Talk

Advanced search

Okay, this year I AM having a new coat, so which one do I need?

(18 Posts)

For the last two years I've been too skint or too pregnant to bother buying a new coat. My old one really won't last another year. I'm clueless though. What styles should I be looking for?

I need warm, practical and stylish. My usual winter look is skinny jeans with country boots or tan leather boots, or a tea dress with thick tights and boots.

I'm thinking parka? Or military? Or am I miles out?

LittlePandaBear Thu 20-Sep-12 20:31:30

This would look good with skinnies and boots. Not seen it in real life but looks nice online...

I'm not keen on the parker you linked too, a little dull. I like the military one but it would depend on your figure and I'm not sure it would go with everything.

snowmummy Thu 20-Sep-12 21:52:15

I like the military one

bishboschone Thu 20-Sep-12 21:55:09

I am coveting the military one .smile

Lycra Fri 21-Sep-12 16:21:29

I was loving that military one online but I saw it in real life the other day, it's a bit shorter than it looks and the material was not nice imho, very synthetic feeling and fluff-attracting!
Sorry! It looks lovely online...

beautyfades Fri 21-Sep-12 17:02:47

Sounds like how i dress. love fitted black leather jackets, but not practical realy... i like the sound of a nice parker but not sure with dresses, but what do i know!

Dinosaurhunter Fri 21-Sep-12 17:05:05

Hobbs have got some lovely coats , I'm hoping to buy the aviator leather jacket.

MsKayGee Fri 21-Sep-12 17:15:54

The Military one looks lovely. And parka's with dresses are a definite no imo.

Thank you. I went to look for that Mint Velvet one earlier, but it wasn't in stock. Anyone care to share links to what they're wearing this year?

Sleepwhenidie Fri 21-Sep-12 19:27:39

I am seriously considering this parka from Whistles, it has a cosy lining and big hood, seems stylish and practical.

Sleepwhenidie Fri 21-Sep-12 19:29:49

Oh i like dresses and parkas! Wrong in theory but somehow quite cool... so long as its a casual dress, wouldn't work with a Roland Mouret type number grin!

Me too sleepwhenidie - and fortunately I don't have any Roland Mouret dresses to wear with one so no risk of accidentally wearing them together.

Oh, I forgot a rule for this search. It can't be black. DH is trying to ban me from wearing black.

purplepenguin86 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:14:09

Oooh I like the military one. I need a new coat. Does anyone else find buying coats a nightmare? They either look good, or they are comfy and cosy - never both! Except for one that I have which is amazing, and looks good and is the warmest thing ever. But it is off white/cream and gets dirty as soon as I put it on. But I always get compliments on it. I need something a bit more practical though.

What are people's thoughts about MULTI-14&refpage=coats-jackets/macs-coats duffle coats?

Link fail. The 'weeping willow' on this page

Sleepwhenidie Fri 21-Sep-12 20:19:43

Erm...could you not convince him it is grey...the waxy finish does reduce the blackness of the Whistles one hmm - probably a long shot grin

Link to duffle coat not working, however they can be nice (rather than cool, which imo a parka usually is) but no good in the rain! How important is that?

Ha! I could give it a try. "Black darling? Nooo, it's not black. Do we need to go back to Ultralase for a check up?"

Hm, waterproof would be good. Is there such a thing as a stylish waterproof coat?

wishiwasonholiday Fri 21-Sep-12 20:25:51

I just bought a military one from next it's lovely and thick and everyone whose seen it says it looks nice. Just tried to post a link but the sales started so the site won't load.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now