Talk

Advanced search

To wish Mhairi Black was PM?

(197 Posts)
Littlefluffyclouds81 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:50:29

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-07-14/mhairi-black-20-year-old-mps-maiden-speech-pulls-no-punches/

She is amazing. Her speech made me cry. She may be young but she talks such sense and has so much passion. If only the House of Commons contained more people like her.

DadfromUncle Tue 14-Jul-15 20:53:06

YANBU and I live in the English Midlands. She made me realise how crap and stale the rest of the politicos are. I wish she was my MP - that would be a start.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:55:56

Exactly, she seems to be viewing the current situation simply with realism and common sense, without any of the pomp, lies and hidden agenda that other politicians have.

Kardamyli Tue 14-Jul-15 20:58:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

museumum Tue 14-Jul-15 20:58:51

She's needed on the opposition benches. As she says to actually oppose! And I LOVED the tony Benn analogy she used about wind vanes and signposts. It is EXACTLY what is wrong with current labour.

blueballoon79 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:59:05

I agree. I watched her maiden speech today and was in awe. She's fantastic.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:00:17

Thing is, I don't think she is saying just what people want to hear. It was pretty heartfelt.

specialsubject Tue 14-Jul-15 21:01:16

So which is the real Black? This stirring stuff, or the pre-election tweets (recent ones, not the kiddy-drunk stuff) and quotes of what she said after the referendum? I really don't know.

she also doesn't think that the rest of the UK should have a referendum on EU membership.

backwardpossom Tue 14-Jul-15 21:02:40

I'm sure IrnBru and Greggs sausage rolls would be on the menu in the HoC

What, because she's a 20 year old Glaswegian? Nice.

OrangeVase Tue 14-Jul-15 21:03:00

Can't stand her.

Kardamyli Tue 14-Jul-15 21:03:26

She is very young, so perhaps she's still full of niave idealism. Personally, that's exactly what I thought of her speech - niave and idealistic.

SantanaLopez Tue 14-Jul-15 21:04:59

YABU.

She tweeted disgraceful remarks after the referendum, and on the eve of her election tweeted “Let’s get rid of career politician Douglas Alexander.”

WTF does she think she is? What has her career been, to date?

Kardamyli Tue 14-Jul-15 21:05:14

Backward, nothing to do with where she's from, all to do with her self professed love of junk food. Typical weegie though!

scarlets Tue 14-Jul-15 21:06:58

She has made a credible start but she's a long way off leadership. I hope that she keeps her feet on the ground and that she gets treated as any other MP would, as opposed to being some sort of idol or celeb.

CalmYoBadSelf Tue 14-Jul-15 21:07:40

As an old cynic I agree with the "wait and see" camp

Great speech and I hope she has matured out of the behaviour I have seen criticised before. Time will tell

Kardamyli Tue 14-Jul-15 21:08:35

Lol at anyone but the SNP treating her as an idol or celeb. She is a nonentity in Westminster, as are the majority of MPs.

Behooven Tue 14-Jul-15 21:10:41

Yabu

lisbapalea Tue 14-Jul-15 21:12:58

I wasn't aware of the pre-election tweets but found her Commons speech impressive and hopeful. I will continue to think along those lines despite what the naysayers suggest, until I have anything else to go on.

backwardpossom Tue 14-Jul-15 21:13:16

Of course, OP, YABU - and I say that as a fan of hers. She's got a long way to go to prove herself, but her maiden speech was a good start. She spoke from the heart. Her constituency has some incredibly deprived areas in it - she's right to speak up for her constituents. Does that make her idealistic and naive? Really?

CrystalCove Tue 14-Jul-15 21:16:19

Nasty stereotype of Scotland there Kardamyli. angry

Littlefluffyclouds81 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:17:32

I don't see anything idealistic or naive in what she said. Of course, she wouldn't realistically be leading the UK at such a young age. But personally I'm excited that people like her are in parliament...things need shaking up...badly.

DadfromUncle Tue 14-Jul-15 21:18:27

All these people banging on about experience and career to date seem to have conveniently forgotten how little that's been a guarantor of effectiveness in the case of previous PMs. I know I'll be dismissed for being flippant, but it's hard to see how she'd be more reprehensible as a PM than many of the previous incumbents - I say give her a go.

longtimelurker101 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:20:14

Love how past behaviour gets taken into consideration for a 20 year old.

The PM caught smoking dope at school or behaving like a hooligan with the Buller boys?

The chancellor and his ladies of the night and lines of Colombian marching powder seem to have missed your ire.

One rule for one..

DamnBamboo Tue 14-Jul-15 21:21:21

Really! Oh dear.

Kardamyli Tue 14-Jul-15 21:21:57

No harm in her speaking up for her constituents but a lot of the problems in her constituency could be addressed by the SNP govt in Scotland who have been in majority for 8 years but have done SFA about real issues. they have improved nothing in Scotland.

We have a centralised police force whose inadequacies and shortcomings get worse by the day; state interference in the rights of parents to bring up their own children; road signs and rail station signs in Gaelic in areas where Gaelic has never ever been the language used; a health service which is crumbling with worse outcomes for patients than in England; an education system where the achievements and outcomes for pupils are falling; and time spent on such important issues as achieving pdo status for Dundee cake. I could go on, but you get the picture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now