Talk

Advanced search

To get really upset when people talk to me and my dog

(151 Posts)
GeorgianaDevonshire Fri 19-Jun-15 17:04:06

She's my first dog so I'm new to all things canine and might be PFD about this. I put on one of her collars and matching lead (we have quite a selection already!) and off we trot to the local park - poo bags at the ready.

Every day, EVERY flipping day, someone speaks to us.

"Nice day"
"Lovely dog"

Kids will point and say "big dog", their mums will say "yes, it is a big doggy". Men try to engage me in conversation and, if the weather's a bit nippy, you can bet your life some old bag will tell me my dog needs her coat on.

AIBU in just wanting to walk my dog without men trying to pick me up, kids and their parents pointing at us and old biddies making passive aggressive comments?

GeorgianaDevonshire Fri 19-Jun-15 17:05:17

Oh and for the avoidance of doubt; I put collar and lead on dog, not me. And poo bags are for dog.

Theycallmemellowjello Fri 19-Jun-15 17:06:10

Eh? Obviously yanbu to object to pick up lines and pass agg comments. But none of the remarks you mention constitute those things.

TheXxed Fri 19-Jun-15 17:06:32

confused

AnitaPooh Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:15

Are you serious?

travertine Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:18

Oh for God's sake get a grip. People say nice things when they see other people doing a nice thing. Lighten up.

QuiteLikely5 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:30

Yabu

I can't actually believe that you are objecting to folk being polite, civil or friendly.

Jeeez

cardibach Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:32

YABU and a bit odd. It's nice when people randomly engage with others, and part of a value of a dog is as a facilitator for this. (Posh way of saying it's nice that dogs encourage a bit of chat!)

dottygamekeeper Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:42

But thats the great joy of having a dog - they are great conversation starters (ignore old biddies and the PA comments, just smile sweetly, they are thinking of the dog's welfare- though I don't agree that dogs need coats): on the whole most people will be admiring the dog, which is of course what you, as a proud owner, want!

CaptainAnkles Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:47

I think that if you're out walking a dog, people take it as a sign that you'll be friendly and chatty. I've no idea why, but it seems to be an accepted conversation starter for strangers. Maybe you should walk your dog in quieter areas.

Abraid2 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:47

*Every day, EVERY flipping day, someone speaks to us.

"Nice day"
"Lovely dog"*

How bloody dare people say nice things to you!

Wear a sign saying GRUMPY PERSON, PLEASE IGNORE.

WorraLiberty Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:48

Are you Samantha Brick?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:51

I just can't get past the hideous ageist language "old bag" "old biddie". Reallyhmm

popalot Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:52

They're just being chatty because lots of people like dogs.

usualsuspect333 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:58

YABU, you young bag.

BarbarianMum Fri 19-Jun-15 17:07:59

Yanbu. Have you thought of getting matching FUCK OFF Tshirts for you and the dog? You may find it helps.

RhinosAreFatUnicorns Fri 19-Jun-15 17:09:00

Really?? Or am I missing the sarcasm? One of the best bits about having a dog was lovely people wanting to talk to me and my ace dog!

cogitosum Fri 19-Jun-15 17:09:06

Is this a parody of the upset baby thread?

Theycallmemellowjello Fri 19-Jun-15 17:10:06

Wait I've just realised that you're the person who started the tread complaining about this kind of hideous language. Wtaf?

SteelyMindedLiberal Fri 19-Jun-15 17:10:09

Is this a joke?

There's a lot of evidence to suggest that keeping a dog is calming and can help owners become less uptight. Sounds like that's just as well smile

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 19-Jun-15 17:10:14

Fucking heck have you thought of moving to a desert island

ifgrandmahadawilly Fri 19-Jun-15 17:10:30

I'm pretty sure this thread is supposed to be satirical - like the many pfb threads in the same vein.

travertine Fri 19-Jun-15 17:10:45

Missing out on a joke again I expect. Won't waste my time in future.

CaptainAnkles Fri 19-Jun-15 17:10:47

Oh, is it a TAAT? I didn't see the original one so I didn't get it. Sorry.

hiddenhome Fri 19-Jun-15 17:10:47

Trade the dog in for a tarantula. No bugger wants to know you then confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now