A bit of excitement, police with machine guns have just sealed off our street!

(106 Posts)
nickymanchester Sat 15-May-21 10:18:37

We're just over visiting our DD. She lives in a street full of terraced houses and three police SUVs have pulled up and blocked the street.

Then five policemen got out and suited up. They have the lot on - helmets, machine guns etc and are standing outside a house about 50 yards down the street.

No idea what is happening but this is really just an ordinary street - not used to seeing machine guns round this way!

OP’s posts: |
ItsAlwaysAFriendNeverMe Sat 15-May-21 10:26:33

🍿🍿🍿

Here for inevitable updates...grin

LeanneBrownsLonelyBraincell Sat 15-May-21 10:29:31

This happened in my (very sleepy) Close once,

Never did find out what had happened.

Make sure you come back and update us OP!

Karwomannghia Sat 15-May-21 10:29:54

Ooh very line of duty! Whereabouts are you? Probably drugs!

PlanDeRaccordement Sat 15-May-21 10:34:46

Either drugs or a terror bomb making cell.
They wouldn’t suit up that much for a pop up brothel.

doitwithlove Sat 15-May-21 10:38:11

Exciting, Saturday shenanigans 😁

TokyoSushi Sat 15-May-21 10:38:52

👀

Advertisement

nickymanchester Sat 15-May-21 10:40:32

Well, a bit of an update.

A whole load of people have almost run out of the house and the (okay, bit of an exaggeration - walked very quickly indeed) and were ushered across to the other side of the road.

A police van turned up and one guy has been arrested.

But I don't think that's who the police are after as they (the ones with machine guns) are still staring at the house.

user1471538283 Sat 15-May-21 10:41:00

Years ago this happened next door to my friend's mum. A sleepy street in a sleepy village. Her neighbour had a gun arsenal is his back bedroom that included ... a rocket launcher and grenades. His mum said that he was a good neighbour and very quiet ...

nickymanchester Sat 15-May-21 10:41:25

Forgot to say, DD has been talking to one of her neighbours. They say that somebody has been taken hostage.

Hoppinggreen Sat 15-May-21 10:42:19

Exciting and I hope everyone is ok but I doubt they are machine guns

itsgettingwierd Sat 15-May-21 10:44:59

I'd be curtain twitching too!

It's awful because you know in situations like this someone somewhere is suffering but when it's unusual you can't help but feel the adrenaline and excitement.

Bet you're glad you visited DD today grin

ItsAlwaysAFriendNeverMe Sat 15-May-21 10:45:56

nickymanchester

Well, a bit of an update.

A whole load of people have almost run out of the house and the (okay, bit of an exaggeration - walked very quickly indeed) and were ushered across to the other side of the road.

A police van turned up and one guy has been arrested.

But I don't think that's who the police are after as they (the ones with machine guns) are still staring at the house.

Interesting. Hope it's not a bomb/terrorism scare?

ItsAlwaysAFriendNeverMe Sat 15-May-21 10:46:53

nickymanchester

Forgot to say, DD has been talking to one of her neighbours. They say that somebody has been taken hostage.

Ooh, that too!

mocktail Sat 15-May-21 10:47:42

Definitely not machine guns grin

Waggily Sat 15-May-21 10:49:54

This happened on my street a good few years. Opened the door to go to work and was shooed back in by a policeman with a gun. It turned out someone was threatening to blow the house up due a mental health episode. That was an interesting phone call to work!

MobyDicksTinyCanoe Sat 15-May-21 10:53:02

Ooooohhh, I love a bit of drama.

There's a particular area dp and I always make sure we walk through on the way to the Co-Op, it takes longer but its worth it. I've lost count on the number of times my dp has seen Dawn raids on his way to work 😂😂😂

TheLastLotus Sat 15-May-21 11:02:25

ooh how exciting
*porbbaly not for the poor hostage tho feel guilty

nickymanchester Sat 15-May-21 11:07:05

OK, so we just watched them going in.

They got into some sort of close formation (like a rugby scrum is the only way I can describe it) and moved to the front door.

They then shouted out "Armed police! Come to the door!"

After a few minutes stood at the door they then went inside. Haven't heard any shooting so I guess everything is okay.

By the way, to pp who said they're not machine guns, well, I'm sorry but that's what they look like to me. Just did a quick google and perhaps I should have said assault rifle or something like that?

Volcanoexplorer Sat 15-May-21 11:07:50

Blimey, bit of excitement on a Saturday morning. Hope everyone is ok, especially the hostage if there is one.

Mrsjayy Sat 15-May-21 11:09:50

Sounds like drug manufacturers with a sideline in people trafficking shock

ballsdeep Sat 15-May-21 11:13:44

The most excitement I've had this Saturday is a bacon sandwich!
I'm jealous op!

TheQueef Sat 15-May-21 11:14:53

I thought armed response units had semi/auto weapons?

TheQueef Sat 15-May-21 11:15:23

Bit of a derail.

Mrsjayy Sat 15-May-21 11:17:19

I've had my vaccine this morning so a bit exciting .

A total arsehole used to life opposite us the police were always in the street no shields and guns though .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in