Talk

Advanced search

To think that £20 is ok for two sandwiches?

(66 Posts)
Everythingwillbeok Fri 28-Nov-14 16:44:18

And chips and wine?

I've met a friend today for lunch and she almost argued that the pub we had found was expensive and we should leave and go somewhere else.

I pointed out you would be hard pressed to find somewhere else serving sandwiches for less....this was a cosy pub with an open fire and fairy lights up!! I didn't want to go somewhere else!

She kept saying £5 for a sandwich!!

I kept adding I don't think that's bad you get chips/ salad or soup too not just a sandwich.

The wine was £5 for a large.

We are in similar positions financially,it was her idea to go for lunch,AIBU?

juneybean Fri 28-Nov-14 16:45:29

I think £10 each for lunch is fair.

Fudgalisious Fri 28-Nov-14 16:45:47

Think £5 is fairly standard for sandwiches in a pub

BumWad Fri 28-Nov-14 16:46:08

I think it sounds very reasonable! And a fire and fairy lights. Perfect winter lunch smile

usualsuspect333 Fri 28-Nov-14 16:46:26

Your thread title is a little misleading.

ProfYaffle Fri 28-Nov-14 16:46:38

With wine, that seems fairly standard to me.

NotTodaySatan Fri 28-Nov-14 16:47:13

Not unreasonable at all.

She sounds like a barrel of laughs hmm .

CattyCatCat Fri 28-Nov-14 16:47:22

So it was a tenner a head? Yanbu if so, sounds alright to me but I would have bought the bottle instead of two large glasses as there is usually not much difference in price. Your friend would love me smile

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Nov-14 16:47:25

A standard price

squoosh Fri 28-Nov-14 16:47:25

Sandwich, chips and large glass of wine for £10 per person sounds very reasonable to me. And all in front of an open fire? Lovely.

Viviennemary Fri 28-Nov-14 16:47:29

That sounds fine. I thought you meant £20 for just two sandwiches in which case that would be daylight robbery.

Siarie Fri 28-Nov-14 16:48:04

Very reasonable indeed.

squoosh Fri 28-Nov-14 16:49:09

Where did she want to bring you in her quest for a cheaper scrap of bread, a transport caff?

Mintyy Fri 28-Nov-14 16:49:14

Why not put the whole question in the thread title? confused

TheJiminyConjecture Fri 28-Nov-14 16:49:39

Sounds cheap to me! I'm not a fan of paying a tenner for a sarnie on its own but with chips I'd think it was ok. Chips, wine and a fire I'd be in heaven.

Unless it was a horrible flavour obviously. Need to know what you had to judge correctly wink

Coconutty Fri 28-Nov-14 16:51:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hmmmwhatnow Fri 28-Nov-14 16:52:35

Sad reflection of us being turned into zombies who know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Everythingwillbeok Fri 28-Nov-14 16:53:20

Sorry thought the full thing of sandwiches,chips,salad or soup plus wine was a bit long for the title.

I thought I was being really extravagant and don't go out for lunch much anymore tend to eat out a night more now when the kids are on sleepovers.

so she had me wondering if wasn't the going rate although I did keep saying it wasn't bad.

squoosh Fri 28-Nov-14 16:54:03

I don't think zombies are into sandwiches. I think they prefer a nibble on human flesh for their lunch.

SaucyJack Fri 28-Nov-14 16:56:42

It's a standard price.... but that doesn't mean it isn't still extortionately expensive for what you get:

AdoraBell Fri 28-Nov-14 16:57:28

When I read the thread title I thought -sheesh a tenner for a sarnieshock fuck that.

but £10 for a pub lunch with wine is perfectly acceptable, so YANBU.

kim147 Fri 28-Nov-14 16:58:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Everythingwillbeok Fri 28-Nov-14 16:58:48

ThejiminyConjecture I had bacon,chicken and mayo with chips.

She had tuna crunch with salad.

We both had a large white wine.

Guess who ended up paying? As she faffed about that long umming and ahing about the price the barman came over twice for our order I was embarrassed.

I ended up saying oh pick what ever you fancy ill get it.

So she did shock

ShatnersBassoon Fri 28-Nov-14 16:59:52

Lunch for two incl wine for £20 would have been a more helpful title here wink

I guess your friend hasn't had a sandwich in a pub for a number of years either, but she was more surprised than you at how much they now cost. You were unsure, she was amazed.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Fri 28-Nov-14 17:01:11

That seems quite reasonable and a below average price as long as the food was decent quality and I say that as someone who thinks that most pub/coffee shop type food is over-priced.

I don't usually drink wine in pubs this country because it's always £4/5 per glass for rubbish wine that would cost that price for a bottle in a supermarket.

And you would pay more than that for a similar amount of food/drink at a service station (OK you couldn't have wine, but a sandwich, chips and a coffee would also cost a tenner or more).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now