Talk

Advanced search

How do I explain to Ds1 that a nintendo Ds simply is not going to happen this year?

(47 Posts)
colditz Sun 27-Sep-09 23:24:57

he has his heart absolutely set on one, cannot think of anything else he would rather have - I just CANNOT afford it. He had a WII for his birthday, it was a joint present with his brother.

A) I don't know how to fit the idea of not having a ds for Christmas into his 6 year old head
B) I don't know what to get a child who quite clearly wants something else

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 23:26:23

used one?

they are selling used ds at GameStop a lot cheaper because they all want the new DSi s

moondog Sun 27-Sep-09 23:26:26

Just tell him.
Or...propose a plan of saving towards it and ask nearest and dearest to give him cash.
Struggling to get it will make him apprecite it more.

cherrymonster Sun 27-Sep-09 23:28:20

yes, can u not get a preowned one from game? if he doesnt mind it not being a ds lite, they have the original ds in game for £39.99

colditz Sun 27-Sep-09 23:29:43

I can't afford a used one, KM.

I have told him he's not going to be getting one, but I don't think the idea is fitting into his buzzy little head properly.

He doesn't really get presents from relatives, and last Christmas he didn't get much from his Dad either, so unfortunately it's all down to me, and I'm not going to have spare money to give him to save...

Don't get me wrong, I can afford to 'do' Christmas, but not a Ds!

colditz Sun 27-Sep-09 23:30:13

Really, Cherry? That cheap?

Bigbadmomma Sun 27-Sep-09 23:32:56

Very difficult one

ds wanted a wii last year and we just couldnt afford it (dp was sick,I had taken time off to look after him)I had to be honest and say that we did not have enough money but maybe next year.

In the end he got lots of Lego and it was forgotten for a bit (IS 5)

hAS WII THIS YEAR AS cHRISTMAS and BIRTHDAY.

i THINK YOU JUST HAVE TO BE HONEST,PAINFUL THO IT IS AND ELICITS LOTS OF QUESTIONS

Ds neatrly 6 and into lego starwars,crazy bones,ben 10 and whatnot,any of these an option or a game or 2 for his wii?

cheesesarnie Sun 27-Sep-09 23:33:23

dd and ds1 were like this for a couple of years.we just told them santa didnt think they were old enough yet.so when they finally got one last year they were sooooo excited!mind you ds2 aged 3 keeps pinching dd's-hes not getting one so i'll be on here moaning about him wanting one!

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 23:34:45

here

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 23:35:00

not as cheap as cherry's though

Bigbadmomma Sun 27-Sep-09 23:35:05

Sorry,typing wnet a bit crazy,not meaning to shout!

solo Sun 27-Sep-09 23:38:48

Two Christmases ago, I scrimped and scraped and went without in order to buy my Ds a DS Lite. The expression on his face and the tears made it all worth it.
I really hope you can find the money to get him one colditz. I know exactly how you are feeling and last year people(complete strangers)were so kind to me and my children, but Ds wasn't expecting anything at all as I'd told him just how poor we were last year...we still are, but this year he will have to go without sadly.

cherrymonster Sun 27-Sep-09 23:39:30

also, look on ebay, as i have just found a few ofthese for under 20.00. i am watching one for you xx

ErikaMaye Sun 27-Sep-09 23:41:00

Ebay. Just as an example, last Christmas I bought a DS Lite and set of six games for £90 including postage. Imagine they would be even cheaper now.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 23:44:36

don't feel bad. ds1 actually got a ds lite from his grandparents last year and after 3 months I dropped it and broke it. I still haven't been able to afford to replace it sad

Uriel Sun 27-Sep-09 23:46:20

Can you claim on the contents insurance, Kerry?

sparkle09 Sun 27-Sep-09 23:46:47

my ds wants a ds too,(hes 5) me and him have agreed that he could either have lots of little pressies or a ds. i explained it to him lots so he understood and he agreed to just having a ds.

and he really does understand, if he sees something he likes he asks for it for his birthday because of our deal with santa. hehe he is being really sweet abour it.

im not hugely mean though cos i have found a skateboard for a tenner which will be a lovely surprise for him xmas morning.

MrsMerryHenry Sun 27-Sep-09 23:49:41

Explain the situation to him. Show him how you have one pot of money of a certain size, and that there's a bigger pot of presents that you'd love to buy. Also that you all need to eat, be warm, etc etc.

Help him to understand the importance of prioritising, and also the importance of not having every luxury that he desires - FGS if he already has a WII, why on earth should you even consider buying him another gaming console?

This week my DS (age 2.10) was looking through bloody Thomas catalogues magazines and started bawling his eyes out that he wanted yet more blasted Thomas trains. I explained to him that he already had lots of trains, including several different types of Thomas (all gifts from friends) and helped him to understand how lucky he is to have so many brilliant toys. It only took about 2 minutes but he got it, and hasn't bothered me about it since. If it can work with a 2 yo it can certainly work with a 6 yo.

PortAndLemon Sun 27-Sep-09 23:49:50

Yes, Game (if you have one near you; they don't do the preowned stuff online) definitely do preowned original DSs (i.e. the one before the DS Lite) for £40.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 23:51:05

i have to look into house insurance policy. I think i'm only covered for fire and theft but ffs the hoover went, and a whole host of other things it may make sense...

colditz Sun 27-Sep-09 23:54:26

Well, MerryHenry, that's kind of my point too.

he has a Wii. It was much coveted and much played, and it still is.

I don't think he NEEDS any more consoles. He has enough to do that is screen based. But I can't get him to see that he really doesn't need one.

Ingles2 Sun 27-Sep-09 23:58:51

Don't feel bad Colditz. Just tell him bluntly you can't afford it. Things have been really crap fiancially in our house for the last year and I've had to be honest with my boys. It was tough to begin with and I felt like shit but actually it's done them no harm, if anything it's made them more understanding and grateful for what they do get. I'm sure he'll be thrilled with whatever he does get come Xmas morning (but fingers crossed you can find a cheap ds)

MrsMerryHenry Mon 28-Sep-09 00:03:20

In that case (and I am serious here) ask him whether he would be willing, for example, to eat nothing until he's paid for a (what's it called??) through missed meals. Estimate that that should mean about a month or so of starvation. Permit him only tap water. Then, if he says yes, let him try it for a morning (maybe a weekend, not a schoolday, eh?!) and see how long he lasts.

Ooh, I'm a hard task master but it's only because I can't see any child surviving that for more than an hour!

Or, better still, tell him he has to save up for it and that you will match every £2 he saves with £1 extra. That way he can learn good financial management skills.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 28-Sep-09 00:06:28

Just up road from me so i could collect for you and send on

only 99p atm

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 28-Sep-09 00:10:17

MrsMerry...you would have been proud of me tonight then!!!

DS1 was kicking showing off and refused to eat dinner, come an hour after he went to bed and he was hungry so i made him a slice of bread and said night then...walked away and left him to sulk ponder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now