yes, Farewelltoarms, the "action", such as there is has moved to
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/1792362-What-do-you-think-of-the-plan-for-a-new-free-School-in-Islington
Which is therefore the "now" place to go for an argument. But before I stroll over there, to see how they are all getting on, and cause some trouble I would say that this whole thread from the original post seems to amount to saying that this year there was not really a shortage of places. But the thread does seem to have functioned as a useful source of information about admissions in Islington.
Also I promised to come back to your question
""Just looking at the Islington Free Primary site, there are various messages from locals seeming to confirm that there is a demand for such a school on the site of the old Ashmount"
I amswered that, just above, by pointing out all messages save one did not indicate that there was an actual child in search of a place.
That message read in full
"Cressida Road resident
March 14, 2013 at 10:15 am
I telephoned Islington Council yesterday about my daughter?s possible primary school place in the area (Whitehall Park) and was told she would not get in to any of the local schools. I was told she would probably be offered a place at Copenhagen School at the back end of King?s Cross! Not exactly local.
We are therefore left the choice of moving or going private. I am not keen on either.
I find the attitude of the Council extraordinary. We have all had letters from the head of the Education department telling us there is no shortage of places in Islington and yet when you telephone them direct they say there is.
I therefore wholeheartedly endorse your proposal and hope it is set up ready for my daughter to start in September 2014.'
Now this is an odd message for two reasons:-
First of all it is not clear whether she is talking about one daughter or two. Because of course any enquiry about entry in 2014 simply cannot be answered by anyone at this stage, as we are only dealing with admissions for 2013. So either she has two children, a year apart, or she is confused and by 2014 she means 2013.
Secondly so far as this years admissions are concerned it is not true. No one living in N19 has been offered a place at Copenhagen Street. Which is not surprising as to have been offered such a place in March she would have had to have applied for it, and why would she apply for a school so far away? At that stage she would, if she had applied, have been offered Hargrave Park anyway.
So the poster is either seriously confused, or has in fact made it up, or possibly this is a post by a third party relaying a story they have heard. and getting it wrong. or something. Whatever it is it is not evidence of demand.