Talk

Advanced search

to think it is poor etiquette to post spoilers for the Strictly result on Facebook?

(57 Posts)
MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:29:15

I can imagine how this thread is going to go, so I'll preempt it with:

1). Yes, I know I should have stayed away from all social media, and

2). Yes, it really is a first world problem.

But lots of people watch telly on catch-up and I was looking forward to watching the final with a bit of ironing later. Facebook is for posting pics of your kids and kitten videos. Not for spoilers dammit.

And it's not as if posting your congratulations to the winners is a scintillating read or anything.

Grrr!

Philoslothy Sun 21-Dec-14 10:30:49

It is 't a spoiler, it has been and gone.

insancerre Sun 21-Dec-14 10:31:46

Yabu
Its TV

flowery Sun 21-Dec-14 10:32:02

YABU in the nicest possible way. As you say, you knew you should stay away from social media. Of course people are going to discuss it. Social media is about sharing and discussing experiences.

BeHoHoHove Sun 21-Dec-14 10:32:31

It's annoying but once the programme has aired it isn't a spoiler anymore.

flowery Sun 21-Dec-14 10:33:16

A spoiler is posting the ending of Homeland before it's aired.

MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:33:29

It's only a telly programme. Why feel the need to pronounce about it and spoil it for others.

You wouldn't update a status with the denouement of a plot surely.

MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:34:13

Ok. The word spoiler wasn't the best choice.

SamCroClaus Sun 21-Dec-14 10:34:28

sorry yabu
it was a live tv show, of course people are going to post about it.

InternetFOREVER Sun 21-Dec-14 10:34:41

I know what you mean, but YABU. I try to stay off social media if I'm catching up with this kind of programme (and inevitably forget and find out who won/ went out, but I blame myself, not the internet!)

MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:36:53

"
it was a live tv show, of course people are going to post about it."

In my experience, nobody comments on live telly on my Facebook feed. Just this once. Maybe it's an age group thing.

Dipankrispaneven Sun 21-Dec-14 10:38:03

But how long should people keep quiet about this for? People may not get round to watching it on iPlayer for several days, e.g. if they are abroad. If you wait a week to start commenting on the result, it'll be old news.

The reality is that it's incredibly difficult not to find out the result when it'll be prominent in newspapers and on news websites. If you really don't want to know, you'd have to stay indoors and keep off the internet.

springbabydays Sun 21-Dec-14 10:39:51

Twitter's worsefor this than Facebook ime but it's your responsibility to avoid 'spoilers' as you're the one who missed it live!

southeastastra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:40:20

the result was on the news site which I find silly. its a TV show not news ... reality TV really has taken over everything. twitter is full of e factor etc I just don't geddit

soverylucky Sun 21-Dec-14 10:43:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:43:02

Ok MN thinks I a BU. But I'm still seething.

zaracharlotte Sun 21-Dec-14 10:45:07

If something has happened, and is public knowledge, it is your own responsibility to avoid the information being discussed.

Football results, TV show finales, reality TV results, news.

Sorry, yabu.

MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:47:43

I refer everyone back to point 1 of my OP.

I know I should have avoided FB.

My Aibu was that it's poor form to make a dull and insipid update that spoils is for others.

MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:48:53

Anyway had enough now. MN has pronounced. grin.

Philoslothy Sun 21-Dec-14 10:50:19

I could have given you a spoiler for this thread to save you getting a pasting grin

corkybolleaux Sun 21-Dec-14 10:57:36

AIBU to ask who won?! I don't know the result fgrin

MardyBra Sun 21-Dec-14 11:02:46

I am actually wondering if it is an age thing. My experience of FB is that nobody normally does this sort of thing, but I am at the older end of the MN demographic. I might get a different response on gransnet.

comeagainforbigfudge Sun 21-Dec-14 11:04:39

Oh I know how you feel OP. I was working all day yesterday. DH was playing computer games when I got in. = no TV for me.

Stupidly went of FB. 1st post I saw told me who won. Arrrrghhhh! Don't even want to watch it now.

usualsuspect333 Sun 21-Dec-14 11:05:39

I'm old and I think YABU.

JoanHickson Sun 21-Dec-14 11:07:51

People do get very upset about spoilers. I have no idea why some feel public knowledge shouldn't be discussed. How is anyone to know what is precious to whom? It's a bit like narcissistic magical thinking. I avoid people who think the world should revolve around them, they are too much hard work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now