Talk

Advanced search

to think that giving a 6yo a playtime detention is not on?

(96 Posts)
BrokenBananaTantrum Sun 19-May-13 18:39:59

DD who is in Year 2 and is 6yo got 7 out of 11 in her spelling test on Friday. She has been told that she will lose all her playtime on Monday to write out the spellings again. She was in tears when she got home and told us.

AIBU to think this is not on at all. They brought the rule in a couple of weeks ago that if they don't 8 or more out of 11 they lose their playtime. Parents have not been informed of this officially.

DH is taking her to school in the morning and is going to challenge this with her teacher. Would love advice on the best approach.

Thanks

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 19-May-13 18:42:08

I think a playtime detention is fine. I don't think it's fine for missing some spelling mistakes.

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Sun 19-May-13 18:43:34

YANBU they should not be punished for this. Reward them if they get them all right maybe, as then there is an incentive (am thinking a sticker/team point/certificate etc) but don't agree with punishing.

AgentZigzag Sun 19-May-13 18:44:04

Seems a bit harsh to me for a 6 YO.

Have you talked to other parents about what they think?

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Sun 19-May-13 18:44:45

Forgot to add I agree with it if its for being naughty, but I wouldn't say getting spellings wrong is naughty.

rubyslippers Sun 19-May-13 18:45:41

i think it is totally dis-incentivising and discouraging to punish for a spelling test

they are 6 years old

Euphemia Sun 19-May-13 18:45:49

What a terrible idea! Since when did the threat of punishment motivate a child to learn?!

I'd be cheeky and suggest that the teaching was at fault, not the pupil. grin

No I wouldn't. smile I'd perhaps suggest that a more positive intervention, like informing the children of the steps they could take to improve their spelling, would yield better results than punishing the children.

Or DH could ask the teacher why s/he thinks the children are not doing as well as expected in their spelling test, and what re-teaching s/he is planning to ensure that the children progress.

Sirzy Sun 19-May-13 18:46:02

for bad behaviour it is fine, not so keen on it for spellings though.

Did she try to learn them and were they suitable for her ability?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 19-May-13 18:47:36

That's outrageous!

I think play time removal can be an appropriate punishment for some things it I would be livid if my dses got punished for getting spellings wrong!

If the spellings are too difficult, no amount of missing playtime will change that. Terrible teaching practice IMO.

nenevomito Sun 19-May-13 18:48:04

Are you sure its the whole playtime - I doubt it takes that long to write out 11 words. Have you been practicing spellings with her at home?

Groovee Sun 19-May-13 18:48:44

If she'd battered every child in the class, I could understand but spelling mistakes??? I'd be complaining about this poor practice.

schoolchauffeur Sun 19-May-13 18:49:02

I think a playtime detention is fine for poor behaviour issues either within or without the classroom- but only after clear warning.

Detention for spelling test failure at that age is just wrong.- so demotivating. My DCs were at a fairly pushy prep and for not getting all the words right in a test, they would simply be asked to have another go at learning the ones they missed along with the ones for the following week or do some more worksheets etc within class time.

sue52 Sun 19-May-13 18:49:53

It's a good way to put a six year old off school. YANBU.

Hulababy Sun 19-May-13 18:50:39

Playtime "detention" for poor behaviour - ok

Ant form of punishment for scoring low on a spelling test - not ok

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 19-May-13 18:50:59

A blanket level for all concerns me. Targets should be set for each individual child. If a child obviously isn't trying then restricting other activities to repeat the work, I sort of understand. To just say all should get 8 or more puts a lot of stress on the spelling and could just result in not bothering to try at all if the 8 out of 11 is a stretch.

Do you feel is obtainable? Could you suggest an alternative approach like any that are spelt wrong get added to the top of the list for the next week - hence the better spellers end up with more words over the year and at the other extreme they get the basic hpefully 100 key words.

Hulababy Sun 19-May-13 18:51:46

As spelling tests have no real education value anyway I would definitely not be happy with this. they do not enable children to learn to spell. This has been shown time and time again.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 19-May-13 18:55:23

That's not on at all, different if she had been naughty, but for spelling at her age that's just inhuman.

However I would suggest that your DH goes in with a more agreeable approach. As you have not been officially told, he could start it with "We have heard this bizarre story that you are keeping children in from getting much needed exercise at break time because they aren't scoring enough in their spelling. I know of course that it can't be true but I felt I needed to let you know that these strange stories are going round.."

BrokenBananaTantrum Sun 19-May-13 18:56:44

Thanks everyone for your replies
AgentZigzag* other parent I spoke to thought it was a terrible idea too
euphemia she did try to learn them but they didn't have their phonics session this week where they practise them. I make her a sheet each week where she writes them out each day and I write them on her whiteboard in her bedroom too.
babyheave spoke to another parent whose child has been on the receiving end of this and it is for the whole playtime.
I agree that this would be fine if she had been behaving badly but just feel that this is just not on

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sun 19-May-13 18:58:46

I was all set to say YABU because I think being kept in at playtime is fine if they're naughty. Getting some spellings wrong is not naughty and TISBVU to punish your DD or any other child this way. My DD is a bit of a goody goody and gets anxious about getting things wrong. If she was kept in for getting her spellings wrong I can almost guarntee she'd do even worse at her spellings the following week because she'd be worrying so much.

I'd challenge this too. Just to check though who told you of the detention? Your DD or did you get a letter home? Only because your child might have got it wrong and if so steaming there having a go could make things very awkward if thats the case.

CecilyP Sun 19-May-13 18:59:15

YANBU

I agree being kept in at playtime for bad behaviour, especially if a warning had been given, is fine.

Being kept in at playtime for not doing so well in a spelling test is just wrong. Especially if it is called a detention which implies a punishment, rather than extra help to improve their spelling.

I would definitely go in and follow Euphemia's suggestions.

kim147 Sun 19-May-13 19:00:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Sun 19-May-13 19:00:39

they didn't have their phonics session this week where they practise them

That makes it all the more unfair, then, if she didn't get the usual teaching input.

Shocking!

pigletmania Sun 19-May-13 19:01:21

That is very harsh for that age. I would ave a word with her teacher

Euphemia Sun 19-May-13 19:03:23

I teach the lowest ability group in P3: an individual's score can vary from 2/10 to 10/10 from one week to another! I know they are trying their best, and that's all that matters to me. Sometimes there are barriers to learning, sometimes they've just had an off week. They deserve my support, not punishment.

BackforGood Sun 19-May-13 19:06:21

Agree with everyone else.
No, I don't think it's unreasonable to keep a child in at playtime if they have disrupted the lesson or 'opted out' of the lesson in some other way, but I wouldn't include "not being good enough at spelling" as a reason for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now