Talk

Advanced search

Do you bleach your bath?

(165 Posts)
Littleduckeggblue Mon 12-Aug-19 17:35:45

After reading on another thread about people using (or in this case not using) bleach when cleaning their baths I was shocked to hear that I'm in the minority of people who do this.
Do you use bleach to clean your baths?

FiveLittlePigs Mon 12-Aug-19 17:38:44

Why bleach the bath? A bit of Stardrops diluted is fine!

Frith2013 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:38:59

I don’t use bleach at all. Anywhere.

BarbaraStrozzi Mon 12-Aug-19 17:39:02

No, because I have an old-fashioned enamelled bath and it knackers the enamel.

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Mon 12-Aug-19 17:39:51

We don't own any bleach.

Ohyesiam Mon 12-Aug-19 17:40:16

No, there’s no need unless one of your family has an infectious skin condition ( or poos in the bath).

InsertFunnyUsername Mon 12-Aug-19 17:41:22

I do.

PolkadotLollipop Mon 12-Aug-19 17:41:45

No. I just use Flash all purpose liquid.

Alsohuman Mon 12-Aug-19 17:42:05

Why would you? Cleaning it’s enough, surely?

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 12-Aug-19 17:42:10

I use cif cream and elbow grease to remove the scuzz/dead skin tide mark rather then bleach it white.
Get some. Rub it with a cloth. The grey filth that comes off it will make you boak.

MissRabbitNeedsAHoliday Mon 12-Aug-19 17:43:19

I do, i always bleach my full bathroom. I thought that was normal blush

greenmentalsoup Mon 12-Aug-19 17:44:33

Nope. Seems more hassle than it's worth and I'd be worried than any residue might irritate the kids skin.

ElizaPancakes Mon 12-Aug-19 17:44:45

I don’t use it to clean the bath but I do use it on the manky old seal that gets mouldy very quickly.

HotChocWithCream Mon 12-Aug-19 17:45:09

My bathrooms get bleached - walls (tiled), floor, toilets, sinks. I thought it was normal?

orangeicecream Mon 12-Aug-19 17:45:16

I don't use any bleach.

munemema Mon 12-Aug-19 17:46:28

No, it's never occurred to me to do so. I very occasionally wipe the grouting/sealant around the bath with bleach to deal with mold/mildew.

BertieBotts Mon 12-Aug-19 17:46:32

Er... no? Why would it need bleaching?? Bleach is to kill germs or whiten stains. My bath has none of those things, normal cleaning spray or hot soapy water is fine.

dementedpixie Mon 12-Aug-19 17:46:48

I'm scared of bleach and the effect it would have on my clothes if I splashed it. I use CIF cream cleaner usually

BertieBotts Mon 12-Aug-19 17:47:28

Yes, fair point - would probably use if there was mould. The anti mould sprays tend to have bleach in them.

Skittlenommer Mon 12-Aug-19 17:49:13

My housekeeper cleans it but pretty sure she doesn’t use bleach! Whatever she does it’s gleaming afterwards!

Fatted Mon 12-Aug-19 17:49:40

Yes. As far as I'm concerned my bathroom is not clean unless I can see my reflection in the tiles and it smells like a swimming pool.

The reality is with other cleaning products I would have to scrub to get the grout clean. I can throw some bleach at it, wait five minutes, wipe and then rinse.

bloodywhitecat Mon 12-Aug-19 17:50:14

No, why would you bleach a bath? I don't bleach the loo either unless it is absolutely necessary as we are on a septic tank.

Fatted Mon 12-Aug-19 17:51:18

@BertieBotts

Fabuleuse Mon 12-Aug-19 17:51:23

I don't use bleach anywhere, apart from occasionally on mouldy sealant. In my bathroom I use Flash bathroom spray (non bleach version) and toilet cleaner. I don't really understand why you'd use bleach? It smells awful and is terrible for skin and clothes surely.

Mummyto2munchkins Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:01

Isn't using bleach to clean the bath normal?
I always use bleach to do a full clean in the bathroom?
What about all the dirty water you has a wash in? Surely dead skin cells would stick to the side? Or if you've got a cold or something and sneaze in it? shock

CassianAndor Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:15

No!!!!!!!

