Talk

Advanced search

Where's [gin] when it's needed?

(73 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

RancidOldHag Tue 24-Jan-17 07:15:15

Starting a new thread as this would sound rather off on the one to which I refer.

I find the Zombie 'home fire' thread incomprehensible. Not because I disagree with it, or want to spoil it or anything.

But because person after person has posted just blank squares. Now, I assume they are a non MN emoticon of some sort. But they can't be read by all devices, and whereas usually you can guess by context you just can't when that's the entirety of the post.

Which got me thinking about MN emoticons again, and ask - as in the thread title - where's [gin] when you need it?

picklemepopcorn Tue 24-Jan-17 07:41:30

The squares are (almost certainly) little lit candles, for those who have the right devices. There are an awful lot of them, so presumably most devices now recognise them. I could go for gin, though.

RancidOldHag Tue 24-Jan-17 07:45:40

Unfortunately there is no prospect that certain forms of assistive technology will ever cope with it (something I post about fairly often, plus my gratitude that text-speak is rare here).

And I know it's a rare thread, but context-free emojis exclude some readers.

[gin] might not be everyone's tipple, but it just strikes me as an apt time for a new MN emoticon

Not as if it's a new idea that there should be one. Just a suggestion that this could be a really, really good time to have one.

picklemepopcorn Tue 24-Jan-17 09:49:21

Oh, I didn't know that, thank you. So does assistive technology manage the other emoticons? I don't use text speak much but will use it less now I know, too!

cozietoesie Tue 24-Jan-17 12:15:12

I don't much like wine, I fear. Hard liquor is my tipple of choice. A [gin] emoticon would be....appropriate. grin

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 24-Jan-17 15:17:38

We shall certainly pass this splendid idea on to the big cheeses.
smile

picklemepopcorn Tue 24-Jan-17 17:53:37

Just to be clear @flissmumsnet, I truly think it should be a bottle, not a glass. Let's be honest realistic here. Especially now.

RancidOldHag Tue 24-Jan-17 17:58:38

It depends which tech, and whether it's acting up that day!

Generally, MN emoticons are readable (don't want to speak for everyone's kit, though)

But that is rather a side issue (and perhaps could have done this thread without mentioning other threads at all)

Andput emphasis on just asking for [gin] as I think this might be a good time to lift a glass.

AuntieStella Tue 24-Jan-17 18:50:17

Gin and [gin] is always welcome

paxillin Tue 24-Jan-17 18:56:15

Gin would be lovely.

TiggyD Tue 24-Jan-17 20:32:02

I still think that [rolleyes] and [vomit] would be of more use.

GlacindaTheTroll Tue 24-Jan-17 20:34:17

No way am I drinking a celebratory (or commemorative) glass of vomit!

paxillin Tue 24-Jan-17 21:24:51

But hmm and envy are fine substitutes for [rolleyes] and [vomit]?

TiggyD Tue 24-Jan-17 21:37:46

So if I accidental catch part of a Piers Morgan interview I have to use [ envy ] instead of vomit? Just not the same.

And [rolleyes] is an internet standard surely? [ hmm ] is good, but a bit aggressive.

paxillin Tue 24-Jan-17 21:47:24

I accept the envy isn't quite right for vomit. But eye-rolling is every bit as aggressive as hmm. I actually miss hmm on the rest of the internet.

In RL, a raised brow can be funny, but an eye-rolling kid really brings out unhinged mummy in me.

RancidOldHag Wed 25-Jan-17 07:38:09

I was rather thinking of this right now, in order to toast an old lush with [gin]

picklemepopcorn Wed 25-Jan-17 14:33:49

Cheers [gin]. (I've popped in and lurked for a while, though am not one of the proper people.) tough times.

Southsearocks Thu 26-Jan-17 09:35:40

I concur. Can we have a gin emoticon in Zomby's honour? Be a nice way to remember her.

Losgunna Thu 26-Jan-17 09:39:11

Another one here saying a [gin] for Zombie is a great idea

cozietoesie Thu 26-Jan-17 23:02:27

Any thoughts, HQ ? (A green bottle would probably be fine. If full. grin)

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Jan-17 14:31:39

A superb idea, we'll put it to the bosses. For the time being, we'll have to make do with wine

EdithWeston Fri 27-Jan-17 14:34:27

cosietozie I feel a song coming on....

Ten green bottles la la la la la

(Bombay Sapphire drinker, though)

liquidrevolution Fri 27-Jan-17 14:36:05

gin gin gin gin gin pleeeeeease!

I love hmm. if you offered it for sale so I could use it on other social media I would so buy it grin.

cozietoesie Fri 27-Jan-17 15:18:28

To be referred to in future as Zombie's emoticon? grin

Thanks Fliss.

meditrina Fri 27-Jan-17 20:05:01

[gin]

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now