This is a Premium feature
Secondary school waiting list(28 Posts)
We have been given a school from Barnet LA which is 4th in our list. What is the likelihood to get a slot from the waiting list of Wren and St Andrew the Aposthole mid April? Do you know if St Michael Catholic waiting list is moving? Or you think we better accept a super expensive private school we have been offered. This process is painful. I really do not want to go private.
Thanks for your replies.
If the 4th choice school is an “over my dead body” disaster for you, then you had better accept the private school. If it’s just “not what I would have chosen”, then accept it, (so you have a fall back) and hang on in there with the chance of a waiting list place elsewhere.
If you really don’t want to pay out for private school, you will probably prefer to have the 4th place as a fall back rather than nothing at all.
There is a fair chance of some movement on those waiting lists, but both Wren and St Michael’s are very popular schools (don’t know about St A) - and you’ve given no indication of how well she did in the St M’s test or whether you’ve applied for a church or distance place at Wren and how far away you live. Once the LA has sorted out their waiting lists (usually a couple of weeks after offers are made) you will know where you are in the queue for each school, and will have a better indication. If you’re 1-3, you’ll have a good chance of a place, 4-15 a fair chance, and over 15 less so (my experience only). Less at St M’a I would imagine as it’s a small school and places are hard won.
It’s definitely not worth getting your DD hopeful of a waiting list place anywhere as sometimes it just doesn’t happen - the most important thing is that she doesn’t feel where she’s going is second-rate. Does she have any friends going to the 4th choice? - maybe that can help her feel more positive about things.
Also, definitely consider making an appeal. I don’t wholly approve unless there are a strong set of circumstances - but I have seen many families inexplicably jump waiting list queues this way, just because they they can put together an persuasive argument. It seems very unfair on less articulate families, or those whose sense of fair play allows them to accept that the better / closer candidates won the places - but in this dog-eat-dog North London world, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.
Good luck - hope this helps.
Thank you. At St Michael she is 137... last year 137 got in x so we hope. At Wren and St Andrew we applied via faith places as we are Catholic ....
Bishop Douglass recent experience can you please share? Is it really still a bad school or has improved in the last year? I have seen various different opinions.. thank you
For the faith places, ask to check that you were placed in the correct category - I.e. make sure that your daughter was considered under the faith criteria.
Hi Ive recently found out my son recieved first choice on Thursday however a few weeks ago I tried to change our preference to the second choice as we felt we had made a mistake but unfortunately we was too late.
I am declining the offer of first choice and appealing for 2nd what are my chances if he’s older sibling attends 2nd choice?
"I am declining the offer of first choice and appealing for 2nd what are my chances if he’s older sibling attends 2nd choice?"
Do not decline the place you have been offered, unless you have a private school place lined up or can genuinely HE. Because if you do not get a place at the no2 school (all places will have been offered out, waiting list movement uncertain, appeal uncertain) then you run the risk of no place at all in September.
I suggest you start a separate thread about your circumstances and perhaps posters can help with advice on your appeal. But 'we would have been offered this one if we'd put it first' isn't going to be an appeal-winning argument.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
[Ignoring casyak who should start her own thread and not hijack someone else’s!]
@era2018 - accept Bishop Douglas and then hang on in there for the others . Sounds that you may have a fair crack at St Michael’s. Just depends how many turn down offers of places. Just a matter of staying cool.
When do you have to let the private school know? - and how affordable is the deposit - which you will probably lose, if you accept the place and then change your mind?
Don’t know anything about Bishop Douglas I’m afraid.
I know that they were down to 117 as of Thursday March 1 at St. Michaels Catholic Grammar.
According to another forum, number 121 at St M's has been offered, whilst number 123 is on the waiting list. Assuming those details are correct, you would be either 15th or 16th on the waiting list for St M's.
Hi ladies thanks for your replies ! I am so anxious . The private is to be responded on Monday ....1000 pounds deposit but don't think is a school worth to pay for St Margaret Bushey , good education but not that school that if you are normal family you want to invest all your money for. Best state in my view. Thanks for the info on St Michael ! Do you think is a good sign that they re already at 117 or we need to wait and see if the first 117 accept? Thank you ladies really appreciate your insight and experience ...❤️
There will be little movement in the Wren waiting list given its strict criteria. But you have a good chance with St Andrew's which is often a back-up to private options. It will depend where you are on the waiting list.
I wouldn't pay for St Margaret's if you've got a good change with St Michael's, the Wren or St Andrew's.
High risk but there are similar private schools with open slots later in the season, including Mount House and Queenswood.
Queenswood apparently only has waiting list places at present. I guess this may change once people have decided on state offers.
Queenswood is increasingly becoming a first choice school as opposed to a backup choice. This wasn’t the case a few years ago though.
Thank you so much for all these advices ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
@Zodlebud - this is undoubtedly true as Queenswood is getting more popular. However I know that at least one child applied late and got a place.
@BananaDaiquiri can you share link to St. Michaels at 121?
No my daughter was in the top 96 girls at St. Michaels but Her friend is in the 120s and is wondering when they will hear. Do you know how the waitlist offers are made and when?
I don't know, I am finding lots of info on the Elevenplusexams site so suggest to ask there so we keep ourselves updated... there is the mum of girl123 there ...
I would guess that the St. Andrews list will move quite a bit as quite a few got that from our school and don't want it! 5th choice for them
Are you aware of any offers done from St Michael on 30/3? They should have been received yesterday or will be today. I am aware they have now offered to 123 rank just want to understand up to what number they have offered if you are aware via your network.
Thank you 😊
Please login first.