Talk

Advanced search

Crude texts on my dp's phone

(38 Posts)
Beeyump Fri 10-May-13 11:31:05

I am a long time lurker on Mumsnet, but took the plunge and commented on a thread the other day. It felt quite amazing!

Aaanyway, I gather that it's a bit unwise to make a first time post on AIBU, but I would genuinely like to know what others think of this situation:
I am staying with my dp for a couple of days (we are in a long distance relationship) and... I looked at his phone while he was in the shower. I know, I know! That was wrong, though I did it out of idle curiosity and wanting to check what I had said in a previous text which I hadn't saved, rather than suspicion of anything untoward.

I saw the following texts from a friend of his who lives nearby: 'Lucky bastard, heard that Beeyump's here. Are you going to ram her?' 'How does she like it?' and then, simply, 'Fuck!'
Ahem. I just don't quite know what to think. Am I being prudish? AIBU to be rather disgusted? Does my looking at his phone mean I don't get to be pissed off?

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Fri 10-May-13 11:33:17

I dont see the issue. Yes his mate sent weird texts to him about you but you don't state whether your DP said anything.

If your DP hasn't said anything then its a non issue

livinginwonderland Fri 10-May-13 11:33:57

I think it's just guy talk. I know my DP talks about me with his guy mates at work or at the pub, and I'm sure sex talk comes up sometimes too. I just think there are worse things he could be saying and as long he's not discussing specific details, I'm not going to waste my energy getting upset.

Beeyump Fri 10-May-13 11:35:04

He had deleted his replies, I got the impression that he had engaged in conversation with the guy, mainly from the 'Fuck!' (Gosh)

FreddieMisaGREATshag Fri 10-May-13 11:35:05

You must've had some suspicion to look - I'd never look at someone else's phone even if they left it lying at their backside.

Beeyump Fri 10-May-13 11:35:59

I think I may be quite naïve blush

harleyd Fri 10-May-13 11:36:09

'are you going to ram her'

lol! what age are they!

Thisisaeuphemism Fri 10-May-13 11:36:12

eurgh. Is your DP 15?

OhLori Fri 10-May-13 11:39:08

How well do you know him? e.g. What are his friends like? What is he like?! You say you are in a long-distance relationship, but its hard to tell much more about your relationship with each other from your original post.

Numberlock Fri 10-May-13 11:39:37

Did you not check his sent messages?

Agreed that the "Fuck" sounds as though he replied but it could have been "Mind your own fucking business".

How is your boyfriend otherwise, respect-wise?

Beeyump Fri 10-May-13 11:40:00

Hahaha, yes it's probably more puerile than disgusting I suppose. We are both in our mid twenties.

Nanny0gg Fri 10-May-13 11:40:32

Some may call it prudish.
I would say that if you are being discussed in that way then I would call it disrespectful.

Foul.

valiumredhead Fri 10-May-13 11:41:10

What made you look at his phone?

PurpleBlossom Fri 10-May-13 11:41:58

'Are you going to ram her?'

Cringe!

These are messages you were never meant to see, I wouldn't let it bother you. I'm sure you've said things to your friends that DP wouldn't be thrilled about.

MagicHouse Fri 10-May-13 11:44:00

I wouldn't like that. Very immature and disrespectful. Depends what he's like otherwise as to what I'd do about it.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 10-May-13 11:45:59

If he talked about you in a crude way then it seems disrespectful

However if he joked: "she likes it while dressed as a nun" then it may just be puerile, childish, stupid.

Either wouldn't be for me, depends if its for you.

DeepRedBetty Fri 10-May-13 11:46:18

Welcome to being a Proper MNetter, not just a Lurker!

BF sounds like a teenager... without his replies we can't make a full judgment though.

If he's normally well behaved grin I'd leave it.

Beeyump Fri 10-May-13 11:46:55

I do know him well, we have been together for a couple of years now but I had health issues, which I won't go into, which meant living together wasn't an option. He is finishing university now.
I like a lot of his friends, but not so keen on this guy.

On looking at the phone, it was just curiosity to see who he had been texting. Being apart from him, I do sometimes feel as though I don't know enough of his day to day life. I feel as though I shouldn't have done it though, guilty twinges!

Beeyump Fri 10-May-13 11:48:29

And he is normally 'well behaved' grin and rather sweet. I think that's what made it more weird.

valiumredhead Fri 10-May-13 11:49:27

This is exactly why I have a PIN number on my phone! wink

Numberlock Fri 10-May-13 11:50:05

If he's engaged in similar comments, it would be a deal-breaker for me. It indicates to me he's a misogynistic arsehole.

DoctorAnge Fri 10-May-13 11:50:34

Yuk

LifeofPo Fri 10-May-13 11:50:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sweetestcup Fri 10-May-13 11:52:07

I think its a bit odd that he has deleted his replies and left his pals to be honest, whats that all about?

rambososcar Fri 10-May-13 11:54:01

If you hadn't been looking at another adult's personal messages you'd be none the wiser. It was crude, not threatening. Put it in the past where it belongs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now