Talk

Advanced search

After huffwardly's bravery last week I am following her example.

(56 Posts)
OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:13:54

I only ever wear jeans and shortish skirts. And dull dull dull long skirts for work. I am 44 and think that perhaps I shouldn't be showing off my pins so much and I must be able to do better than jeans.

I would love to be tiny and fairy-like but am not. What the hell do I wear.

BTW I had good advice on here about bras and now have a lovely one that gets rid of the lumpy in front of the arms look blush So that bit is sorted but I still have the problem of being big up top.

Photo on profile. Be gentle. Please....

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:14:46

Tis the second photo in case you can't work that one out hmm

themoon Mon 29-Jun-09 12:21:56

How tall are you? I got a lovely short shift dress from Wallis that was discussed in much depth on another thread.

I shall try to find a link.

themoon Mon 29-Jun-09 12:23:23

this

sifuentes Mon 29-Jun-09 12:24:49

Awesome figure! You can wear anything. If I had pins like that i would never cover them up.

What style are you looking for? chic? casual? girly? sharp? trendy?

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:25:02

I'm 5 11" themoon. I do need something to gives me a waist I think.

themoon Mon 29-Jun-09 12:26:45

Ah... I am not much shorter than you Orm and that Wallis dress stopped just short enough to make my thighs look fab.

I find a lot of dresses are crap for us tall ladies... the waists are up around my ribs mostly.

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:26:46

shock at sifuentes! I think it's awful. But thanks anyway.

I want classic/casual if that makes sense. I don't like flowery, frilly, lacey. Simple lines.

HeliumBee Mon 29-Jun-09 12:27:02

You have a fantastic waistline and lovely shape - and I think that could make you look fairy-like if you emphasised it a bit more (e.h. wearing nicely fitted things).
I'm a fan of long skirts - I know they arent for everyone - but a sofly a-line long skirt would emphasise your lovely small waist (try to avoid letting the skirt sit on your hips though).

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:28:22

Yes themoon. I ordered a gorgeous brick red dress online last year for a wedding. It looked like I was trying to fit into something of my DDs - waist just under the norks, hem was mid thigh.

Lizzylou Mon 29-Jun-09 12:28:47

Agree that you have terrific legs.
You look all in proportion and slim and toned to me. Yes, you are 5ft 11", but you are not big in the least, willowy I'd say.

Get your legs out more!

TsarChasm Mon 29-Jun-09 12:35:20

Great legs! Blimey you look good in running shorts and you're tall and slim. There's nothing more to be said!envygrin

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:41:05

Isn't it odd? I hate my figure and always have. But thank you for your kind comments.

I have tried a-line helium but it makes me feel very hippy. You can't see my humungous arse in that photo hmm But maybe I am not looking for the right sort of a-line. I used to wear indian cotton crinkly skirts when I was at university - I think that has sort of cured me of floaty things grin I may have to be more open-minded.

sifuentes Mon 29-Jun-09 12:42:54

Would you wear skinny jeans? With a long vest (not tight) and jacket to the top of the hips that's a bit nipped in at the waist? with a pair of sandals/flipflops/pumps?

That is an easy look to do because all shops sell all those items at the moment.

You would look fab in a maxi dress

or one of those short smocky dreses over some leggings.

sifuentes Mon 29-Jun-09 12:44:33

You loko like you have good arms but not big boobs so you could wear pretty high necked sleeveless tops.

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:45:22

I have skinny jeans sif. And a few jackets like that

Like the idea of a maxi dress though.

I am too big across the stop for smocks IMO. I take a 36 bra - very broad shoulders.

sifuentes Mon 29-Jun-09 12:48:04

well then you're rocking with a long vest i.e. a good chunk longer than the jacket and a nice long necklace

Have you got black and grey jeans?

36 isn't that broad at all - spesh not if you are tall.

sifuentes Mon 29-Jun-09 12:49:09

Also I can see you in a breton top - a bit Alexa Chung

very gorgeous DCs too by the way!

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:49:23

No black or grey no. But loads of blue ones of various shades.

sifuentes Mon 29-Jun-09 12:50:10

there you go then - rock it up a bit with some of those grin

fishie Mon 29-Jun-09 12:50:35

yy get a maxi dress. have you tried shirt dresses?

do not worry re getting legs out, you can keep on till you are 80+ so long as not showing other parts so not low neck / sleeveless.

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 12:50:44

Thanks. They look gorgeous. When they are frozen in time like that. It's when they are moving and making a noise that they stop being quite so gorgeous grin

MrsSeanBean Mon 29-Jun-09 13:05:49

You look great, are tall and could wear anything! [jealous, v v jealous]

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 13:48:42

Thankyou mrssb. I wish I felt like that sad

I think it's due to my always being best friends with petite pretty little girls when I was a child hmm And I just grew bigger and bigger and less delicate and more heffalumpish.

MrsSeanBean Mon 29-Jun-09 13:57:41

I'd love to be tall(er). I am 5ft 5, so average I suppose, but I have horrid short little legs and a long body. I am a very wierd shape overall. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now