Talk

Advanced search

Vests - do your DC wear them?

(20 Posts)
ButtercupWafflehead Sat 12-Sep-09 22:08:23

I remember pretty much always having a vest on underneath t-shirts when I was a child.

I send DS to pre-school with a t-shirt on, jumper if it's nippy but wondered whether I am failing him by not toasting him up a bit more -

So do you put your DCs in vests? What time of year? Short sleeved/sleeveless/long sleeved?

Are DSs teachers frowning upon my neglect? hmm

TIA!

cocolepew Sat 12-Sep-09 22:11:08

Yes usually about October, depending on the weather. DD aged 7 wore one on Friday, when it was roasting. When asked why, she told me she didn't like the boys "seeing her" when she got changed for PE hmm.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 12-Sep-09 22:11:26

I will be putting them on DS1 (4) again once this sunny spell passes.
He is a bit skinny so I have always felt he 'needs' them in the colder months. blush

Corporalcornsilk Sat 12-Sep-09 22:12:26

Yes - my two like their vests. They are already in them.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 12-Sep-09 22:12:46

How old is your ds Buttercup?

I have 2 dds and apart from the first 6 months or so I only put them in vests during the winter/chilly weather.

I noticed during the recent (brief) hot spell that friends had their 2 year old dcs in vests. Each to their own I guess.

Sometimes I put dd2 (2) in a l/s vest under a pinafore, so it acts as a t-shirt that doesn't ride up.

Neither of my dcs seem to feel the cold. dd2 goes to a cm and I always put a selection of spare clothes in her bag. (extra vest and cardy etc). I have a fab relationship with cm and she knows that if the weather cools down or whatever during the day that I don't mind at all if dd comes home with an extra layer.

Unless you are sending ds in a t-shirt and nothing else in the depths of winter, then I am sure the nursery teachers haven't got time to even notice or care about the vest situation.

Bibithree Sat 12-Sep-09 22:13:26

Yes, except on hot days. I was raised by my Gran and to her, not putting a vest on anyone under the age of 18 is tantamount to a form of abuse.

CMOTdibbler Sat 12-Sep-09 22:13:44

It depends on the weather and what he's wearing.

Fr'instance, DH bought him a long sleeved top that isn't any thicker than a t shirt. In the colder weather, he'll have a vest under that. But it would have to be really cold before he had a t shirt, jumper and a vest

jellybeans Sat 12-Sep-09 22:14:05

Only when it's very cold.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 12-Sep-09 22:15:05

My (old fashioned) father used to set great store by "covering your chest up" - to avoid catching a chill I think - I remember at around age 13/14 having to wear a vest over my bra blush Perhaps you have similar memories Bibi?!

IdrisTheDragon Sat 12-Sep-09 22:15:50

DS and DD haven't worn vests since they were about 2 I think.

ButtercupWafflehead Sat 12-Sep-09 22:16:38

He's 3 1/2, I was on M&S school clothes website and noticed all the vest choices.

I don't think he's worn a vest since the days of poppers between the legs.

Off to research the options!

geisha Sat 12-Sep-09 22:17:50

Yes, DD's (3 & 5) had theirs on again last week and will do until summer next year.

cocolepew Sat 12-Sep-09 22:18:26

I always wear a vest, preferable tucked into my knickers, the DDs have no chance really...

snice Sat 12-Sep-09 22:24:15

There is a great quote (I can't remember where it comes from) "A vest is what you wear when your mum feels cold" grin

stubbyfingers Sat 12-Sep-09 22:25:39

I have bought vests for DSs but I have never felt they needed them.

I think me and my offspring are 'hot type' people and it has to get pretty cold for us to be bothered by it. I just know my kids (2 and 3) would have been sweating if they'd worn vests recently.

So I suppose, you must have a 'feel' for if they need it?

fin42 Sat 12-Sep-09 23:15:37

I PMSL at that quote snice it is so true. My DS is 4 and i tend to go by the bbc weather, >18 degC short sleeves no vest, <18 degC short sleeves with vest, <15degC long sleeves with vest. Up to last winter I've always bought long sleeve vests for winter but don't know if I'll bother this year as DS has short sleeve shirt (with pullover) for school so it will look a bit odd, but I've bought some lovely t-shirt type ones from M&S.
I hate not having something 'tucked in ' underneath when it's cold myself so that's why the quote rings true with me.

happilyeverafter Sat 12-Sep-09 23:42:02

DD wears a vest if it's cold out.

Disenchanted3 Sat 12-Sep-09 23:44:23

yes

AcrylicAfternoons Sat 12-Sep-09 23:48:26

yes DD does unless it's hot. which let's face it has been for about 10 days this year

macherie Sun 13-Sep-09 08:37:32

DD(5) wears a vest unless it's very warm, so nearly every day then. I get her lovely ones with a floral print from the white company.

My boys are older and layer short and long sleeve t-shirts, 1 layer in summer but ds2 who feels the cold can go up to 4 layers in winter, and then a hoodie on top (he interited my circulation, poor boy)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now