Mum2jenny Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:41

No bleach in my house

Fatted Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:44

Oops @BertieBotts most bathroom sprays have bleach in nowadays. Flash definitely do one with bleach. So people saying they don't use bleach may inadvertently do.

Raphael34 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:53:32

My whole bathroom gets bleached once a week. I love the smell of bleach and it just sparkles after, I just don’t feel it’s as clean if I use anything else

Junobug Mon 12-Aug-19 17:54:15

I sometimes stick a bit down the plug holes and on the grout to get rid of the black mould, but not round the bath. I do use it to whiten my butler sink though.

madeyemoodysmum Mon 12-Aug-19 17:54:15

Only maybe twice a year if kids been sick or poo explosion

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Mon 12-Aug-19 17:56:45

I don’t have bleach in the house. Can’t bear the smell and it isn’t necessary in my opinion.

The last time we had V&D in the house (a VERY long time ago) I used dettol but not bleach.

Dec2019mumtobe Mon 12-Aug-19 18:02:50

Yes, but not always.

Most the time, I use some other product. Then once in a while, a deeper clean with a bleach bathroom product.

Why? Bleach kills bacteria. I don't think cif and flash are antibacterial.

Mammyloveswine Mon 12-Aug-19 18:02:54

I always bleach my bathroom, my toilet and my kitchen! I thought it was the norm! confused

theneverendinglaundry Mon 12-Aug-19 18:03:00

Very very rarely use bleach, the last bottle I had lasted me 6 years!! Certianly never use it to clean the bath with.

MarthaDunstable Mon 12-Aug-19 18:03:54

Grout yes, the bath itself, no. I use a non-bleach spray and a plastic scourer to remove all residue.

PixieLumos Mon 12-Aug-19 18:09:37

No just regular bathroom cleaner. Unless you’ve just moved into a house or you only clean your bath once a year I don’t see why that would be necessary.

MarthaDunstable Mon 12-Aug-19 18:11:00

Bacteria won’t hang around on smooth clean dry porcelain. They need food. That said, if there’d been some form of disastrous and disgusting incident or horrible disease I probably would reach for the bleach just in case I’d missed a nook or cranny when scrubbing. I think I’m that rarest of Mumsnet creatures - someone who thinks that bleach is a safe useful product which has its place but who doesn’t use it routinely at every clean. Everyone else seems to be split into “But we’ll die of the germs if we don’t use bleach!” and “It’s an actual literal poison! Why do you have it in your home?”

GoGoGoGoGo Mon 12-Aug-19 18:11:56

No I just use a bathroom spray cleaner. I do put bleach down the toilet and in my kitchen sink.

NavyBlueHue Mon 12-Aug-19 18:12:43

I use bleach in the bath and toilet because I love the smell. I could use other cleaners but I like bleach. Horses for courses and you’re not alone OP.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Mon 12-Aug-19 18:12:59

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/11/regularly-using-bleach-linked-to-higher-risk-of-fatal-lung-disease

allthegins Mon 12-Aug-19 18:13:08

I only put bleach down the loo. I used flash everywhere else

NavyBlueHue Mon 12-Aug-19 18:14:07

Also I don’t use bleach to kill germs, I just like the way it brings up surfaces sparkly and the smell is fab.

NavyBlueHue Mon 12-Aug-19 18:15:17

... and it’s not an every day thing either.

Redcrayons Mon 12-Aug-19 18:15:19

Nope. I don’t really clean, just hose it down after I get out And a quick rinse before I run and new bath.
I put bleach down the loo once a week and I do clean the manky sealant with it once in a while. The smell makes me feel sick, so I don’t really use it that often.

Mereke Mon 12-Aug-19 18:15:27

I don't use bleach for anything. Last time I got a bottle was years ago.

ohmysoul Mon 12-Aug-19 18:16:10

Absolutely not. The only time I did was even DD did a massive poo in the bath that went absolutely everywhere.

