Talk

Advanced search

to assume we would share a twin room rather than forking out for a room each?

(83 Posts)
vanillanice Sat 20-Aug-11 22:10:11

Best friend asked me if I wanted to go on a one night spa break with her next month. Her DH is away on a stag do so she thought it would be nice to get away. I rarely get a night away from the kids so jumped at the chance. She said she would research it all online and let me know what hotels are available. We agreed a price of no more than £170 for a room.

She texted me earlier to say that there's only a couple of spa breaks available and the cheapest room is £150 including breakfast. I naively assumed that we would be sharing a room so the price would come to £75 each. Expensive, but as I don't get the chance to go out much I'm prepared to pay it.

I texted her back saying, yeah book the room, just check it is a twin room rather than a double. She's replied saying she wants her own room so it would be £150 each.

No way I can afford this. My fault for assuming we'd share, but seriously who goes on a girly night away and then has their own room. Seems a needless waste of money too. It's not like we don't know each other very well.

Going to ring her tomorrow to say we either share a room or she'll have to go with someone else, as my budget wont stretch this far.

worraliberty Sat 20-Aug-11 22:12:12

I would have assumed you'd share too.

I know it's childish, but sharing a room and chatting before bed is part of the fun grin

inchoccyheaven Sat 20-Aug-11 22:12:22

I would want my own room so I don't keep anyone up with my snoring blush

squeakytoy Sat 20-Aug-11 22:12:37

YANBU.. she is. Stick to your guns.

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Aug-11 22:12:44

yeah that's quite weird! i would assume you would share too

maybe she does weird things at night???

EuphemiaMcGonagall Sat 20-Aug-11 22:13:32

YABU - you should have checked before she booked it.

As an adult, I would expect my own room unless my friend stated otherwise.

smoggii Sat 20-Aug-11 22:13:52

YANBU - the point of a girly weekend is that you chill out together!

TeamEdward Sat 20-Aug-11 22:14:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ifancyashandy Sat 20-Aug-11 22:14:51

I'm the same as 'ImaChoccy' and would want my own room as I snore like a loon & would hate to keep others up.

vanillanice Sat 20-Aug-11 22:15:56

I had visions of us drinking too much wine, getting tipsy and talking into the small hours. Instead looks like we'd be tucked up in bed by 10, I can do this with dh at home!

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Sat 20-Aug-11 22:16:43

I'm with inchoccyheaven and Ifancyashandy blush

EuphemiaMcGonagall Sat 20-Aug-11 22:17:38

I've been on spa weekends with two separate friends, both the same age as me.

One wants separate rooms.

One wants to share.

You need to discuss this ahead of booking! You assume one thing, friend assumes another - disaster!

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-11 22:17:47

Never assume it makes an ass out of u and me.

It's a bitch. I could never justify £150. but I don't think I'd want to share a room or sleep in a single bed if it was me tbh.

TidyDancer Sat 20-Aug-11 22:17:54

Hmmm. Yes, under these circumstances, I would assume you to be sharing as well. But then I would probably like a room of my own too ideally. Obviously I don't mind sharing with DP, but it's quite nice to be on your own for a whole night sometimes!

Tell your friend as soon as possible that you can't afford it so she doesn't book and lose money.

inchoccyheaven Sat 20-Aug-11 22:18:02

You can still do that and then go to own bed to sleep, Well I would anyway.

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-11 22:18:40

Have you had a look on groupon they often have spa deals on there.

cat64 Sat 20-Aug-11 22:19:09

Message withdrawn

Meglet Sat 20-Aug-11 22:19:52

I'd want my own room too. I'd have to wear nice presentable pj's if I shared.

vanillanice Sat 20-Aug-11 22:20:07

I don't quite know how I'm going to break it to her. I can tell I'm going to end up paying for my own room rather than disappoint her...

GreenEyesandHam Sat 20-Aug-11 22:20:24

I would have 100% assumed it was to be a roomshare

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Aug-11 22:22:49

text her now! before she books it

all you have to say is
"so sorry, I assumed we'd be sharing. I really can't afford £150 right now so don't think I'll be able to come"

ChumleeIsMyHomeboy Sat 20-Aug-11 22:22:59

Another one here who snores like a rutting water buffalo! I always assume nobody who knows me would want to share a room with me!

upahill Sat 20-Aug-11 22:23:34

I go away loads with my mates and we always share.
In fact thinking about it the last 3 times I went away with a male friend we shared a room (YHA hostel)

So yeah if it was a cloose friend I would assume sharing but I go away a lot socially and with work and always share.

Scuttlebutter Sat 20-Aug-11 22:26:19

YABU to assume this. I've been on weekends away with close female friends and with very close female relatives and we've always had our own rooms. Doesn't stop us having girly chats in pyjamas.

If you can't afford it, tell her so - be honest with her. Otherwise you will go and all she will smell is the scent of gently roasting martyr, and you will be bitter and resentful all weekend. No fun for anybody.

vanillanice Sat 20-Aug-11 22:27:12

Texted another friend who might share the cost of my room with me, so that would help with paying for the room. Just not sure my friend will approve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now