wipe bottoms it doesn't smell. I replace the bag about twice a week. When emptying I tie a knot in it and put it in the general domestic bin.

TattyCat Tue 26-Sep-17 20:12:49

I just wish the things had never been invented and certainly that companies made a lot more effort to prevent flushing.

Totally. The manufacturers ought to be shot for claiming them to be 'flushable'. And don't get me started on the hazards of plastic, particularly around food.

In fact, the problem of sanpro, wipes, and other nasties being flushed would all go away if every house had a septic tank! The idiots flushing them would only pay out to get their system sorted once... problem solved! And if the septic tanks were installed under the house (thereby not taking up outside space), it would really focus the mind. I'm a genius.

TattyCat Tue 26-Sep-17 20:13:02

grin

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 20:14:52

Just learn to wipe your arses with loo roll you lazy fuckers

Baby wipes. For babies, you know? hmm

ArcheryAnnie Tue 26-Sep-17 20:15:33

Just been on another thread where someone is using baby wipes every meal to wipe up dropped food from the kitchen floor. Why? Does the kitchen floor have sensitive skin?

There is just this relentless movement of using unbiodegradable, one-use products to do perfectly ordinary things that reusable things can do just as well. (And in the case above, if the poster HAD to use a one-use thing, why not a sheet of kitchen roll, which is at least biodegradable, and even compostable?)

Totally happy to ban the bloody things. The world just cannot cope with this "use it once, throw it away" culture. There is no "away".

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 20:16:02

We never flush any type of wet wipes down the loo. We have a bin which has a plastic bin liner in it. Even with wipes that have been used to wipe bottoms it doesn't smell. I replace the bag about twice a week. When emptying I tie a knot in it and put it in the general domestic bin

Ive just spent a week in the Uk, in my house, and what to do with my Tena lady had me a nervous wreck. I even had to tell my dad - do not open that bag to check If I got my recycling right!

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 26-Sep-17 20:18:25

Babies what?

Wet wipes are a recent invention. Did you think babies had dirty bottoms before that?

GrabbyMcGrabby Tue 26-Sep-17 20:20:53

I would back a campaign for all wipes to be biodegradable.

I would also like to see biodegradable nappies only and heavily subsidised at that too.

SecretFreebirther Tue 26-Sep-17 20:21:32

I wish OP. I hate that wipes are used for cleaning everything these days, so wasteful. My grandmother saw me using my Cheeky Wipes and told me when her children were small she took a flannel out in a plastic bag, job done. She had 5 children under 5. Her neighbour apparently uses several wipes to clean her 3yr old every mealtime. That's a lot of wipes shock

Abbylee Tue 26-Sep-17 20:22:53

They are not good for babies bums! Do not use them bc of your babies. Environment is optional reason. Dh read the ingredients and banned them from out home. We used sturdy paper towels and water with mild soap. Our babies did not have diaper rash, ever.

Our dc told us that the dr's children that they attended school with were not allowed to use hand sanitizer either bc of the dangerous ingredients.
Please confirm this for yourself if you disagree. hmm I would rather be thought foolish than keep helpful information to myself.

dementedma Tue 26-Sep-17 20:23:14

I'm with you OP. Used for absolutely everything other than babies' arses in our throwaway society. Makes you wonder how all those babies survived before wipes....Would also ban excess plastic packaging on fruit and veg, single use water bottles and coffee cups, and plasic straws. Find this shit on the beach most weekends.

midnightmisssuki Tue 26-Sep-17 20:23:22

sorry OP - i will not be supporting you. Do you have children?! Wipes are heaven sent.

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 20:26:47

orry OP - i will not be supporting you. Do you have children?! Wipes are heaven sent.

yep, a huge lump of heaven sent nonsense that has to be disposed of somehow. grin

Ttbb Tue 26-Sep-17 20:27:31

Nope. Why not just star an anti flushing campaign instead?

MelvinThePenguin Tue 26-Sep-17 20:29:52

I'm another Cheeky Wipes fan. I'm going to persist in calling them wipes because I wipe things with them. That is their exclusive function.

They're really easy to use (better than disposable wipes as PPs have said) and actually cheaper in the long run.

PeaceAndLove1 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:32:14

On another thread someone mentioned the flushable wipes aren't flushable, what the heck is that about, manufacturers should foot the bill for fatburgs, they'd soon sort it out then.

KateTheShrew Tue 26-Sep-17 20:32:21

Nope. Why not just star an anti flushing campaign instead

But what do you think happens to them if you don't flush them? Even if you bin them they end up in landfill for a loooong time, unless they're compostable. If you think about all the people using baby wipes, facial cleansing wipes, toilet wipes, kitchen wipes that's a LOT of waste.

emmcan Tue 26-Sep-17 20:32:22

I think the billions of tonnes of waste being belched into the air and sea by major polluters like China and India might offset your campaign against wet-wipes somewhat. But well done you, for having a bit of a go.

maggiecate Tue 26-Sep-17 20:34:59

For those querying, Flushable and biodegradable are not the same thing - hold a sheet of loo roll taut under running water and it will fall apart. A wipe won't, and so it shouldn't be flushed because it will bung up your drain. Same with kitchen roll - it's a different grade of material designed to stay intact when wet. They will degrade eventually but in weeks/months/years depending on what they're made of.

The loo roll doesn't biodegrade instantly, but it does break apart into small soft fragments that are less likely to get caught up in the works and allow fatbergs to build up by clinging to the material.

And when I'm Queen the fatberg busters will be first to get knighthoods!

Cubtrouble Tue 26-Sep-17 20:35:18

This is a genuine question. What DID people use before wipes to clean babies bottoms?

We have a septic tank. Nothing but paper and poo in my loo.

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 20:35:31

But what do you think happens to them if you don't flush them

Theres an alternative called 'just not using them in the first place'.

KateTheShrew Tue 26-Sep-17 20:36:37

Yes, fiveboys tat was my point confused

MikeUniformMike Tue 26-Sep-17 20:36:52

at work, instead of soap/handwash, there is sanitizer. I want to CLEAN my hands, not just kill the germs on them.

annandale Tue 26-Sep-17 20:39:54

Well for a start they trained babies a lot earlier because the whole thing was such a massive ovaryache. Like plonking a baby a few days old onto a potty on a regular basis, in some cases, or at least by the time they could sit solo.

Cotton wool was in use for a while, not sure how far back as surely it's just as bad as wipes.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 26-Sep-17 20:43:05

sorry OP - i will not be supporting you. Do you have children?! Wipes are heaven sent.

Actually, if you have children you ought to be supporting OP, because short lived comfort using throwaway items now means long term discomfort for them in the future.

When they grow up, they won't thank you for using them now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »