Talk

Advanced search

Am I a fat Hourglass or Apple? Help please!

(15 Posts)
RealHousewifeOfLapland Fri 06-Oct-17 16:13:11

Would very much like your advice. Firstly, I am definitely fat (size 20 -
22) so that is not in question. However I am unsure about actual shape. My bust and hip measurements are both the same with my waist being 3 inches less. I have always felt that i was an apple as I carry a lot of weight on my stomach but I also have a massive overhang due to 5 c/sections. I would love some advise on what to wear please!

Apple. Waist should be at least 10-12 inches smaller for a true hourglass (although some decide they are hourglassed with 5 inches difference!!)

rightknockered Fri 06-Oct-17 17:18:24

I think you are straight up and down. I think an apple has no difference between bust/waist.

rightknockered Fri 06-Oct-17 17:19:09

No, scratch that. An apple has a bigger waist than bust.

Right wouldn't straight up and down not have difference too?!

What about your legs and bum OP? Apples usually have slimmer legs and smaller bum

puppydogmummy Fri 06-Oct-17 17:41:43

Watching this for advice too!

ReturnOfTheCaramac Fri 06-Oct-17 17:53:50

Try this shape calculator. You put your measurements in and it should give you an idea:

shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape/

Squashit Fri 06-Oct-17 17:55:01

My advice would be to buy clothes that are cut rectangular with no shaping under the bust or waist but keep it streamlined so it skins. Buy fabrics that have some stretch in them like heavy weight jersey. With an overhang you want to skim over this so with tops I would advise they come down to mid-thigh and then opt for fitted bottoms with an elasticated waist and again in a thick stretchy material like jeggings.

millifiori Fri 06-Oct-17 17:56:36

Then you're an hourglass. the fact there's not a massive difference between waist and hips is immaterial. You're apple if the waist is bigger than the hips, and pear if the hips are bigger than the bust, so with a smaller wasit and equal hips and bust you're an hour glass. Chances are if you lost weight that shape would be the one that emerges.

mussie Fri 06-Oct-17 18:01:21

That website is really cool return. A good find! I’m ‘straight’ apparently hmm

reetgood Fri 06-Oct-17 18:02:41

Sounds like you're neither, perhaps you are The flatteringly named rectangle as I am? I don't have a lot of hip to waist ratio, but I do have a fair amount of boob and my hips and bust are about the same. Don't have enough waist to be an hourglass www.thechicfashionista.com/rectangle-body-shape.html

karalime Fri 06-Oct-17 18:03:32

My waist is smaller than my bust and hips but I am definitely an apple.

I put weight on around my stomach and I have skinny legs. I have to keep my weight down otherwise I look like a big egg.

An hourglass has equally proportioned boobs and bum.

RealHousewifeOfLapland Fri 06-Oct-17 19:24:55

Thanks for all the really helpful advice and links. So remeasured myself and with a 5 " difference between waist and bust/hips I think this makes me a curvy rectangle lol!!

Squashit are you a personal shopper/ fashion adviser? You always give great advice , thank you!

Millifiori Even a rectangle often has a slightly smaller waist than hips and bust! 3 inches is not enough to make an hour glaas

confusedandemployed Fri 06-Oct-17 20:02:54

I would have said apple.
I'm a definite hourglass and my waist is 30in, hips/boobs 40-41in at widest part.
There's no denying I could lose a few pounds too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now