Talk

Advanced search

GIRLS' shoes for secondary!

(16 Posts)
GrapefruitMoon Wed 30-Jul-08 09:07:31

Following on from Roisin's thread....

DD will be walking to school so want to get her some that will be reasonably durable/weatherproof but that she will be happy to wear. I hate seeing girls walking around in ballet pumps with the backs worn down!

Last year she had pump-style shoes with straps which were a reasonable compromise but will they be deemed too babyish for secondary?

kingprawntikka Wed 30-Jul-08 10:56:00

My daughter has worn Sketchers since she started high school. They seemed a reasonable compromise after Clarks or Start-rite. She walks a mile and a half round trip and they have lasted until she out grow them .

maidamess Wed 30-Jul-08 10:58:43

Yes Clarks have some good ones. I actually got my dd some from the womens section rather than the childrens, which all seemed to be great clonky things.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 30-Jul-08 10:59:20

Camper or Bullfrogs are good.

frogs Wed 30-Jul-08 11:02:33

oh god oh god oh god.

Just pack up your will to live and chuck it away right now.

You can buy moderately sensible and reasonably funky shoes from eg. skechers and rhino. She will probably wear them for a time in Y7 while she's still too new and green to know any better.

Then the £7.99 ballet pumps from shoe express will enter your life. You can fight it, but you will not win. Arrgggh.

We also had a canvas pumps phase in February fgs. Mercifully the school put a stop to that before I had to take action. Strict schools are good in this context. But in september it will all kick off again, oh god oh god.

<<bangs head against nearest solid object>>

<<whispers>>
You do know about teenage girls and coats, don't you? That thing whereby it is somehow deeply uncool to go to school in anything more substantial than a thin jumper, and possibly a scarf? In January?? Luckily dd1's school have a (hideous) prescribed uniform coat which has to be worn on pain of detention from October to February. But arrrgh again.

SqueakyPop Wed 30-Jul-08 11:03:38

Pumps with straps are very popular in my school - all the way up to Y13!

I am so glad that clumpy shoes have gone out of fashion.

roisin Wed 30-Jul-08 18:08:26

PMSL at Frogs's post. The girls at my school are just like this too: I'm so glad I don't have girls grin

Whizzz Wed 30-Jul-08 18:13:59

grin...and you hear the trodden down ballet pumps flip flapping down the corridors.

And then you get the ones who try & sneek in wearing pretend Ugg boots that are always gone over on one side - must be like wearing a sponge on each foot when it rains!

SqueakyPop Wed 30-Jul-08 18:23:37

Our pupils are not allowed shoes without a supported back. As well as looking awful when they have broken backs, these kind of shoes are so dangerous on stairs.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 31-Jul-08 09:03:43

Thanks for all the advice (and lol at Frog's post!)

I am resigned to the fact that she will wear what she wants soon enough (have bought a cheap coat for this year on the basis that she will only wear her blazer after that hmm)

She saw a pair in Clarks yesterday that she liked (and were fine by me!) but am worried they will be deemed too uncool within a few months.

(Am slightly tempted to make her wear last year's pair - a bit scruffy - to start off with to avoid an expensive mistake...)

kate55 Thu 31-Jul-08 14:00:00

thats a really good idea cool is soooooo important in yr 7

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 14:03:06

shudder @ this thread, knowing It's Not That Far Away sad wink

(nearly yr 4 - we've already started the slip-ons rows hmm)

Tortington Thu 31-Jul-08 14:04:40

can she get a locker - my kids ride to school in their DCs then change

GrapefruitMoon Thu 31-Jul-08 14:06:39

Yes she will have a locker (what are DCs??)

Tortington Thu 31-Jul-08 14:16:05

some trendy trainer these young 'uns wear these daysgrin

GrapefruitMoon Thu 31-Jul-08 14:17:17

Ah well that explains my ignorance! (Doesn't seem that long ago that I would have known that!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now