Talk

Advanced search

DD announced at the weekend "You use Mumsnet like email counselling" - I agreed

(19 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 01-Dec-14 18:23:21

Then she asked if there was anyone she could email for support

I have no idea - is there a sort of equivalent email counselling for teenagers?

Heyho111 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:18:02

It is slightly more dangerous for teens to enter these forums. This is where threads start on how to self harm, loose weight with anerexia etc. they would have to be a continuous monitoring of them. There could also be adults posing as a teen. Teen only chat sites did start up a few years ago and I think they were shut down because of the above reasons.

KatyMac Mon 01-Dec-14 22:21:00

I thought so

I wonder if there is paid for counselling she could access

Heyho111 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:41:59

Her school will have a counsellor she can use. They are self referral. Also you can go through your local youth service and they may have some.
Google councillors for your area there will be an official site with private ones you can access.
Counselling is a great idea if she is stressed/ anxious or feeling down.

KatyMac Tue 02-Dec-14 07:51:46

Her college don't seem very switched on - they appear to have a support group affiliated with a church

She is vulnerable atm& I think she would email someone where she wouldn't talk to them

BloominNora Tue 02-Dec-14 07:55:53

Childline have an online chat facility or you can email a councillor.

WhyBeHappyWhenYouCouldBeNormal Tue 02-Dec-14 08:02:02

The blurt foundation offer online mentoring blurtitout.org they are a great support for young people and very active on twitter etc. I know they had to stop the mentoring at one point as they were so overwhelmed so check if they are back online?

bigTillyMint Tue 02-Dec-14 08:07:59

Would [[ www.youngminds.org.uk/for_children_young_people Young Minds]] be of any help?

CuttedUpPear Tue 02-Dec-14 08:31:49

I've seen threads on here started by teens and the support and welcome given has been great.
Would she consider registering as a MNer do you think?

FluffyRedSocks Tue 02-Dec-14 08:44:24

My local YES has an email councilling thing that I did for a while, it was very helpful!
Free for under 25s, worth looking into?

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 02-Dec-14 08:49:39

You can email the samaritans

KatyMac Tue 02-Dec-14 09:14:04

She did register for MN - but I wonder if she wants to be private from me

I'll pass on some of these ideas to her; however last night she did unburden herself somewhat & at least I know what some of the problems are; which does make me feel better

antimatter Tue 02-Dec-14 09:16:48

In similar situation I found a counsellor for my DD.

It was money well spent!
I think she went 8 times in total and that was before her GCSE's

OhFrabjousDay Tue 02-Dec-14 09:22:31

You can email Samaritans. It depends what kind of help she wants really.

jo@samaritans.org

KatyMac Tue 02-Dec-14 09:58:48

She is struggling with loneliness at college - she left here at 16 to go to performing arts college; she is finding the practicalities of living by herself very hard

CaulkheadUpNorth Tue 02-Dec-14 10:02:18

Definitely childline. You can have a 121 chat (like Facebook chat) talk on the forums or send emails. It's all moderated so is safe. The counsellors there speak to young people about loneliness, being away from home etc a lot and would be able to listen to her.

MEgirl Tue 02-Dec-14 10:45:10

Relate have an online chat for teens.

www.irelate.org.uk/

KatyMac Tue 02-Dec-14 13:20:59

Thanks everyone; I have passed them all on

& she obviously tried one as the irelate site is blocked at college grin

Guiltypleasures001 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:26:13

Your local YMCA has a free counselling service, she can self refer on the gp can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now