Talk

Advanced search

Next - just dreadful this season?

(30 Posts)
dailystuck71 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:24:43

I know its been going down hill in terms of quality and a lot of the designs in recent years have been poor but I popped into a local branch - fairly big one at a retail park at the weekend for a look.

Being late 40s I don't often find that much there but work suits, jeans, shoes/boots are ok and I can usually get a couple of tops/knitwear.

This season though is just hellish or is it me? Flowers over everything, big bell sleeves, nasty patterns combined with some really cheap material. I walked out buying nothing. Not one thing did I think oh that might go with this that or the other or I like those shoes/boots top.

Anyone else? I think its giving M&S a run for its money in terms of horror clothing!

Rockaby Tue 28-Feb-17 14:44:25

Well, I got some of their skinny jeans last month and they're lovely. I also got a stripy top, which is possibly
a little garish, but I like it and always get complimented on it when I wear it.

That said, these were the only things which were nice. Aside from the top, jeans and their boring plain work dresses, I could find nothing much to try on, when normally I'd try on loads in a shopping trip. The bright florals are just awful.

Laiste Tue 28-Feb-17 17:22:56

Same as rockaby i've just discovered their skinny jeans and love them, but found myself frowning at everything in there recently.

We go to the costa upstairs in our big local one quite often and browse as we rush to get to our hot chocolate and cake walk through. What's with all the 80s punkish style spider web pattern stuff and weird mesh tops? Who are they aiming at?

LindyHemming Tue 28-Feb-17 19:16:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hiccupgirl Tue 28-Feb-17 19:46:55

I agree. I'm mid 40s and normally find some bits and pieces in there. So far this season, I've walked into the huge Next near me and back out without buying a thing 4 times. Horrible patterns and stupid bows on the back of things.

I ended spending the gift card I had on school trousers for DS.

Acornantics Tue 28-Feb-17 19:57:45

Their wide leg trousers are always great for me for work, but apart from that I don't like much in store at the moment. The fabric feels cheap, the cuts are less than generous and the patterned stuff is hideous! The catalogue presents outfits beautifully but in reality, it's all a bit meh.

BeastofCraggyIsland Tue 28-Feb-17 20:52:55

I was in Exeter the other week and walked through the big Next store for a nosey on the way back to the car. I was almost stopped in my tracks by this utter monstrosity that was on one of the mannequins. It was the most hideous top I think I have ever seen in my life: www.next.co.uk/g6a36s2?gclid=CjwKEAiA3NTFBRDKheuO6IG43VQSJAA74F77nyNA4wq-BH686GBUs_haZXdzXQ1QlYTGcYpHpF9ojhoCbJzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMaPorfVs9ICFQeo7QodqaMPaQ#732374

It looked worse in real life than it does in those pictures.

Lucked Tue 28-Feb-17 23:42:57

I can only shop online for the unpatterned stuff. Agree it is slim pickings this year but last year was pretty bad too.

welshmist Tue 28-Feb-17 23:57:47

I only buy the skinny jeans there now. The toddler clothes are shocking quality wise

LindyHemming Wed 01-Mar-17 07:01:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Wed 01-Mar-17 07:07:14

I bought some boyfit jeans recently but didn't like anything else

building2017 Wed 01-Mar-17 08:03:09

They are aimed at younger people. I say that as a forty - something, not to be snarky. I just think Next have generally been for under 25s trying to look professional for their first office job out of uni. But I didn't like them even when I was exactly that demographic.

Rockaby Wed 01-Mar-17 08:06:46

Jeeze if that's true building then they weren't doing a very good job when I fit that demographic either! My friends used to joke about shopping in Next at that stage. Thought we were far too cool <rolls eyes at former self> (I'm way Sartrean).

missyB1 Wed 01-Mar-17 08:08:38

I'm 48 and find very little to buy in next, having said that I did spot a nice plain linen look shirt dress the other day. I'm particularly disappointed with the kids clothes though there is literally nothing I would buy in there for my 8 year old.

dailystuck71 Wed 01-Mar-17 09:05:51

I don't know any under 25 that would shop here though!

Libitina Wed 01-Mar-17 09:36:34

The quality of fabrics in Next has been dire for a few years now. Primark/George quality but with Next prices.

barefoofdoctor Wed 01-Mar-17 11:34:08

No idea if Next have currently gone a bit Per Una or not, but the children's cashmere in the sale is fab (and completely unnecessary but too hard to resist).

Littlepiglittlepig3letmeIN Wed 01-Mar-17 11:37:11

I don't like their skinny jeans.
The ones I've had in the past are a horrible thick material. They are usually too tight around the the thighs yet baggy around the waist.
I end up having to wear a belt and then it's too bulky looking under tops.
I refuse to buy them from there any more.

tobee Wed 01-Mar-17 13:28:25

I'm so sick of their stuff being all viscose or other man made fibres. Surely it's not just me that can't bear to wear man made pjs?

fiorentina Wed 01-Mar-17 16:26:29

I have no idea who their target buyer actually is. I always thought 30s/40s when I was younger but now I am that age it's definitely not where I'd choose to shop. Having said that last year I found some great value leather sandals and have some skinny jeans from there. I do have to look hard to find anything in a natural fabric that i would consider.

welshmist Wed 01-Mar-17 21:05:27

I spoke to a woman today who left Next a couple of years ago, she said the quality became shocking, it was embarrassing to sell and the targets which were set awful. You were financially punished for not pushing customers, or spending too long with them, you name it they had a reason to knock back your income. She said mens suits were also of a very poor quality these days. She still lunches with the girls and hears all their woes. Next truly has lost the plot it would seem.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 01-Mar-17 21:07:57

Very poor , apart from their skinny zip work trousers

Doobigetta Wed 01-Mar-17 22:30:03

I haven't bothered looking in Next at all for the last couple of years. Everything is just cheap and nasty. It strikes me as being aimed at older women with a very limited budget, who haven't noticed that no-one wears polyester trouser suits any more.

BagelGoesWalking Wed 01-Mar-17 23:39:49

My DD-17 has just laughed when I've suggested looking in there for her! To her, it's for old people and I think she means 40+ rather than 25+.

Nothing ever fits (me) in there, always seem to be in between sizes. Did buy bootleg jeans in there but not for years. The only thing I bought about a year ago is a b/w patterned type blouse which I've worn twice to interviews and twice to funerals (3rd time at funeral next week probs. Before that, prob hadn't bought anything for 8-10 years.

building2017 Thu 02-Mar-17 06:58:31

Your dd is definitely more in the know than me. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now