Talk

Advanced search

That this is a bit of a crappy Pass the Parcel prize?

(85 Posts)
Wigeon Sat 13-May-17 11:12:46

So DH went out to do some chores, including getting a Pass the Parcel prize for DD's 6th birthday party tomorrow. I said it needed to be fairly small because otherwise you use rolls and rolls of wrapping paper to do al, the lawyers. He came back with this dolphin pencil sharpener (biro given for scale).

Settle a marital dispute: is this a bit crappy for a Pass the Parcel prize? Are we Mean Parents? Or will 5/6 year olds be very happy to win a dolphin pencil sharpener?

AndNowItIsSeven Sat 13-May-17 11:13:32

My six year old dd would love it.

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Sat 13-May-17 11:14:27

I would chuck some haribos in as well.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sat 13-May-17 11:14:28

I'd have loved that at that age, it's ideal.
What sort of thing do you think he should've got?

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 13-May-17 11:16:35

Welll, for a start don't wrap lawyers the parcel will be enormous and they'll probably sue, blimin lawyers. grin Anyway, yes sorry that's a bit rubbish.

PeaFaceMcgee Sat 13-May-17 11:17:58

Oh Christ - not another effing pencil sharpener. We've got those, pencils and rubbers coming out of our ears!!

It's not great OP - tell him to get a box of Maltesers instead.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 13-May-17 11:18:55

Meant to say, aren't you supposed to put a few different things in different layers? Small pressies getting progressively better or have I just been to weird parties?

BigGreenOlives Sat 13-May-17 11:21:12

We used to put little bags of chocolate buttons or something similar in between each layer.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sat 13-May-17 11:22:54

I get it now. That's the actual main present? I thought it was between the layers lawyers present. That is a bit shit.

MyPatronusIsAUnicorn Sat 13-May-17 11:23:15

To are right. It's crap. I imagine a lot of children would be a bit disappointed with that as a prize.

MrsHathaway Sat 13-May-17 11:23:35

I think that's a good thought but not practical. Needed to be bigger though not necessarily more expensive.

We put 10p Haribo packs in early layers but you have to do the forfeit to win it - eg "spin round three times" or "sing Twinkle Twinkle" - and the prize goes in your party bag for later. Only for young children, though, too young for school.

Chloe84 Sat 13-May-17 11:25:18

That looks like one of the presents you find after 2 or 3 layers, not the final layer.

KatsutheClockworkOctopus Sat 13-May-17 11:26:01

It's fine for a layer present but not the main one. Second malteasers suggestion above or maybe a book of some sort.

Batfurger Sat 13-May-17 11:27:52

People are so ungrateful. And yes, let's make all fun about sugar, that's such a healthy thing to do. I'm sure there will be enough food around to not force more of it into consolation prizes.

I think it's lovely OP but apparently it's not enough for the grabby parents so...

NorthumbrianGirl Sat 13-May-17 11:29:38

It is a little bit crap, but probably won't impact the party.

Wigeon Sat 13-May-17 11:29:39

Yes, going to put sweets between the lawyers (!) (although he's got sherbert lemons for that, which I think half the six year olds won't like...), along with forfeits. The pencil sharpener is the final prize inside all the wrapping.

I am a bit torn actually - if I'd put this in Relationships I'd be told you can't go around dividing household chores between a couple (and sorting things out for a party counts as that), and then one person in the couple tells the other person they didn't do the chore right and huffs and goes back out to do the chore the way they want it done...

But also don't want one of the party guests to look all sad and disappointed after all the unwrapping!

Wigeon Sat 13-May-17 11:31:26

and I don't want the other parents to think I'm mean blush as we are perfectly able to afford a slightly better prize

Kittencatkins123 Sat 13-May-17 11:31:54

I think it would be cool with a little packet of pencils and a rubber - for not much more money you've got a cool little stationary set.

Have you got a Tiger near you? They have amazing stuff for hardly any money.

Grilledaubergines Sat 13-May-17 11:32:21

It's fine OP,

All this present in every layer business is a new one on me. I've never known anything (since I was a child until now) other thT nothing between the layers and one present at the end. The anticipation being in nit knowing how big your piece of paper was going to be and whether you'd reach the gift on your turn. Can't see much excitement if you know you're getting something regardless.

Kittencatkins123 Sat 13-May-17 11:32:40

Or even sainsburys have cheap little party favours

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 13-May-17 11:33:18

I think it's fine. I probably wouldn't include the pen, that's a bit random. How about putting some coloured pencils with it that you can actually sharpen? smile

Hastalapasta Sat 13-May-17 11:33:30

Could you pop a wee pack of pencils and maybe a cheap colouring book in with it?
My kids would be fine with it but recent parties have had craft kits as the prize.

Kittencatkins123 Sat 13-May-17 11:35:13

I think it's nice that you have a little treat between the layers as it means everyone gets a prize even if it's just a little haribo. I don't think you need to go ott but parties aren't about life lessons imo wink

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 13-May-17 11:36:35

It's fine. It's a party. They'll all get hyper on cake and sweets. They're 5/6, not 10 so far less discerning. You do, however, need to change the sweets.

Wando1986 Sat 13-May-17 11:36:57

Get some coloured pencils to go with it and a bag of crispy m&ms. Don't you normally have more than one game too? Or is that musical chairs? Or enough layers so at least all the kids get something like a mini bag of haribo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now