Talk

Advanced search

What has happened to the zombie thread warning ?

(49 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AnyFucker Wed 30-Aug-17 00:02:18

A few threads I have clicked on today have been several years old.

The warning has gone ! Please bring it back.

HerRoyalFattyness Wed 30-Aug-17 00:05:03

I think it disappears after a few people have posted as its technically active again then, and no longer a zombie.

nancy75 Wed 30-Aug-17 00:06:41

Was it the one about the overdue baby from 2007? I hope the poor woman has had the baby by now

AnyFucker Wed 30-Aug-17 00:06:42

Do we have an influx of stupid people bumping them all then ? I have seen a 10yo and an 11yo one bumped today.

GirlDownUnder Wed 30-Aug-17 00:09:38

There was a spammer who basically just hit loads of threads, so page 1 of relationships for eg was all from 10+ years ago...

Very tedious.

HerRoyalFattyness Wed 30-Aug-17 00:11:56

Do we have an influx of stupid people

Yep. I think we do.
They should hopefully disappear again soon.

SnickersWasAHorse Wed 30-Aug-17 00:12:32

And despite people asking since forever there is no Zombie warning in the op and any zombie warning that is there vanishes after a couple of posters.

AnyFucker Wed 30-Aug-17 00:16:52

I wonder if the thread bumpers are the same ones starting all the transparently made up ones. It's like A B C 1 2 3 FAKE THREAD BINGO round here recently.

daisychain01 Wed 30-Aug-17 05:23:45

AF I've got an aversion to Zombie threads in the way Maryz has to Christmas, but some people just don't get it.

I find them intensely irritating, probably my fault for not reading the date of each OP before reading several pages into the thread, only to realise someone's little pfb is now in secondary school sitting their A Levels!

I'm all for bringing back that ugly critter with dripping fangs, myself, but apparently it puts off new MNers.

AnyFucker Wed 30-Aug-17 06:25:35

Oh christ, mustn't upset the newbies shock

silkybear Wed 30-Aug-17 06:29:43

Someone came up with a really good idea a few months ago that all zombie threads be marked with a coloured background so even if revived they would be obviously zombies. Seemed a good solution so not sure why it wasn't taken up.

PositiveAttitude Wed 30-Aug-17 07:51:46

The 10 year old one that I clicked on yesterday just had 1 new post, so the Zombie warning had certainly not been removed because it had been resurrected.

It's really annoying and a waste of time to read half a thread before you realise that it is so old, not sure why the warnings have disappeared.

MNHQ - please sort this!

SnickersWasAHorse Wed 30-Aug-17 08:05:36

Silky. I've been saying that should be an option for years. Surely it shouldn't be too hard to make the op's post bright read and with a banner at the top saying 'approach with caution, Zombie thread'.
I think there might be a problem with the way that changing the ops and the own posts colours are individual choice.

TrojanWhore Wed 30-Aug-17 08:20:19

I can vaguely remember MNHQ talking about zombie threads recently, and they didn't want to make them more obvious as it wouid be unwelcoming to newcomers.

Remember which audience MN values.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Wed 30-Aug-17 08:24:38

There have been plenty of suggestions in the past for a short polite message. Or locking threads after a certain amount of time.

But apparently it's not a priority. And so idiots will continue to reanimate zombie threads & other idiots will continue to just respond to the opening post. Hah.

EddChinasVagina Wed 30-Aug-17 08:27:21

Why don't they just lock them for new replies after a certain amount of time has elapsed after the new one? Then no one can revive a really old thread. Seems a really simple solution to me...

EddChinasVagina Wed 30-Aug-17 08:27:49

Sorry that should read "after the last one"

Smeaton Wed 30-Aug-17 08:32:31

Purge them I say.
After 2 years they get deleted unless moved to classics or elsewhere.

That way any potentially useful threads with good advice could be saved but the useless waffle ones would disappear.

SnickersWasAHorse Wed 30-Aug-17 10:44:18

The problem with that Smeaton is who is to say what it a useful thread?
Also, who is going to go through and decide which ones to bin and which to keep.

All threads should be locked 18months after the last post to everyone but the OP. That way if the OP wants to come back and update then they can but you won't get the repeated issue of them being spammed.

Smeaton Wed 30-Aug-17 10:56:10

Snickers
I'd imagine people could nominate a thread for keeping the way they do for classics.

I like the locked to everyone but op way. But if someone loses username, password, email etc they wouldn't be able tomupdate

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 30-Aug-17 12:25:12

Hmmm. A poster recently was very upset that the threads she had made when her dc died were marked as 'zombie'.

I think they should be coloured differently and readily distinguishable, as others have suggested, rather than the dripping fangs etc.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 30-Aug-17 12:26:02

Or locked. Locked is good.

AnyFucker Wed 30-Aug-17 13:57:00

Perhaps a better name would be "inactive"

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Aug-17 13:59:47

Zombie warning ate itself I reckon. A lot of Mumsnetters apparently love a zombie thread and can't see the issue.

Probably these are the people that reply to OPs from 8 years ago with very serious advice without reading the 18 pages of previous replies...

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 30-Aug-17 14:00:09

oh no, I don't think they should be purged but I definitely like the idea of giving them a coloured background, so that people don't post on them even when the Zombie warning has gone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: