Talk

Advanced search

Best vintage red lipstick?

(12 Posts)
DancingWind Tue 12-Jul-11 21:29:18

Can anyone tell me which brand does that old hollywood orange based red lipstick? I find only true reds, blue based reds or completely orange or coral lipsticks. Where is the shade that old hollywood stars used? Or did it just look different on them?!

Havingkittens Tue 12-Jul-11 21:50:35

Try Besame. They sell it at What Katie Did, either online or in their boutique on Portobello Rd. Very beautiful vintage inspired packaging and authentic matte texture for a true vintage look.

http://www.whatkatiedid.com/product/676-besame-classic-colour-lipstick-b1005

Others to try are Illamasqua who have a great selection of matte reds. t the cheaper end of the scale, Revlon do some good orange reds too.

Elemental Tue 12-Jul-11 21:53:46

Bobbi Brown Burnt Red is a beautiful orange-based red.

wompoopigeon Tue 12-Jul-11 21:54:32

Lipstick Queen, stocked at Space NK, do a very good one.

DancingWind Tue 12-Jul-11 22:45:43

Thanks ladiessmile So far I've tried MAC Lady danger and dior Dolce Vita(bloody expensive that one). But both are not quite the exact shade I wantsad

Hevian Wed 13-Jul-11 06:40:23

Try www.illamasqua.com/shop/catalogue/lips/ they have several classic reds.

Pandsbear Wed 13-Jul-11 09:54:34

I second Besame.

muddlinleigh Wed 13-Jul-11 12:13:30

Revlon Fire and Ice is a pretty good bet but I'd third Besame.

Havingkittens Wed 13-Jul-11 12:20:06

Fire and Ice is lovely but it's a pretty bright coral red, and very much on trend at the moment. I wouldn't call it a vintage orangey red though.

Lipstickgal Wed 13-Jul-11 12:20:09

Revlon matte lipstick in 'Really Red'.
Revlon colorstay 345 Red Velvet- more orange in tone. You can only buy this one online or via Ebay, but it is wonderful and doesn't dry out/flake or bleed. Pretty inexpensive if you take the Ebay option too -about £3.

DancingWind Thu 14-Jul-11 15:04:43

Just ordered Red Velvetgrin

colditz Thu 14-Jul-11 15:10:00

Revlon have a beautiful one - it's matt though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now