CalamityJune Mon 12-Aug-19 18:17:18

In the toilet and for the grout

TeacupDrama Mon 12-Aug-19 18:18:38

bleach is really not necessary in a normal household ( ie no-one is immune deficient or recovering from a transplant or cancer or whose health is at more than average risk) there is no need for bleach it is not necessary unless someone has D &V so an average household would need 1-2 bottles a year at most
bleach does kill bacteria but not all bacteria need killing bleach is not good for the environment at all, bleach also does not remove the dead bacteria detergent is much much for this ( soap/ fairy liquid etc)
you should not use bleach if you have a septic tank, people with septic tanks do not get sick more often than those therefore bleach is not necessary
while lots of people bleach regularly ie once a week it is normal in the sense that lots of people do it but it is unnecessary and a marketing ploy there is no need for any anti-bacterials in any home unless it contains ill people
when hand washing is taught on cross infection courses at places like medical and dental practices it is emphasised that soap should NOT be anti-bacterial
it is thought that overuse of anti-bacterials and bleach is a major factor in antibiotic resistant bacteria and will in the end make the treatment of those seriously at risk from or with bacterial infections very much harder to treat
Triclosan is in many antibacterial cleaning products and is especially thought to be damaging there is an article in the lancet but it is behind a paywall

summary statement
"Antibacterial and antimicrobial cleaning products are no better at eliminating bacteria than cheaper plain soaps, detergents and warm water."

MsSquiz Mon 12-Aug-19 18:18:57

Never. I use Method shower spray after a bath and once a week clean it with the Method bathroom cleaner.

I only use bleach once a week down the toilets when giving them a good scrub

verystressedmum Mon 12-Aug-19 18:21:36

I use flash with bleach spray for the bathroom so I use that on it but no one has baths in my house so I just usually wipe it with a sponge scourer thing and rinse it as it gets dusty.
If the dog goes in it I would use a bit of spray.

verystressedmum Mon 12-Aug-19 18:24:20

However I do use bleach and anti bac stuff in the house dds immune system is not great after chemotherapy but I hate using chemicals but don't really know what else to use

fromthefloorboardsup Mon 12-Aug-19 18:28:53

I only use bleach down the loo. I used method bathroom spray on the bath, sink & shower. Smells a lot nicer- bleach makes me cough!

InMySpareTime Mon 12-Aug-19 18:44:51

I bleached the bath for the first time a few weeks ago when DD dyed her hair blue and left the bath with a blue tide mark.
Soap and scrubbing were not doing the trick so I resorted to bleach.
It's not nice for the enamel, but the blue was annoying!

bouncingraindrops Mon 12-Aug-19 18:51:27

I use bleach and fairy liquid for everything. I was brought up by my Nanna (I am over 40 now) and that's what she did. I have never spent money on spray cleaners. Thin bleach is dirt cheap and goes a long way.

DontCallMeShitley Mon 12-Aug-19 18:57:47

I still use Flash spray to remove the soap scum that is left behind when others 'clean' the bath.

Just tried Method but the smell got to me, it contains irritants. I read the label, tried it, then read it again and realised I had missed it the first time.

Bleach doesn't do that although I do ensure I don't breathe it in. I like the smell of bleach but I do limit use.

Solonelywastheballard Mon 12-Aug-19 19:15:18

Always use bleach, I prefer the smell. The cleaners without bleach smell horrible.

It cleans stuff better too.

GreenTulips Mon 12-Aug-19 19:22:28

Washing up liquid is the best thing for a baths surface

Bleach burns your lungs - why would you do that?

I only bleach drains if they are in desperate need and then sparingly

Littleduckeggblue Mon 12-Aug-19 19:29:56

Good to know other people bleach their bathrooms too

Firecarrier Mon 12-Aug-19 19:31:26

Occasionally yes. Also use fairy liquid as it works just as well and is much cheaper than fancy sprays. I also use bleach on stainless steel sink.

dementedpixie Mon 12-Aug-19 19:32:06

What does that actually mean? How much bleach, do you mix it with anything else, dilute it, etc? I wouldn't know what to do with it

BigSandyBalls2015 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:33:24

Wow mumsnet just keeps on giving with weird shit .... this would never enter my head! How dirty does a bath get, it’s not a toilet!!!

MonstranceClock Mon 12-Aug-19 19:35:25

I don't know anyone who doesn't bleach their bath?? I do mine once a week. Nothing else keeps it as white as bleach does.

Nonnymum Mon 12-Aug-19 19:38:10

I would never think of bleaching the bath. Doesn't it discolour or damage it?

Roominmyhouse Mon 12-Aug-19 19:40:39

Nope never bleached my bath and it’s still white and shiny. I use non bleach based cleaners and a bit of elbow grease. The only time I use bleach is about once a year when I bleach the grouting in the tiles.

bouncingraindrops Mon 12-Aug-19 19:41:50

I would never think of bleaching the bath. Doesn't it discolour or damage it?

Mine is enamel and is as shiny as the day it arrives which was over 20 years ago.

justasking111 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:44:29

I use bleach on seals, and on the lower tiles, shower in bath so they get mucky looking. Then a squirt of flash. We have one of those damn D baths, my arms are too short to stretch across so I use a kitchen pot brush to reach. Now and again a good scrub with Cif.

TheSandman Mon 12-Aug-19 19:45:24

No, it's never occurred to me to do so. I very occasionally wipe the grouting/sealant around the bath with bleach to deal with mold/mildew.

This.

And I'm a cleaner - that's my job.

justasking111 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:46:42

I always open the window when using bleach or spray, hold my breath while I am doing it and leave the room for ten minutes. I too think it is not good for your lungs.

Mumshappy Mon 12-Aug-19 19:46:46

I use the flask with bleach spray to clean the bath every day. Takes about 3 minutes wouldn't feel like it was clean any other way. Dd15 usually loads of vile bathbombs and dd8 and ds 16months have sensitive skin. I swill it out with the shower afterwards.

bobstersmum Mon 12-Aug-19 19:47:35

Not in the bath, just down the loos. I clean the bath with washing up liquid it does a brilliant job!

DameSquashalot Mon 12-Aug-19 19:47:38

I've never bleached the bath. A quick rinse after use keeps it looking clean and shiny. I use Splosh at the mo, but will probably start using home made cleaner when it's finished.

cookiemonster3 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:48:00

I use flash with bleach if that counts?

NC4this123 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:49:03

Can’t believe how many people don’t 🤮 yes I do. I clean the whole bathroom with bleach plus kitchen sink and kitchen surfaces

formerbabe Mon 12-Aug-19 19:49:28

I clean it with bathroom spray or flash spray with bleach. Neat bleach goes down the toilet.

wowfudge Mon 12-Aug-19 19:50:09

Soap and hot water are all you need to get rid of most bacteria. I remember Kim and Aggie saying that if you could smell bleach you'd used too much and they only ever put it down manky loos.

bouncingraindrops Mon 12-Aug-19 19:53:38

I remember Kim and Aggie saying that if you could smell bleach you'd used too much and they only ever put it down manky loos.

Kim and Aggie 😂

wowfudge Mon 12-Aug-19 19:55:45

Well let's face it, they cleaned some filthy shit tips so if only using a bit in a grotty toilet was enough...

DameSquashalot Mon 12-Aug-19 19:57:16

I hate the smell of bleach.

I think 🤮 about using bleach anywhere near where food is prepared.

I wouldn't want to sit in a bath that had been cleaned with bleach.

historysock Mon 12-Aug-19 19:59:54

I surely can't be the first to say it on an MN thread!?grin I use zoflora to clean all surfaces in the house at least once a week-includes bathroom, kitchen and floors (damp mop wooden floors and tiles). Dunno if it's a bleach or an anti bacterial? Makes the house smell nice like nothing else however.
Bleach only toilets and butler sink and only then when we are going on holiday for a week or longer-don't even know why I do that really 🤷🏽‍♀️because my Mum used to probably.

