Talk

Advanced search

Eddie Mair

(48 Posts)
Vango Thu 16-Nov-17 17:20:04

I know many of us love him. He's just made me pause in the kitchen as he so carefully read out the names of the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire. So respectfully done. Poor, poor people.

choccyp1g Thu 16-Nov-17 22:28:50

Yes, I stopped what I was doing and just listened. A thoroughly respectful piece of radio.

AuldHeathen Fri 17-Nov-17 18:38:30

I liked that too. He’s got a great voice for mourning!

eddiemairswife Fri 17-Nov-17 18:46:42

I'm a big fan.grin

Cakescakescakes Fri 17-Nov-17 18:48:32

He is totally and utterly fantastic.

MotherofPearl Fri 17-Nov-17 18:50:50

Another Eddie fan here. He always seems to get the tone just right.

eyeoresancerre Fri 17-Nov-17 18:57:27

I loved that he didn’t rush through the names. When I kept hearing the same surnames repeated it really struck me that whole families have died.
He is the voice of calm after a long day!

Vango Fri 17-Nov-17 19:02:50

I think he's unrivalled on R4. And I thought yesterday's reading was a powerful piece of broadcasting.

IJoinedJustToPostThis Fri 17-Nov-17 19:15:52

I love him. Too many different moments to mention.

polyhymnia Fri 17-Nov-17 19:22:31

Another who loves him here.

Vango Fri 17-Nov-17 19:45:09

@eddiemairswife you'd have a fight on your hands if there was the remotest possibility! grin

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sat 18-Nov-17 00:21:55

I'm going to listen again

Holliewantstobehot Sat 18-Nov-17 00:31:21

I too shed some tears. I thought it was lovely, so respectful to the people who lost their lives.

I'm another Eddie fan. I clean the kitchen and cook dinner between 5 and 6 so I can listen to PM in peace. I love the slight quirkiness.

PurpleStar123 Sat 18-Nov-17 00:33:50

I missed this but I listen to him during my commute and he is v good.

kohl Sat 18-Nov-17 00:47:37

He's a terrific journalist. He always always manages to ask the unexpected question-and often it's the compassionate question.
He can hold silence better than anyone else working on radio.

Vango Sat 18-Nov-17 00:56:34

He can hold silence better than anyone else working on radio.

And bizarrely it never sounds like dead air!

SealSong Sat 18-Nov-17 00:59:37

He's brilliant. Always has the right tone and way of putting things, can be in turn sensitive and thoughtful, and can take apart mealy-mouthed politicians with ease.
Wish John Humphreys would bugger off though, he is appalling.

64BooLane Sat 18-Nov-17 01:03:03

He is absolutely great. Love the way the whole vibe of PM suggests a team of people behind the scenes working well together and making interesting decisions.

I read the other day (in the context of an article somewhere about complaints against the BBC, which they routinely disclose), that some kind of complaint relating to bias was upheld against Eddie Mair recently - no info on what it was. Immediately felt defensive on his behalf. Perhaps he did display bias but if so, I expect it was against someone who’s a total arse.

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 20-Nov-17 19:51:35

Re the upheld complaint - after chatting to DH about tonight’s PM, which had 2 great items (Charles Manson’s biographer & the submarine bloke) I mentioned that I thought Eddie was a bit snippy initially with Manson bloke, & how very brusque he can be - DH said he’d never noticed it & thought he was always lovely, so I said he’s lovely with civilians but can be a total shit with some officials, & mentioned the upheld complaint.

So. Been googling. Can’t find anything. I think I heard it was the prog on June 6th, in which case it was just before the election & will have been a politician. I’m dying to know now!

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 20-Nov-17 19:52:30

In fact I’m going to search here around that date now grin

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 20-Nov-17 20:02:51

Nothing here
It was actually 8th June though - Election Day itself - going by this.
I’d love to know!

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 20-Nov-17 20:03:40

Pic didn’t post!

64BooLane Mon 20-Nov-17 21:51:21

Now I really want to know too!

Boris?

Hassled Mon 20-Nov-17 21:55:39

I adore the man. I remember him ages ago interviewing someone who was in the news for whatever reason (wish I could remember), and he just stopped and asked "And how are you?" in a way that really seemed like he cared - not for the news story, but for the well-being of the person involved. And the person told him how he was feeling and it was so much more insightful and interesting than the skimming the surface news story you usually get.

LizzieSiddal Mon 20-Nov-17 22:01:03

Another Eddie lover here!

I too shed some tears when he read our every single name. It was such a powerful few moments and I’ll remener it every time Grenfell is mentioned.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: