Irish fiction

(42 Posts)
CrispAppleStrudel Sun 31-Jan-16 16:50:22

Hello!

Just wondering if any of you marvellous people had suggestions for fiction books set in Ireland?

Nothing too heavy would be preferred, I've also tried Cecilia Ahearn but never seem to enjoy them enough to read a second time, if that makes sense?

Thanks! Go raibh maith agaibh!

Imscarlet Sun 31-Jan-16 16:54:30

I have been reading some of Carmel Harrington's books at the moment. I'm really enjoying them. The latest one I've read is Everytime a Bell Rings.

Tá failte romhat!

NatashaBolkonskaya Sun 31-Jan-16 17:10:57

Have you tried Edna O'Brien?

I loved her early novels: The Country Girls, The Girl With Green Eyes and Girls In Their Married Bliss. Also, liked Johnny, I Hardly Knew You which, although not set in Ireland, has an Irish protagonist.

CrispAppleStrudel Sun 31-Jan-16 17:13:02

Oh brilliant!

Thank you very much, I'll check out those - haven't tried either author but am looking forward to it smile

Allalonenow Sun 31-Jan-16 17:35:27

Anything by Michael Curtin
or Niall Williams especially Four Letters of Love
or Anne Enwright
or Ann O'Loughlin does some easy reading tales, similar to Maeve Binchy.

Quogwinkle Sun 31-Jan-16 18:04:56

Some have already been mentioned, but here's a list of authors whose novels I've read.

Colm Toibin
John McGahern
Mary Costello
Niall Williams
Donal Ryan
Sebastian Barry
John Banville
Edna O'Brien
Brendan O'Carroll
Marian Keyes
Maggie O'Farrell
Anne Enright
Maeve Binchy

OhPudding Sun 31-Jan-16 18:57:47

John McGahern and Colm Toibin.

CrispAppleStrudel Sun 31-Jan-16 19:21:56

Ah these are all brilliant! Can't wait to dig in!

TrappedInAWitchesCurse Sun 31-Jan-16 19:26:28

You might like Kathleen McMahon's This Is How It Ends (be warned, it's a tear jerker!) or Rachael English's books, can't recall all the titles off the tip of my head though, sorry.

HelenaJustina Sun 31-Jan-16 19:28:28

Can second Niall Williams, he is all over my Kindle at the moment having re read History of Rain.

Maeve Binchy is my guilty secret, well written and with happy endings though!

Papergirl1968 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:04:55

Patricia scanlan, Cathy Kelly, Sheila o'flanagan, Claudia Carroll, Fiona o'brien...tried one by Cecelia Ahearn years ago, think it was PS I Love You, but thought it was badly written.

CrispAppleStrudel Sun 31-Jan-16 20:13:14

Great suggestions here, thank you!

turdfairynomore Sun 31-Jan-16 20:14:38

Love a bit of fluff and stuff nonsense by Patricia Scanlon!! City Girl series. Francesca's party. All of them in fact!!! Enjoy!!!

CrispAppleStrudel Mon 01-Feb-16 09:35:32

Ooh! Yes I'd prefer fluff, so that sounds ideal!

Allalonenow Mon 01-Feb-16 11:29:32

Roddy Doyle can be fluffly and funny ~ try The Van
and Christina Mckenna writes a good story.

binkybonk Mon 01-Feb-16 22:00:42

Bit fluff, but amazing and can't believe it hasn't come up yet- William Trevor. Everything he's written is amazing.

Maverick66 Mon 01-Feb-16 22:09:44

Love love love Cathy Kelly Patricia Scanlon Sheila O 'Flannagan Kate McCabe definetely NOT Cecelia Ahern just don't get her at all.

314Chart Mon 01-Feb-16 22:18:42

Eve by Deirdre Purcell is very good.

Cecilia ahern is dreadful. There's fluff and there's fluff.

Maggie O'Farrell is good but Scottish.

OverAndAbove Mon 01-Feb-16 22:41:37

Maggie O'Farrell's from Norn Iron! Brilliant author; some of her books are quite hard to read (in the poignant sense mostly) though

Canyouforgiveher Mon 01-Feb-16 22:48:48

Marion Keyes is great and not heavy usually. Maeve Binchy tells a good story and catches Irish society quite well.

Binky did you just say William Trevor was a bit fluff!!! Or did you mean NOT fluff smile

Also Walter Macken, Elizabeth bowen (more anglo-irish and set a lot in England), Molly Keane has a couple of very funny very dark novels set in pre-war ireland.

I'm not usually an Anne Enright fan but I loved The Green Road.

And finally..one of the best Irish writers ever- Kate O Brien. her novels are beautiful and very readable.

CiderwithBuda Mon 01-Feb-16 23:01:15

Anna McPartlin. I've enjoyed her books - she has also been a writer on Holby. Her most recent book about Rabbit Hayes was very good. Just googled her and discovered she has a knew one due out. Looking forward to that.

CrispAppleStrudel Tue 02-Feb-16 21:20:49

You've all given such brilliant ideas, thank you!!

Has anyone read The Last Bride in Ballymuir?
Definitely fluff, but that's what I'm after, just was wring what anyone else thought? :-)

CrispAppleStrudel Tue 02-Feb-16 21:21:10

Wondering

bibliomania Thu 04-Feb-16 16:10:15

Have you read any Ross O'Carroll-Kelly? Very funny.

CrispAppleStrudel Fri 05-Feb-16 19:55:36

I haven't, bibliomania but I'll check him out, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now