Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of buying some weights for home use

(3 Posts)
KanyesVest Sun 19-Apr-15 14:25:29

I'm a weights newbie, only started lifting because my bootcamp instructor is obsessed and started including Olympic lifting in our classes. But, I like the impact it's having so I was thinking of getting some weights to use at home. I saw these dumbbells and thought they might be a good starting point. I don't have the space for anything big, and I don't want to over commit too early and end up with expensive, heavy paper weights. Anyone who knows more than I do have any opinions on them or alternative suggestions? Thanks.

suzannecanthecan Sun 19-Apr-15 14:53:56

you might want to look into resistance bands, TRX, body weight exercises, Press up handles are (I find) very useful for making press ups a bit harder by increasing range of motion.
They also take the pressure off of your wrists.

You can use a weighted back pack to add resistance to some body weight exercises.
Bit of time researching on you tube and you should be able to put together a good routine that can be done at home without buying any equipment.

KanyesVest Sun 19-Apr-15 17:50:17

Thanks Suzanne. The only trx I've done is at the gym (it's a boxing gym, so very basic) with wall or ceiling mounted ropes and bands, so I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it. We generally use weight plates instead of hand bars for press ups, so I thought they could double up. PT isn't too keen on weight vests, he said they can be difficult to maintain form with them. I have resistance bands that I use for stretching so I'll have a gander on you tube to find some other ideas. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »