Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a breed!

(39 Posts)
dontbreathesomedays Mon 21-Mar-16 17:41:38

Preferably non shedding
Small
Friendly/good with children

I was thinking a bichon but they are quite vocal aren't they? Are there any quieter ones? blush

sooperdooper Mon 21-Mar-16 17:43:59

Ok, they aren't small, but have you considered a greyhound? Non shedding, great with kids, incredibly docile, very lazy, and quiet - ours has never ever barked in the house, and only barks in the garden when the neighbourhood cats sit on the wall and taunt him smile

dontbreathesomedays Mon 21-Mar-16 17:44:50

It definitely needs to be a little dog sooper, due to space, plus (completely forgot to mention this sorry) I have cats.

MidLifeCrisis007 Mon 21-Mar-16 19:06:17

This wee pup? - JRT/BC cross.
www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=15275

dontbreathesomedays Mon 21-Mar-16 19:24:04

Unfortunately, that rescue will only rehome to homes that already have a dog.

Roseberrry Mon 21-Mar-16 19:25:21

Not a beagle! Mine is so stubborn.

What about a cockapoo?

Roseberrry Mon 21-Mar-16 19:26:11

Most puppies can be taught to be ok with cats but if you are thinking if getting a rescue you'll need to be careful.

VilootShesCute Mon 21-Mar-16 19:27:59

Cavalier King Charles. Amazing dogs and clever. Have done competitive obedience with my one. Doesn't climb the walls when not walked but equally happy to run alongside whilst jogging or cycling. What's it to love?! Black and tan are the prettiest grin

dontbreathesomedays Mon 21-Mar-16 19:29:41

I am seriously considering a cockerpoo. Can anybody tell me more? smile

I adore King Charles spaniels Vilhoot but they aren't non shedding are they?

BestIsWest Mon 21-Mar-16 19:30:11

Miniature schnauzer, non shedding, love their families, moderate exercise, can be a bit vocal though.

tadpole39 Mon 21-Mar-16 19:30:50

Many tears rescue will rd home pups as only dogs, my lovely pup came from there!

dontbreathesomedays Mon 21-Mar-16 19:31:20

It claims otherwise on the website sad

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 21-Mar-16 19:32:52

Unfortunately, that rescue will only rehome to homes that already have a dog.

Not always true, they do re-home solo dogs and that pup says it can be an only dog. We have a Many Tears dog and she was re-homed to us even though we had no other dog in the house.

SleepForTheWeak Mon 21-Mar-16 19:35:41

I second a greyhound, most docile and friendly dogs around, but if too big how about a whippet? Similar temperament, don't shed a lot of hair either. If you going to a rescue they will be able to advise if car friendly too. I have a lurcher (greyhound X) and she's afraid of cats haha.

Small dogs tend to be vocal, it's just part of their personality.

Good luck and have fun, having a dog is great company and fun.

SleepForTheWeak Mon 21-Mar-16 19:37:19

*cat friendly - although being car friendly would also be handy wink

SleepForTheWeak Mon 21-Mar-16 19:37:26

*cat friendly - although being car friendly would also be handy wink

MidLifeCrisis007 Mon 21-Mar-16 19:41:30

My pup came from Many Tears too and we don't have another dog. (in fact I think the one I linked to has the same JRT dad as mine... must have been a randy bugger as he impregnated the farm Springer and farm Collie in quick succession as I understand it!!!).

My pup (17 weeks) is simply divine and everyone who meets him adores him! I bet that pup is the same!

hotsweetpotato Mon 21-Mar-16 19:44:12

Cavachon - bichon and cavalier cross,
Ours is lovely, 2 years old, great with kids, friendly, not yappy/barky likes long or short walks, also loves to sit on your lap and snuggle up ,
So good natured, great with other dogs too and low shedding,
Hlth

VilootShesCute Mon 21-Mar-16 19:46:25

He doesn't shed an awful lot but Cavalier's aren't non shedding, no. But they are just THE most adorable puppies...sigh. Puppy envy here.

ImBrian Mon 21-Mar-16 21:50:54

I have a small mutt that fits the bill perfectly. He's supposed to be shih tzu x chihuahua but there's a bit of terrier/sausage dog who knows what in there.
Lots of lovely little mutts in rescue as well.

Out2pasture Mon 21-Mar-16 22:12:03

Sheds but is an amazing small dog; Tibetian Spaniel
Children are very drawn to their small sturdy size. Ours is very tolerant of cats.

MidniteScribbler Mon 21-Mar-16 22:13:25

Look at the Lagotto.

WicketWoo Mon 21-Mar-16 22:27:58

We have a bichon. He's a beautiful little dog, not at all yappy and doesn't shed (although the grooming is a bit of a commitment). I grew up with a King Charles cavalier, and whilst he was also a lovely dog he was very definitely happier than our bichon.

WicketWoo Mon 21-Mar-16 22:28:57

Oh and I have young children who have done all sorts to him and he just kind of looks at you pleadingly to rescue him. He's never snapped at them (and he would have been within his rights to at times!)

WicketWoo Mon 21-Mar-16 22:29:54

Just retread my first post and the last sentence should say yappier (blooming autocorrect)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now