Talk

Advanced search

Protein powder for DS15 - advice needed pls

(4 Posts)
theladylovescupcakes Sun 20-Aug-17 18:16:43

My son plays rugby and weight trains. He's expressed an interest in protein powder to bulk up. Not sure of the pros/cons. Can anyone advise please? Thanks in advance.

LordEmsworth Sun 20-Aug-17 21:05:56

I can't advise but I can tell you that I use protein shakes to supplement my diet as I train fairly heavily but am vegetarian. Pros - easy way to get a good portion of protein quickly. Cons - not sure there are any, though I prefer to get my protein through proper food when I can. If he's getting enough protein in his diet then it's just an expensive supplement and won't be any benefit - there's been a few articles recently saying the trend for added protein is just a waste of money. www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z8899j6#zg6xxnb

I use whey protein for post-training shakes, and sometimes casein before bed - whey is easily absorbed so good to replenish straight after training, whereas casein is slow-absorbing so good overnight. I buy plain & add flavourings - mostly nut butter & cocoa powder for a breakfast shake (as I train in the mornings).

theladylovescupcakes Mon 21-Aug-17 15:21:01

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, that's really helpful.

MaidOfStars Tue 22-Aug-17 15:19:01

I use both protein bars and whey powder. Like LordEmsworth, I'm vegetarian and really need to keep an eye on intake (and supplement daily). There's no pattern to my intake though. I chuck a tsp of whey powder into any food I think can handle it (vanilla/banana whey is good in Greek yogurt/porridge) and have half a whey protein bar every afternoon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: