Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for non-leather bag?

(18 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Sat 08-Aug-15 20:37:42

I'm vegan, and my current bag is disintegrating at the handle (perils of non-leather, I guess?), but I'm having trouble finding a bag that isn't really cheap and tacky looking.

What I need:

- big enough to hold a paperback, phone, umbrella, tissues, notebook, cloth bag, wallet, epipens and liquid antihistamine;

- ideally small front pocket for lip balm and tickets;

- cross-body preferably;

- fairly structured, ideally square or rectangular shape - no pouchy shapes;

- tan or brown.

Budget is sadly fairly low. Does such a bag exist? Are there any good brands I've yet to discover that do this?

dun1urkin Sat 08-Aug-15 20:40:47

How low? And is the colour non-negotiable? Because these are ace!
elvisandkresse.com/womens-bags/

BabCNesbitt Sat 08-Aug-15 20:49:21

Well, I like warmer colours - definitely no black or grey, and navy's a bit dreary. As for budget, preferably under £50, but definitely no more than £75.

BabCNesbitt Sat 08-Aug-15 20:50:19

(Those are pretty ace, though!)

macnab Sat 08-Aug-15 21:23:13

I got a lovely bag in Tkmaxx recently it was a real bargain, the brand is Lilly Bloom and it's made from recycled plastic bottles! You'd never know! I love it and have had lots of compliments since I got it.

macnab Sat 08-Aug-15 21:25:19

This is similar to the pattern on mine but it's not a backpack. They have lots more in store than online

[http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-womens-new-in/floral-graphic-backpack/invt/11462225]

macnab Sat 08-Aug-15 21:25:43

Sorry blush
www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-womens-new-in/floral-graphic-backpack/invt/11462225

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Aug-15 21:29:23

I use non leather bags - I have Kipling
Lots of pockets, styles,sizes,shapes,colours

Lok on QVC (I don't work for them grin)

I got a really nice grey cross body square flat bag with card holder bits, key holder, 3 zipped pockets.

And I put mine through the wash in a netbag.

I looked in all the stores (including TKMaxx) nothing came close.

Hobbes8 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:37:49

Accessorize have quite nice faux leather bags. I don't know if they'd be considered vegan though, in that they might use non-vegan glue.

Personally I'd go for one that's made of fabric, rather than plastic pretending to look like leather. Agree that Kipling could be a good place to look.

Anything here?

BabCNesbitt Sat 08-Aug-15 22:26:42

The Lily Bloom one is cute, but ideally I'm looking for something more adaptable (good for everyday and possible interviews) - yes, I know, and give me the moon on an effing stick too, please.

Agree that fabric probably better - my current bag was from Brooklyn Industries and it was waxed cotton, which is great but inevitably starts peeling. Quite surprised by those Kipling ones, as I'd assumed that all they did was those backpacks with the monkeys hanging off them! The Alvar one could work, I think?

Hobbes - I'm a crap vegan in that I usually fail to check about the glue...

ChishandFips33 Sat 08-Aug-15 22:31:45

Nica are nice - not sure about the glue though

BabCNesbitt Sat 08-Aug-15 23:10:54

Yeah, I saw Nica in John Lewis today, and they do look good - do you know what they're like to use, Chish? Do they start peeling at the strap quickly?

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 08-Aug-15 23:17:03

Another vote for Kipling here. They are really hard wearing and you can get some smart/multipurpose designs.

Hobbes8 Sat 08-Aug-15 23:24:28

A crao vegan is better than a steak eating leather wearing me! I just thought I'd mention.

CheekyMaleekey Sat 08-Aug-15 23:27:20

mattandnat.com/

BabCNesbitt Sat 08-Aug-15 23:33:22

I love Matt and Nat, but they're just a bit too expensive for me. I try to keep an eye on eBay for them, though!

ChishandFips33 Sat 08-Aug-15 23:33:37

I have a couple but have too many bags so don't use them that often

Think if you're going cross body that would slow the strap peeling down??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now