Advanced search

Does anybody know what Barbour jacket sizing/fit is like?

(22 Posts)
VideoEtTaceo Tue 26-Mar-13 19:52:50

I'm eyeing up some quilted Barbour jackets - I'm generally a 12, sometimes a 10. Does anyone know how generous their sizing is? And whether their jackets are nipped in - I don't want to look bulky. I am also slightly worried they'll make me look dowdy - I'm 25 and sometimes fear I dress older than I am, but hoping the barbour will look chic! Going on a school trip and need sometime warm and waterproof.

Lozislovely Tue 26-Mar-13 20:07:21

I have a Barbour quilted jacket. On phone so can't link but it could only be bought from Barbour by mail (has silver zips/branding). I'm a 12/14 and had to go for 14 to get it over my norks even though they are far from being anywhere near big!

Mine isn't a belted style - more of a short jacket and whilst I can wear jumpers under it, it isn't overly roomy.

mum23girlys Tue 26-Mar-13 20:12:32

I have the shorter padded belted style. I generally wear a 6 or 8 depending on shop. I bought an 8 and have plenty room in it. Can wear a jumper under it comfortably. I don't have much in the boob department tho sad I'd say if you range between two sizes to go for the larger of your size range. I would say their sizing is true to size. Hope that helps

HollyBollyBooBoo Tue 26-Mar-13 21:05:51

A tiny bit on the small side so if in doubt go up.

AllOverIt Wed 27-Mar-13 07:01:06

I'm a 12 and got a 14. They come up slightly small

CooEeeEldridge Wed 27-Mar-13 07:03:57

Another that thinks they come up small here.

OrangeLily Wed 27-Mar-13 07:09:28

I think they come up slightly bigger. Iv got a belted one and fell in love with it because its a 12 and it zips comfortably over my boobs. I was shocked because DH made me go in to the shop at the end of a long and grumpy day because I'm a 12 but have I buy at least 14 normally for the boobs in a coat or jacket. I had spent all day trying on these tent style monstrosities and Barbour was amazing.

Snowcatliveshere Wed 27-Mar-13 07:41:46

I think bigger too - I have my normal size and I wish I'd gone down a size.

Pseudonymity Wed 27-Mar-13 09:19:44

I don't think the quilted ones are waterproof.

AllOverIt Wed 27-Mar-13 12:27:29

I NikWaxed mine and its waterproof now!

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 27-Mar-13 13:08:49

I've got the arctic down parka and would agree they're on the smaller size or perhaps just a true size.

I suspect the styles vary quite a bit.

One thing if you're tall the arms aren't terribly long.

NonnaMai Wed 27-Mar-13 14:43:29

Mixed opinions, I'm another who thinks they come up bigger. I used to work in a Barbour outlet store. Staff could often buy samples for very low prices. The result is I have11 Barbour jackets. Samples only came in a size 12 and I'm a 14 but they all fit nicely.

The only exception being my waxed international, I would say that is smaller. My quilted is a generous size.

VideoEtTaceo Wed 27-Mar-13 19:40:33

Very mixed opinions! Perhaps I'd better get off ebay and go and try one on somewhere. Thank you all so much for answering.

sophiacharles Fri 17-Nov-17 07:03:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

whitewineandchocolate Fri 17-Nov-17 08:17:24

I definitely think they come up on the small side, I tried a padded one yesterday in town and then ordered it online for £40 less!

I have tried a good few over the years and they all seem a bit snug compared to other premium brands.

IheartNiles Fri 17-Nov-17 08:32:07

They definitely come up small if you have boobs. Sleeves are also tight.

Holyknight Fri 17-Nov-17 12:30:03

I think small too. I tried a lot on and had to size up.

RoseWhiteTips Fri 17-Nov-17 14:25:31

I bought one in the summer - quilted and fitted. I had to size up so you should definitely try them on.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 17-Nov-17 16:51:58

I'm a 12 but got a 14. I'd probably have squeezed into a 12 but I don't like tight coats so sizing up is probably easier.

John Lewis usually have a good variety of sizes, if there's one near you perhaps pop in and try one on if you can; I think different styles probably size differently (mine is cream and belted so probably less forgiving).

LardLizard Fri 17-Nov-17 18:14:56

Personally I think mine comes up big

Zxyzoey31 Fri 17-Nov-17 19:48:01

It does depend on the style. If it is fitted size up otherwise size down!

SpeckledyHen Fri 17-Nov-17 20:16:38

Small with tight sleeves .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now