Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what do I wear to the ballet

(32 Posts)
ThatWentWell Sun 20-Dec-15 22:46:14

Going to the Royal Opera House for an evening performance. What on earth do I wear? shock

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Sun 20-Dec-15 23:15:47

Tutu/point shoe combo :-)

ThatWentWell Sun 20-Dec-15 23:17:24

Brilliant grin that's made me chuckle.....wink

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Sun 20-Dec-15 23:17:38

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As it's the ROH and the week before Christmas, dust off your party shoes and a frock.

fuzzywuzzy Sun 20-Dec-15 23:18:04

Whatever you want, it's pretty relaxed dress at the ROH

catrin Sun 20-Dec-15 23:20:16

Slightly more boringly, anything at all. Some people will be quite dressed up, think evening wear - dresses with heels, suit and tie. I tend to wear something comfortable for sitting in for 3 hours, plus able to do a fast walk the very long way to the bar during the interval. Temperature wise, it can be variable thanks to the air conditioning, so have layers or a scarf/shawl if that kind of thing irritates you.
Last time I went, I wore black skinny jeans, a black top, big necklace, heeled boots and a leather biker jacket.

Themodernuriahheep Sun 20-Dec-15 23:20:31

Unless you are in the dress circle with people who are black or white tie, don't worry.

Not jeans unless on free student ticket. Don't suggest Crimbo Jersey either.

Themodernuriahheep Sun 20-Dec-15 23:21:32

Whoops, skinny black jeans work, tatty denims you might feel uncomfortable about.

elephantoverthehill Sun 20-Dec-15 23:22:57

Damn, I saw this thread and was going to say tutu but somebody got there before me. My advice is comfortable, a little dressy, but layers. If you are sat in the gods it can be really hot or cold and the same with the dress circle. It depends on which doors they open to let air in.

Maestro Sun 20-Dec-15 23:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maestro Sun 20-Dec-15 23:25:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maybemyrtle Mon 21-Dec-15 00:12:51

Whatever you like really. I was in wellies a few years ago (due to snow) and nobody batted an eyelid.

amarmai Mon 21-Dec-15 00:49:25

a velvet dress or lace maybe.

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Mon 21-Dec-15 20:54:53

<shuffles up gracefully in hobnail boots>

<curtesy>

<catches bouquet>

grin

Dancergirl Mon 21-Dec-15 23:14:43

People don't really dress up for the ballet any more. You can if you want but there will be plenty of people there in jeans.

What are you seeing?

Cabrinha Tue 22-Dec-15 00:17:14

Oh I'm guessing The Nutcracker?
I saw the live screening at the cinema last Wed, it was LOVELY! Very jealous - it's all sold out, deservedly - enjoy!

EmStAubert Tue 22-Dec-15 01:02:13

Depends, a little, on where you're sitting really as to what you can get away (if you're hankering after wearing formal evening wear). But people don't really dress for the ballet anymore, even in the best seats.

ThatWentWell Tue 22-Dec-15 07:50:50

Yes, the Nutcracker. smile

Lifelong ambition, never thought DH would take me but he is!

I kind of wish there was a smarter dress code, I'd like to dress up. However, probably going to do a bit of shopping first, so need something casual too.

I might wear smart jeans but with over the knee boots and a shirt/blouse.

Thanks for all the advice.

ThatWentWell Tue 22-Dec-15 07:52:27

Posted twice, oops!

Naice, you make me chuckle grin

Cabrinha Tue 22-Dec-15 08:24:13

It you want to dress up, dress up! It's your night out grin
And it's wonderful.
After one of Lauren Cuthbertson's dances I actually started to clap - in the cinema!!
You'll love it - in your finery!

Haggisfish Tue 22-Dec-15 08:33:20

Oh I would dress up! Any excuse for the glad rags!

JE1234 Tue 22-Dec-15 08:44:55

If you are in the Stalls or the Dress most people are dressed smartly. I didn't see anyone in casual dress when we went last week. There were those in evening wear but most people were in smart dress. The higher up you go the less formal it becomes.

ThatWentWell Tue 22-Dec-15 08:49:00

We're in the upper amphitheatre. I guess that's more casual?

JE1234 Tue 22-Dec-15 08:53:31

Yeah there will be a mix so you should be fine in anything you're comfortable in. Have fun!

EmStAubert Tue 22-Dec-15 15:57:36

Amphitheatre is more casual for sure. Though some people still dress up, just avoid the ballgowns some seem to favour grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now