Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Fell out of love with Boden and Gap-bad quality! Where else to shop?

(41 Posts)
BazilGin Mon 19-Jan-15 22:47:57

I don't know where else to shop...2 tops from Boden shrunk, jacket's zip broke and Gap tops bought inDec sale already bobbled.
At the moment I am BFing so wearing skinny jeans with tops most of the time and shopping mostly online.
Where else can I look that doesn't cost the earth and is of reasonable quality?!

Cooki3Monst3r Mon 19-Jan-15 22:51:04

Fuck knows! I have the same problem.

The only other staple for me is Fat Face. I use them for jeans and jumpers - not keen on the ubiquitous Jersey dress! Not very inspiring but I have never had anything from FF wear out before I'm bored of it.

Or, Great Plains?

Trundlebundle Mon 19-Jan-15 22:51:07

Uniqlo, great quality and reasonably priced, especially the sales.

TerryWogan4President Mon 19-Jan-15 22:59:38

White Stuff as well as Fat Face are my go-too wardrobe staples. Joules too is quite good(although sizing can be a bit erratic IMHO).

Instituteofstudies Tue 20-Jan-15 00:05:28

Watching with interest. What are GAP doing?! The bobbling is dreadful. However, I get their gym stuff, and that's great quality. My dd swears by Uniqlo. Wish we had one where we are.

PoppySausage Tue 20-Jan-15 00:09:59

Fat face is brilliant

BazilGin Tue 20-Jan-15 20:10:21

Thanks, I forgot about fatface! Never shopped in whitestuff or uniqlo, what is their sizing like?
Definitely giving GAP a break now, I got a hole in jeans I bought last month. Shame, I used to love their stuff!

TwoLittleTerrors Tue 20-Jan-15 22:20:42

Thanks for the thread bazilgin. We hav fat face and White stuff locally so will definitely go in and have a look. Don't have uniqlo around but I believe their sizing is small. It's a Japanese brand and very popular in Hong Kong. (My family lives there). DH got a lot of t shirts there and they are lovely.

Shame about gap. I like their cardigans and jumpers.

florencedombey Tue 20-Jan-15 22:22:56

Try Seasalt - excellent quality (I have Breton tops which are ten years old and still going strong). They have shops in the southwest or you can buy online or via John Lewis.

Innocuoususername Tue 20-Jan-15 22:24:06

Uniqlo quality is good but the sizes come up small. To give you an idea, I'm a 12-14 or medium most other places and I take a large in Uniqlo.

TwoLittleTerrors Tue 20-Jan-15 23:09:14

vertdeterre that's because a 12-14 would be very large in Japan. I wear 8/XS here and am about average.

TwoLittleTerrors Tue 20-Jan-15 23:11:34

Actually I'm a 6 in next but I seldom shop there. Got a couple of basic tees there this year.

However I'm more worried about things like waist to hip ratio. I've got a large bum and find it hard to buy jeans on the Internet. Or indeed anything tight around the lower half.

Innocuoususername Wed 21-Jan-15 01:15:36

Yes thanks for pointing out how gargantuan I am by Japanese standards hmm

RosyAuroch Wed 21-Jan-15 08:12:31

Baukjen, Sea Salt, Me and Em, Great Plains, Beaumont Organic El Ganso

TyrannosaurusBex Wed 21-Jan-15 08:19:12

I like Seasalt but a lot of my stuff from there tends not to last that well. The Bretons go on forever, though.

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 21-Jan-15 11:29:06

vertdeterre there's nothing wrong with 12-14. Isn't that the average British size? Or even below average? It's just a fact we are smaller. Have you been there? You can say we are midgets.

That's why I worry about the jeans without trying on. I have a bigger bottom than the average Japanese. They all seem to be very lean.

SpaghettiMeatballs Wed 21-Jan-15 11:32:36

It's a nightmare. I do like Fat Face.

I loved Gap Tall tops but they've started getting little holes after two or three wears. Boden tops do that too and are too short.

HolyTerror Wed 21-Jan-15 11:39:13

Another fan of Uniqlo, though I've never bought anything from them without trying it on in a store. I bought all my basics from them when we lived in London.

Toast? Not cheap, and some of their fits are quite 'boxy' on me, but they have some lovely knitwear at the moment, and a sale on. They size large.

WellTidy Wed 21-Jan-15 12:04:48

I like White Stuff a lot. But thereir stuff always comes up big on me. I would buy a Small jumper or a size 10 nearly everywhere. Butin White Stuff I am a size 8. Their fit is relaxed. I like their skirts, jumpers/cardis and scarves though. I buy most of my casual stuff there. There is usually an offer code lurking around and they will honour an online discount code in store if you ask. Stocked in John Lewis as well as their standalone stores.

VillaVillekulla Wed 21-Jan-15 12:22:30

I like Uniqlo a lot. I buy a lot there, especially in sales. I just got a lovely pair of work trousers for £9.99, a plain black, long sleeved Heattech top for £4.90, and a pencil skirt for £9.99.

I don't find their sizing small though. I'm an 8-10 and I wear a small in Uniqlo. Seems right to me.

Lardylassnomore Wed 21-Jan-15 12:44:48

I have bought stuff from a gap outlet ad genuinely found the quality great with no bobbling on the long sleeve tops I bought.

arlagirl Wed 21-Jan-15 12:47:58

I love Esprit

Hoppinggreen Wed 21-Jan-15 13:24:23

I like Mint Velvet and Baukjen

feesh Wed 21-Jan-15 13:27:07

I like Banana Republic and Me+Em for quality.

Follyfoot Wed 21-Jan-15 13:28:16

I was just going to say Esprit too. Just got a lovely down coat from there - really good quality.

Great Plains is my other favourite. Oh and Sainsburys have some decent basics.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: