Talk

Advanced search

The Diary of Anne Frank

(53 Posts)
Raahh Tue 06-Jan-09 19:27:16

Is anyone watching this? Ds is fascinated by it- i have been filling him in on the background, bits of it any way, not sure how much a 6 year old will get.

He was even more interested when i told him i visited the Annexe when i was a teenager- (me and an endless queue of Americans)!

Is anyone else watching?

Raahh Tue 06-Jan-09 19:28:06

Sorry- i repeated myself there, and sounded a bit desperate! lol!

scifinerd Tue 06-Jan-09 19:30:20

I'd like to but I just cant handle these things anymore. Since having children I get way too upset. I was wondering whether to let my 7year dd watch it but thought she may be too young. What do you think?

belgo Tue 06-Jan-09 19:30:25

I'm recording it, I'll watch it whenI have a chane. Is it good? I also visited the annexe as a teenager and was surprised athow small it was.

Raahh Tue 06-Jan-09 19:36:14

i think Ds is liking it, he is asking a lot of questions. A lot of the deeper stuff is going over his head. I heart Tamsin Greig (sp), and the cast in general are very good so far.

BitOfFun Tue 06-Jan-09 19:40:01

Tamsin Greig, of course! I knew I recognized her! I thought she did a fantastic job- the mother comes across quite coldly in the book (funny how our kids see us!) but it makes perfect sense that she was falling apart with fear, and TG put that across well I thought.

dittany Tue 06-Jan-09 19:45:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sherbert37 Tue 06-Jan-09 20:14:31

We're loving this too. Went to Amsterdam last year when DD was 12 and it is one of her favourite books. DS2 11 won't watch though as he thinks he'll be scared. Interesting that Anne is not a saint but a very normal teenager.

stillenacht Tue 06-Jan-09 20:17:06

My DS also fascinated by it! Its brilliant!

I read it for A level German and went to Sachsenhausen (concentration camp) as part of my A Level. Heartbreaking.

I did have a cry at the end of the episode tonight.

stillenacht Tue 06-Jan-09 20:18:06

My DS is 9 - for him 7 would have been too young.

slotnicki Tue 06-Jan-09 22:15:31

I think that it is a fantastic adaptation. My daughter who is 7 is watching it with me and is really interested. Her grandfather is a holocaust survivor who survived typhus in Bergen-Belsen (the camp where Anne met her death), so she is vary familiar with the issues. I am hoping that they will at least mention the series at her school. I also think that it is important that they are showing it every day, rather than every week.

Clarissimo Tue 06-Jan-09 22:16:22

Have taped it for the ds's.

They're 8 and 9 and seem very interested so I think 6 will be OK

Raahh Wed 07-Jan-09 10:12:35

SLOTNICKI -i agree about it being on every day, ds would have forgotten all about it by next week.Also, it fits well with the 'diary'. Hopefully, they will show it as a feature length film too, at some point. I also love the actress playing Anne, she plays her very well.

i remember reading the book when i was about 11, and realising that Anne was not much older than me. so very hard to imagine how it could have happened, and also incredibly sad ,when you know how it will endsad

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 07-Jan-09 13:49:48

All mine (11, 8, 6) are watching it, though only the 11 year old has read the book. They are all really enjoying it, although probably rather above the six year old's head.

Raahh Fri 09-Jan-09 19:29:33

sad

i had forgotten how close to the end of the war they were captured.

Truly heartbreaking. Must remember to record the repeat.

sad

mdrooney Fri 09-Jan-09 20:07:42

This was wonderful dds who are 12 and 13 really enjoyed it too and are now watching a documentry on bbc four about Ann frank.
I thought the acting was brillent, sometimes the bbc get it right.

stillenacht Fri 09-Jan-09 20:09:10

was brilliant. About time the bbc did something right.

scorpio1 Fri 09-Jan-09 20:09:41

oh crap i missed it tonight - where can i see it gain please?

stillenacht Fri 09-Jan-09 20:10:25

iplayer i would imagine smile

scorpio1 Fri 09-Jan-09 20:10:45

thankyou

Guadalupe Fri 09-Jan-09 20:12:13

I thought it was brilliantly done. Anne was just right, as they all were really.

Ds1 (11) really enjoyed it, even recording Wednesdays when he was at football. He found the end hard though. He asked me if she's still alive today during tonight's episode. sad

Purplemoon Fri 09-Jan-09 20:12:26

My DC have all been hooked. We're presently watching the documentary about it with DC on BBC4 too.

SilentTerror Fri 09-Jan-09 20:14:21

Excellent.
Agree how heartbreaking that they were discovered so late in the war,and even more so that they died at t he very end of the war,when liberation was weeks away.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sat 10-Jan-09 15:35:28

We watched the documentary too. DD1 says she didn't sleep well last night because she was thinking about it all. Been trying to explain to her how it could happen. sad

LIZS Sat 10-Jan-09 15:40:28

Posted on other thread watched with ds(10) and dd(7). dd and I were in tears . She asked lots of questions and ds is studying ww2 atm. The documentary inetrveiws were interesting until it deviatd onto the footage of Belsen and cannibalism , at which point I took them off to bed . Hope we haven't traumatised her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now