Talk

Advanced search

JKR personal safety

(53 Posts)
reepicheepsconscience Tue 15-Sep-20 20:47:05

Having read some of the rabid rantings of the TRAs on Twitter, along with THAT vile hashtag, I actually feel fearful for JK Rowling's safety. They really are unhinged. I truly hope she has some shit hot security and protection, and hate that she needs it.

OP’s posts: |
Gncq Tue 15-Sep-20 21:00:43

Yep.

MondayYogurt Tue 15-Sep-20 21:02:10

One hopes that it is only performative rage, in order to signal to their in-groups and gain likes.
As a high net worth individual I expect JKR has extremely tight security anyway.
Nevertheless, constant threats will impact her, no doubt. The psychological toll must be immense.

youkiddingme Tue 15-Sep-20 21:07:18

How can anyone see those demented ranting and not realise that some of the people supporting this agenda are really not ok?

SapphosRock Tue 15-Sep-20 21:29:56

Well it's great publicity for her book.

TinselAngel Tue 15-Sep-20 21:32:10

SapphosRock

Well it's great publicity for her book.

I don't think she's courted death threats, for the publicity.

OntheWaves40 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:33:39

I’m sure she has a lot of money for someone else to deal with this shit. She shouldn’t have to though.

Highfalutinlootin Tue 15-Sep-20 21:36:06

I have thought about this too. I do believe the trans extremist lobby has reached a point where they seem to be actually threatening her physical safety, and I hope the police are taking any threats to her and her family seriously. If anything happens to her u and I'm sure a lot of other feminists will come out of hiding and take to the streets. I desperately hope we don't reach that point.

TorkTorkBam Tue 15-Sep-20 21:38:15

I have a sneaking suspicion that the most abusive on twitter tend to be 14, American and their parents don't know about their trolling.

Ingridla Tue 15-Sep-20 21:38:40

I've seriously been wondering about this too. I can only hope she has great security as these nut jobs are scary. I just hope they're limited to their keyboards rather than real life.

Kit19 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:39:20

This is the first time I’ve ever worried about her personal safety

It’s a single paragraph on page 75 where there’s a discussion about a killer who wore a women’s coat & wig, that’s it. The book is 900 pages long and that is literally it

For that apparently she needs to die

RedDeerRunning Tue 15-Sep-20 21:43:46

JK, if you are reading this, thank you queen smile

Siablue Tue 15-Sep-20 21:44:17

I am also worried about this. I know she has money for security but anyone would be terrified by this. It must be particularly scary given her past experiences.

MondayYogurt Tue 15-Sep-20 21:45:46

They can't afford the flights, I suppose.

notyourhandmaid Tue 15-Sep-20 21:48:43

It is terrifying. She might have a team to help manage her social media, as she does with her website/email, but she's sufficiently engaged on social media in terms of replying to people etc to not be able to avoid the horrible stuff being directed at her.

I wish it was only kids making threats. But adults are involved in this, including some very scary men.

ItalianHat Tue 15-Sep-20 21:51:16

I've just ordered her new book.

Keep buying her books!

stovetopespresso Tue 15-Sep-20 21:53:12

theyre really taking their 'cause' backwards arent they, promoting division and hate. calm reason and rationality are the victims!

OhHolyJesus Tue 15-Sep-20 22:24:25

It's just more sunlight. She will be fine and she has some shit hot lawyers so if needed could pay for some shit hot security too, probably already there.

It's just Twitter, not real life but I hope she reports threats to the police and has it noted that it's hate crime as well as incitement to cause violence.

Stay safe JK, loving your work xx

rosecakequeen Tue 15-Sep-20 22:27:09

It should be #prayforjk

CrockMonster Tue 15-Sep-20 22:48:37

I like to think that most of the threats are purely from people who really have zero intention of actually doing anything, but there are some seriously unstable people on the internet so it is a concern. She’s a smart lady, she’s probably got the best security she can afford, must take a hell of a toll on her mental health though.

littlbrowndog Tue 15-Sep-20 22:51:29

She will be fine. She lives in a bit a remote location

Them wee dudes in America well you know won’t even come close to her

Totickleamockingbird Tue 15-Sep-20 22:53:04

I hope she buys the best security there is.

FlamingoAndJohn Tue 15-Sep-20 22:53:13

Kit19

This is the first time I’ve ever worried about her personal safety

It’s a single paragraph on page 75 where there’s a discussion about a killer who wore a women’s coat & wig, that’s it. The book is 900 pages long and that is literally it

For that apparently she needs to die

I notice that I’ve not seen anyone out for Val McDermid given the content of her book The Mermaid Singing. Granted the book is about 25 years old, but still...

fluffygreenmonsterhoody Tue 15-Sep-20 22:53:36

She doesn’t live in a remote location. Almost everyone in her home city knows which street she’s on. She does have gates though and hopefully shit hot security.

littlbrowndog Tue 15-Sep-20 22:53:48

Bet she neve4 even looks at twitter. Why would you

Let the frothers froth.

She’s at home doing normal stuff not worrying abou5 idiots

And her book is selling well

Hubris flying all around her she’s having a wee gin and watching a bit of telly

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in