Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The FiLiA conference is in Cardiff this year …

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 03/06/2022 13:32

…and it will be BRILLIANT. Saturday 22- Monday 24 October 2022.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to meet, learn from and share with like-minded feminists. If you don’t know anyone when you go, don’t worry - you will by the end!

The website is www.filia.org.uk/ and here’s a video of previous highlights to give you an idea of what to expect. m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEO6-HW6JdU&feature=youtu.be

OP's posts:
Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 19/09/2022 08:30

Thanks Badger!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Olderbadger1 · 19/09/2022 00:32

I think the conference app will be available from 1st October so it will be easy to link up with other women to actually walk to the venue. And the stewarding is always excellent.

For anyone waiting to find out what the venue is before booking a hotel/airB&B - Cardiff is small (I live here) and we've been told that the venue is a) central and b) near the train station so any option near the centre or the station will be fine.

I realise it's not straightforward for people with kids but I echo Empressaureses (not sure if I've got the right number of 's's there!) - if you can possibly stay for all three days, do! The whole thing is so glorious you won't want to miss a moment. And there's a creche/childcare available too.

See you there!

Please
or

Alexaplaykatebush · 18/09/2022 23:44

I've got a ticket for Sunday, planning to stay over on Saturday night if I can find somewhere cheapish to stay nearby.
I'm a bit worried about safety after the last few days, I was at filia last year and the protesters were a pretty sad looking bunch not really threatening other than the gross graffiti but things seem to have ramped up since then.
It's a concern as I'm travelling on my own.

Please
or

FannyCann · 14/09/2022 22:49

So excited to be going at last. I had a ticket for 2020, which then became 2021, and had to cancel at the last minute so this has been a long time coming. Can't book anywhere to stay until payday, when I should be getting a little back pay bonus. Hope there's still plenty of choice.

Please
or

pattihews · 14/09/2022 22:16

We'll be staying in a camper van, parked here:

www.cardiffcaravanpark.co.uk

It's pretty central and a flat walk into town. £30 pn.

Please
or

Athenajm80 · 14/09/2022 21:16

There are lots of cheapish hotels and b&bs about a 5 min bus ride from the centre. I live here so not sure what is booked up or not,but if anyone wants any help working out if a particular place is on an easy bus route to town, or walking distances, or anything like that, feel free to tag me or message me.

Also, I will restate my invitation to meet up with people. I won't be in a hotel so won't be t-shirt spotting at breakfast but I'm always up for meeting up if anyone is worried about going on their own 😁

Please
or

respectmysex · 14/09/2022 14:48

I still haven't booked as I didn't get a reply re hotels nearby to the venue. I'd really like to go but will have to take my chances and try to book once we know which venue it is at.

Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 14/09/2022 13:36

Cheers @purpleboy.

OP's posts:
Please
or

purpleboy · 14/09/2022 11:12

MidCleg · 14/09/2022 09:02

Hi Empress, I have tickets and hotel booked but I really need to know what the agenda looks like re the Monday sessions.

I've not read the whole thread so some may have raised this but it is half-term in England from that Monday. Chat on many feminist groups the feeling is that some of us need to know if childcare / holiday clubs need to be booked. The content of the Monday sessions will influence that.

Come on - look after us women with young kids please Flowers

I believe they are hoping to have the agenda out by October 1st. There is obviously a lot of work going on behind the scenes, speakers flying in from all corners of the world, the logistics are a nightmare!
The speakers confirmed so far are incredible so I've no doubt the Monday would absolutely be worth going too, it's going to be just as good as any other day.
I'd recommend booking whatever childcare you need for the Monday so you don't miss anything, and of course FiLiA have free childcare available.

Please
or

MidCleg · 14/09/2022 09:02

Hi Empress, I have tickets and hotel booked but I really need to know what the agenda looks like re the Monday sessions.

I've not read the whole thread so some may have raised this but it is half-term in England from that Monday. Chat on many feminist groups the feeling is that some of us need to know if childcare / holiday clubs need to be booked. The content of the Monday sessions will influence that.

Come on - look after us women with young kids please Flowers

Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 14/09/2022 05:28

I can’t say anything yet about the latest updates on who’s speaking at FiLiA. Except, well, WOW.

The agenda’s nearly ready, honestly!

And there aren’t many tickets left!

OP's posts:
Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 03/09/2022 22:31

CoffeethenCrochet · 02/09/2022 23:11

Oops, pressed post by accident. Id really like to get a ticket, especially the day Sharon Davis is talking about sport. Cant find any info on each day agenda? I have chronic fatigue syndrome so would only get a one day ticket. Ive never been before but it sounds fab!

It is fab! The agenda’s not finalised yet but it won’t be long.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CoffeethenCrochet · 02/09/2022 23:11

Oops, pressed post by accident. Id really like to get a ticket, especially the day Sharon Davis is talking about sport. Cant find any info on each day agenda? I have chronic fatigue syndrome so would only get a one day ticket. Ive never been before but it sounds fab!

Please
or

CoffeethenCrochet · 02/09/2022 23:09

Totally missed this was in Cardiff. Id really like to see Sh

Please
or

Alexaplaykatebush · 02/09/2022 22:50

The party is the best thing ever, great playlist and all women, just freedom to dance, sing, chat, network, it really was such a brilliant liberating experience. Plus there were dinosaurs.
I really want to come this year but I can only make the Sunday and it's far away but if I can come I'll bring my little sister.
I went last year and it really was one of the best weekends of my life, it's pretty emotional and hard going at times but I learnt so much and being around so many strong brilliant women was so inspiring and awe inducing.

Please
or

TheodoreMortlock · 02/09/2022 22:18

respectmysex · 02/09/2022 19:51

I really want to go but I'm disabled and travelling alone. I need to get a hotel very close to the venue for so that I can comfortably walk. A normal 10 min walk for everyone else is an Uber for me. Is there any indication on the venue yet? I wanted to be able to participate in the evening event as well so don't want to drive across Cardiff if I book at the wrong end.

I think if you look at their accessibility page there’s an email address you could try.

Please
or

respectmysex · 02/09/2022 19:51

I really want to go but I'm disabled and travelling alone. I need to get a hotel very close to the venue for so that I can comfortably walk. A normal 10 min walk for everyone else is an Uber for me. Is there any indication on the venue yet? I wanted to be able to participate in the evening event as well so don't want to drive across Cardiff if I book at the wrong end.

Please
or

stealtheatingtunnocks · 02/09/2022 19:00

I want to see your t shirt collection, @EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn

Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 02/09/2022 18:58

CaptainBarbosa · 02/09/2022 17:43

I'm really tempted to come but I'd be all on my own and know nobody 😳 so I'm still "thinking about it" 😬

Don’t think for too long, there aren’t many tickets left & the hotels will be filling up! If it helps, you can get to know women before you go through chats on the app.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CaptainBarbosa · 02/09/2022 17:43

I'm really tempted to come but I'd be all on my own and know nobody 😳 so I'm still "thinking about it" 😬

Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 02/09/2022 16:39

When FiLiA say women they mean women!

One of my favourite bits is coming down to breakfast in the hotel on the first day & spotting T-shirts. I usually spend ages while packing trying to decide which ones I want to take from my collection.

Also don't worry about any idiots protesting outside. There will always be women going in the same direction as you so it's easy to be in a group.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Olderbadger1 · 02/09/2022 16:30

Any of you wondering whether to come to FiLiA... DO IT!!!

It's entirely and gloriously awesome. And this year it's 3 days-worth AND the bar at the venue will stay open until 11.00 each night AND there are networking/chat sessions, evening films, AND the Saturday night women-only disco (we get to create the playlist) AND brilliant speakers from across the world AND over 1000 feminists in one place love-bombing the world.

If you are coming on your own you'll find it very friendly. If you wear something in suffragette colours in your hotel (and yes, anywhere near the city centre will be good - it's small so everything is walkable) then you are VERY likely to bump in to others who are attending. Plus the app they will send out to all of us allows for people to arrange meet-ups by geographical origin, interests, and for MNers.

It will be the best 3 days of your life, no contest!

Please
or

pattihews · 02/09/2022 16:07

Imagine: a women-only event. Years since I've seen that promoted publicly. It's usually 'Women Only' *

*plus trans and allies and anyone else who fancies coming along.

Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 02/09/2022 15:54

Mumsnut · 02/09/2022 13:36

ooh! Thanks for that

Good luck!

OP's posts:
Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 02/09/2022 15:53

StepMumToJustOne · 02/09/2022 13:23

What kind of party is it?

A women-only Saturday night party.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?