We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

about that ---------->>>>> scone recipe?

(24 Posts)
GreatWhites Sat 22-Apr-17 20:07:04

Lemonade? Lemonade!!!

And that is definitely twisting the dough, they'll never rise the way you cut them out.

My mother is the village fete scone champion (the competition between her and Jean is fierce) and that is not. how. she. makes. scones.

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 20:14:42

What are you talking about?

GreatWhites Sat 22-Apr-17 20:17:29

On the sidebar there is a MN recipe for scones which suggests using a can of lemonade shock

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 20:24:38

Really where? I use soda water for a rise.

GreatWhites Sat 22-Apr-17 20:27:01

Can you not taste it?

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 20:30:02

No. they taste quite nice - they rise higher so are softer. I'd be up for using lemonade.

GreatWhites Sat 22-Apr-17 20:32:29

Can you post your recipe?

This is the MN one.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrFch-lur5A

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 20:47:02

Oh ok. It's not too different to the one I use

www.greedyguts.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/soda-water-scones/amp/

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 20:49:57

The only issue is that lemonade scones I make don't taste right. Only the ones with soda water do. Maybe using more cream could help. I'll need to experiment. Thanks for pointing it out!

pringlecat Sat 22-Apr-17 20:52:46

I've made them before. You get a much lighter texture to normal scones, and you can eat them as are - whereas with normal scones, you really want to add butter (and/or jam). Can't remember which recipe I used though!

GreatWhites Sat 22-Apr-17 21:02:05

Does the mixture not get really wet?

pringlecat Sat 22-Apr-17 21:04:14

Yes. But they come good when baked! It's worth experimenting - I only had a go after I tasted someone else's lemonade scones. You wouldn't think it works until trying.

Now, using cola instead of eggs in cake - bit weird. Don't recommend. It works to a point but the texture is strange. Lemonade in scones - absolutely fine!

treaclesoda Sat 22-Apr-17 21:06:19

Buttermilk is what you need for scones. My granny would turn in her grave at the thought of lemonade. grin

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 21:06:37

Soda water in cake is nice too gives a genoise like texture.

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Sat 22-Apr-17 21:09:43

These recipes started out as allergy-friendly cakes and scones etc and they're brilliant. Don't know why you'd want to if you didn't have allergies though...

GreatWhites Sat 22-Apr-17 21:10:15

using cola instead of eggs in cake - bit weird

Oh no no no envy

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 22-Apr-17 21:11:39

i have done lemonade scones...very quick, very easy

also you can roll out the dough, smother it with melted butter, scatter over cinnamon sugar, roll up and slice, set them on a tray and bake...fastest easiest cinnamon rolls you will ever make!

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Sat 22-Apr-17 21:29:12

I think I just broke my phone drooling at the thought of those cinnamon buns!
That's my Sunday morning sorted!!

GreatWhites Sat 22-Apr-17 21:47:41

I will be baking tomorrow too grin

Duckiesprettycrazy Sun 23-Apr-17 00:31:28

I don't have any lemonade - can I use Tizer?

Plunkette Sun 23-Apr-17 00:34:07

<sidles up to GreatWhite>

My scones are rubbish.... would your Mum like to share her genius?

MrsA2015 Sun 23-Apr-17 00:51:59

Do you think I could put lemon zest in too? Then eat with marmalade after?!!! Mouth is watering

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 23-Apr-17 14:30:23

the recipe i use is 3 cups SRflour, 1 cup of lemonade, 1 cup double cream...have also used soured cream or full fat greek yog instead of the cream. And it doesn't seem to matter much if the lemonade is fizzy or flat.

I add in sultanas or cherries sometimes, if it's for "afternoon tea" then i also tend to sweeten them a bit with a quarter cup of icing sugar, cos slaterhing them with cream and jam is just not enough actual calories. ;)

have also thrown in chives/cheese/bits of ham for something savoury to go with soup/casserole

Iamastonished Sun 23-Apr-17 14:33:13

"I don't have any lemonade - can I use Tizer?"

Or prosecco even grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now