Talk

Advanced search

to ask for your new kitchen advice / experiences

(13 Posts)
ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 20:56:22

because everyone loves a housey thread grin

about to move into a new house that needs a new kitchen - I have never done a kitchen before and ex husband is already making 'you will need to spend £54646464 and you'll get it all wrong' noises

so what should I do to make sure I get it right

I am buying the kitchen - I have my own fitter - what are the pit falls and top tips

Thank you grin

MehsMum Fri 12-Jun-15 21:05:40

You can never have too many drawers: big deep ones for saucepans, plastic tubs, etc etc. I had some made which have upright slots into which I put my baking trays, roasting tins etc. I also have a lot of small ones for all the crap that winds up in the kitchen (dog de-flea stuff, elastic bands, takeaway menus, painkillers, batteries, twine, cupcake cases etc etc etc).

I also have a drawer with full-height dividers so I know where in the drawer to look for the rolling pin or the tongs or the salad servers.

If you need them, a bookshelf for your cookbooks and a spice cupboard.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 21:20:19

thank you grin

I have added many draws it to my list of things I need x

SwingingBalls Fri 12-Jun-15 21:24:32

There's a thread somewhere about the ins and outs of planning for a new kitchen. I think it's in property/diy section. It has loads of good ideas and tips.
Unfortunately I'm crap at links.

Pastaeater Fri 12-Jun-15 21:24:35

I have just had my kitchen done and I have wooden worktops, which I love, but they are a sodding nightmare if you are not v careful with them. sad

Peachy27 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:26:33

Just absolutely make sure your fitter is up to the job. We hired a handyman, (recommended by a friend, he had done other jobs for her but not fitted a kitchen), we naively didn't go and look at a kitchen he had fitted and whilst he was cheap the poor workmanship still bugs me three years on. The saving on labour was not worth it, should have hired someone who just did kitchens, not a 'jack of all trades, master of none!'

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 21:27:53

thanks grin I'll look up that thread Swing

Pasta I've already decided on laminate wood effect for that reason

SwingingBalls Fri 12-Jun-15 21:29:32

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1554664-The-MN-lessons-learnt-kitchen-thread

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:34

good tip Peachy - this guy has done work for me in the past - he's very good but slow as he pays a lot of attention to detail

SwingingBalls Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:51

Oh, I've suprised myself there Didn't think I coukd do that.

There's a few kitchen threads in that topic.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:58

Thanks SwiningBalls xxx

MoominMama22 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:33:01

Avoid Homebase whatever you do. They promised 21 day delivery, I was 5 months pregnant . 4 months+ before we had it all. Yup I managed to bring new life but they couldn't manage to bring us the kitchen cabinets. Bloody nightmare. Total stressfest and no apology.

Diy-kitchens are pretty good, we've used them several times now on kitchens we've planned ourselves. Cheaper than b and q and proper rigid units.

The alno kitchen planner is free to download and pretty good for tinkering with layouts and doing floor plans and 3d views.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now