Talk

Advanced search

saying please and thank you to Siri

(35 Posts)
heheheheheheh Wed 28-Oct-15 19:35:11

I can't not say please to Siri. It seems so wrong to simply bark commands at him. But I've stopped thanking him.

The rational part of me knows Siri doesn't care either way. But I wonder if it'll make me a ruder person if I become accustomed to ordering him around like this.

pinotblush Wed 28-Oct-15 19:37:27

If it makes you feel better to say please and thank you to a computer then go head :S

Thumbcat Wed 28-Oct-15 19:39:08

I always thank him (and occasionally cash machines too). Seems rude not to when he's living in my phone being all helpful.

BathshebaDarkstone Wed 28-Oct-15 19:40:51

I don't have Siri but DD does at school, I must ask her if she says please and thank you to him! She does say he can't understand anything! I've got Cortana but haven't set her up yet, I'll try and resist saying please and thank you! grin

tacky Wed 28-Oct-15 19:41:06

I know what you mean. It is a total habit for me to say please and thank you so that I worry if I break this habit it may become a habit not to say it to real life people.

haha Thumbcat I can't say I have ever thanked a cash machine ( I don't think)

SparklyLeprechaun Wed 28-Oct-15 19:43:51

I swear at my computer (don't most people?) so really thanking a piece of software is not that much different.

MidnightRed Wed 28-Oct-15 19:44:45

I've never said please or thank you to Siri. Is that why he never does anything I ask? Is he judging my lack of manners? Have I offended him? <worries>

FithColumnist Wed 28-Oct-15 19:45:12

I just asked Siri if I had to say please, and he told me the date. Very puzzled, but my Siri is French.

MidnightRed Wed 28-Oct-15 19:47:18

Midnight: 'Siri does it bother you if I don't say please or thank you.'
Siri: 'you don't need to thank me Midnight'.

The relief! Phew!

Muddlewitch Wed 28-Oct-15 19:49:15

I thank him, I too have thanked cash machines out loud without thinking and most recently the green man on the pedestrian crossing.

I say carry on though op, I'd rather be polite to everyone including random things like that than get out of the habit and end up being rude to an actual person by mistake.

Do you use Siri a lot? I only use him from time to time as it seems quicker to just do things than open Siri and ask but I feel I am
probably not getting the best out of it. Plus he might get bored and resign

tibbawyrots Wed 28-Oct-15 19:58:24

I keep trying to get Siri to say "Did you mean to be so rude" or similar.
It hasn't worked yet. sad

Working thru all the swear words I know. It may be some time. grin

Stoneagemum Wed 28-Oct-15 19:58:52

I just asked Suri if she would like me to say please and thank you, her response 'don't mention it'
(Better than her response when I tell her to fuck off as she has opened when I don't want her)

jeanmiguelfangio Wed 28-Oct-15 20:08:48

I do blush my husband thinks I'm nuts! Tbf I probably am.
My husband just abuses him, and apparently gets the same results so I'm not sure he is bothered

PushAPushPop Wed 28-Oct-15 20:09:59

I once thanked an automatic doorblush

I could hear the people behind me sniggering.

twirlypoo Wed 28-Oct-15 20:18:34

I thank Siri all the time blush

I've just asked him if he minds me not doing it and he said my satisfaction is all the thanks he needs. He's such a charmer!

twirlypoo Wed 28-Oct-15 20:20:56

Ok, I've just told him to fuck off to see what his reaction was and he said "sorry, twirly, I was just trying to help"

I feel guilty now. I've apologised and he says its forgotten but I know he's brooding on it and so am I.

I'll stick with please and thank you. I can't take this emotional stress!

GoofyIsACow Wed 28-Oct-15 20:23:43

My Siri calls me Steve... I have no idea why! confused

MaidOfStars Wed 28-Oct-15 20:28:11

I just asked Siri to show me a specific part of his anatomy.

He advised me to get a new assistant grin

hiddenhome2 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:33:41

I tell him I hate him and he's ugly and horrible. It's very sad because he sounds so defeated when he responds sad

PotOfYoghurt Wed 28-Oct-15 22:01:24

This is how my lady Siri refers to me:

MidnightRed Wed 28-Oct-15 22:08:53

grin Pot

CalebHadToSplit Wed 28-Oct-15 22:12:25

I'm always slightly scared of Siri as she seems to proactively start calling random people on my phone for some reason. Judging by the replies above, I need to foster a better relationship!

Fairenuff Wed 28-Oct-15 22:22:19

I say please and thank you to my cat. Seems rude not to somehow.

honeyroar Wed 28-Oct-15 23:19:56

I always say please to him but not thank you. I just tried saying thank you after he'd answered something and he said that's nice of me to say!

Dontlaugh Wed 28-Oct-15 23:22:41

You need to ask him if he loves you.
Spent a very funny evening here doing that.
Pot change your username?!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now