Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why would a man be interested in a younger woman?

(59 Posts)
muchtooshy Wed 26-Mar-14 18:20:30

I posted a thread about the man I am (I think) dating and one comment said that men often look for a younger partner when they have been divorced. Why would this be? It made me think about the age gap but I don't notice it in a bad way when we are together.

NigellasDealer Wed 26-Mar-14 18:21:46

so that he can spread his seed in more fertile ground? possibly?

LoisPuddingLane Wed 26-Mar-14 18:23:40

Because he can? I've been with chaps of all different ages and, while I wouldn't pick a young man for a relationship, I cannot deny it's lovely to have a firm springy body in your bed.

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Mar-14 18:24:02

Easier to bend to his ways?

Make shim look 'good', virile etc.

So he knows he will definitely die before her?

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 26-Mar-14 18:25:51

Maybe it's nothing to do with the age gap as such.

Maybe it's to do with the avaliable age group.

niceupthedance Wed 26-Mar-14 18:27:41

To increase his perceived status.

muchtooshy Wed 26-Mar-14 18:28:51

He has said he doesn't want another child so I don't think it is that and I am not ... well firm or gorgeous!

His exes and ex wife were all quite close in age to him so this is the biggest age gap. We met online so he knew my age before he messaged me.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 26-Mar-14 18:30:54

Maybe he just likes you because you are you, and doesn't care about your age.

mammadiggingdeep Wed 26-Mar-14 18:31:02

Because some men are shallow and want a younger woman with a 'trimmer' figure and less wrinkles?

Society seems to think younger women are better. Was watching Mary Berry on tv the other day and said to my mum "how many other elderly women are there on tv regularly?" We couldn't think of many. We could think if plenty of men...

mammadiggingdeep Wed 26-Mar-14 18:31:54

Bruce Forsyth hosts with tess Daley...Philip schofield with holly willouboughy...etc etc... All older men with younger women on tv.

mammadiggingdeep Wed 26-Mar-14 18:32:40

I've gone off track a bit sorry op!

LoisPuddingLane Wed 26-Mar-14 18:34:38

Phil Schofield is hardly elderly. He's two weeks younger than me.

muchtooshy Wed 26-Mar-14 18:36:40

It isn't a huge age gap though as I am 28 and he is 43 so he isn't elderly!

maggiemight Wed 26-Mar-14 18:39:34

Difficult to discuss unless you know what the age differences are.

An 18 year old won't have the firm views due to experience that say a 40 year old woman might have.

maggiemight Wed 26-Mar-14 18:41:48

Hmm, that's a pretty big gap.

olathelawyer05 Wed 26-Mar-14 18:41:58

Evolution/biology mainly - younger woman generally equals better fertility (as do bigger boobs, good looking hips, prettier features etc). female fertility being time limited and all that.

In terms of the modern societal aspect for a divorced man, younger women before the age of 30 or so are typically less demanding. Women tend to get more demanding with age (up to a point) but with looks fading more and more - it makes sense to go for the typically better looking and typically less demanding option.

WhisperingShadow Wed 26-Mar-14 18:45:37

I'm 36 my husband is 47. Ex wife was same age as him.

He is my best friend. Just because I am younger doesn't mean I have less life experience. We clicked.

arsenaltilidie Wed 26-Mar-14 20:12:39

Err women go for older men.
Is it because they see them as a type of man who can 'rescue' her.

Main reason is younger women are more beautiful and older men are more wealthier/life is in order.

nkf Wed 26-Mar-14 20:14:29

They look nice? They make the man feel good. The younger women like their them.

muchtooshy Wed 26-Mar-14 20:21:39

Is it really a big gap? I was thinking that 20 plus years was a big difference in years.

I do have less life experience and it does show sometimes. I don't know if that would turn into a problem for him. He seems to like it at the moment.

flatbellyfella Wed 26-Mar-14 21:38:38

I don't think age should come in to it, personalities are more important. If two people click, go for it.

GertTheFlirt Wed 26-Mar-14 21:43:40

Men trade up, not down. Old wife traded in for a younger model. No one is going to swap a sporty model for a vintage banger. It comes down to suitable breeding stock both ways. Male requires fertile partner. Female requires the lion; the leader, the alpha male, the one who can provide. Again, no is going to look at the runt of the litter and think "ah, thats the best I can get to fertilise my eggs"

Scornedwoman67 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:46:05

It's an ego thing. I always avoid men on dating sites who are searching for a much younger woman! It should be about the personality...not miles on the clock smile

Darkesteyes Wed 26-Mar-14 21:49:27

DH is 23 years older an ex was 21 yrs older and my ex OM was 17 yrs older.

I didnt conciously go for them because they were older .... it just happened that we were attrracted to each other.

DH lost interest in intimacy a long time ago and ppl have been very ready to blame it on his age.
But a 47 year old friend of mine was in a similar situation to me (her h was the same age as her but there hadnt been any intimacy for a while) and she left him for a 70 year old man who wanted to be intimate with her.
people are individuals and we need to start seeing them that way.

Darkesteyes Wed 26-Mar-14 21:59:03

Interesting Gert. When i intoduced my OM to a friend she called him "interesting looking" She also made a comment saying i could do better. I was really pissed off with her for saying that.

Because there was an incredible sexual chemistry between us ....we couldnt keep our hands off each other.
this is why i will never internet date....from what ive read on these threads its too shallow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now