ExpletiveDelighted Mon 12-Aug-19 20:00:02

No, I never use it for routine cleaning, just keep some in for mouldy sealant, smelly drains or similar. I do use bleach spray on the kitchen sink sometimes to get rid of tea and coffee stains though.

MotherOfSoupDragons Mon 12-Aug-19 20:01:01

I have to dust mine. None of us like baths. I have 3 of the buggers.

64sNewName Mon 12-Aug-19 20:02:01

I don’t put actual neat bleach on it, but I do have some of the Flash with bleach spray, which I occasionally use for scrubbing the bath/hand basins if they get really filthy.

Never use bleach anywhere else in the house - wouldn’t feel right using it in the kitchen.

Winter2019 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:02:08

No, just a regular bathroom cleaner

DameSquashalot Mon 12-Aug-19 20:05:53

I hate the smell of Zoflora and most shop bought cleaners. I can taste them. DH insists on buying them.

Even KINN smells horrible and it's supposed to be natural. It's not as bad as Zoflora though.

SuzieQ10 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:10:34

Sometimes I do, if I feel it could do with it.
But my routine bathroom clean would just be an anti-bac spray. Or even just warm water with fairy and a dash of disinfectant & a cloth.

Passthecherrycoke Mon 12-Aug-19 20:11:32

I don’t like the smell of zoflora either

I use a bathroom spray, sometimes with bleach. I often buy something because it’s on special offer to try. I bleach the loos every other day and the plug holes and kitchen sink regularly but not specifically the bath. It’s cleaned every other day so I wouldn’t say it gets dirty really.

AngelasAshes Mon 12-Aug-19 20:12:43

I live in a hard water area and have old fashioned tub with real enamel so I cannot use any scouring/abrasive cleaner.
So I use flash with bleach and cilit bang on my tub at least once a week.
Bleach doesn’t just kill bacteria, it kills fungus. Regular soaps do nothing to prevent athletes foot or mildew from forming.
Bleach doesn’t harm real enamel. Just the modern enamel which is actually a poly sealant not enamel.

pelirocco123 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:13:01

I had a friend who managed a large cleaning firm , she told me bleach was no good for cleaning and in fact at thevwrong dilution breeds bacteria. Bleach just bleache the gunk white so you cant see it

Sparklingbrook Mon 12-Aug-19 20:15:57

I don't use bleach for anything, it smells revolting, and makes me heave.

Passthecherrycoke Mon 12-Aug-19 20:17:28

Your friend is wrong pelirocco, bleach doesn’t bleach everything white. It wouldn’t be used in hospitals if it didn’t work.

Tbf a few people have spoken about cleaners but anyone can be a cleaner- I’ve been one myself- doesn’t make you an expert on how cleaning products work

orangeshoebox Mon 12-Aug-19 20:18:52

bleach is for disinfecting not cleaning.
soap & warm water cleans everything enough unless you have someone immunocompromised in your home or you need to stop a really nasty infection.

huggybear Mon 12-Aug-19 20:20:44

Nope, I use method.

namby Mon 12-Aug-19 20:21:56

Why does a bath need disinfecting?! What are you doing in it?!

limesoda Mon 12-Aug-19 20:23:09

Nope. A non-bleach bathroom spray works fine.

Bleach does have its uses, but a routine cleaner isn’t one of them IMO.

RezCowgirl Mon 12-Aug-19 20:23:12

Nope, ive banned bleach from my house but not for environmental reasons more to save my clothes cos i always splash no matter how careful I am trying to be.

Parker231 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:27:20

Why would you need bleach for your bathroom? I can’t remember ever buying any. I prefer Method - nice smell and everything comes up gleaming.

PancakeAndKeith Mon 12-Aug-19 20:28:47

No. Why would you need to bleach your bath?

TheHodgeoftheHedge Mon 12-Aug-19 20:32:09

Unless you’re a serial killer disposing of bodies, you do not need to cover your bathroom or any part of your house (except a toilet bowl) with a dangerous corrosive product.

itbemay1 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:32:18

Jif cream and a scourer here on bath, tiles, sink etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »