Will I regret having no tiles in kitchen/utility?

(39 Posts)
SelfBuild Tue 13-Apr-21 13:00:18

We've gone for dove grey units, navy island, Quartz worktops with upstands and a splashback going up to the windowsill behind the sink and to the extractor fan behind the hob in the kitchen. Utility wise dove grey units, Quartz worktops and upstands again going up to windowsill behind the sink. We have a herringbone floor.

Will I regret no tiles? I've always had tiles but with quite a busy floor I wanted to keep it simple. Help please I'm doubting myself!

OP’s posts: |
Bluntness100 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:02:06

I have no tiles in my kitchen I have a large upstand all the way round ans a splashback at the cooker. There’s no need for anything else. It’s been like this for three or four years. The walls don’t get marked, as any splashes go on the up stand or the cooker splashback. The upstand is about double the normal size though,

sorryiasked Tue 13-Apr-21 13:02:10

No, you've got upstands so no need. Stay strong!

missbunnyrabbit Tue 13-Apr-21 13:08:06

Personally, I much prefer tiles over a splashback. Think kitchens look kinda boring without them, charmless, but splashbacks are probably more modern or 'on trend' now?

Changingwiththetimes Tue 13-Apr-21 20:24:59

I don't have tiles either. Last few kitchens have just continued counter up the wall. Alternatively, i quite like coloured glass.
However next kitchen I'm doing black handleless units, marbled white stone surface and morrocan black and white patterned tiles up to wall units.

MassDebate Wed 14-Apr-21 11:49:57

We’re about to tile having lived without them for 11 years. I hate the marks all over the paintwork (we have upstands but there is plenty of wall still exposed).

Cissyandflora Wed 14-Apr-21 11:53:10

What’s an upstand? I’m designing a new kitchen soon and must find out.

Advertisement

SelfBuild Wed 14-Apr-21 12:05:03

Cissyandflora

What’s an upstand? I’m designing a new kitchen soon and must find out.

That's an upstand.

OP’s posts: |
Cissyandflora Wed 14-Apr-21 12:06:46

Got it. Thanks. Im going with coloured glass I think. But maybe an upstand below that would be neater and good for cleaning.

PresentingPercy Wed 14-Apr-21 12:26:07

You want an upstanding or tiled. Not both. Too busy. Upstands go with stone or a material like solid surface. The idea is a clean no fuss look. Tiles go better with laminated or wood. Use a washable paint. You can add colour with the paints if you wish. Then change it when you like. Way cheaper than tiling. I’ve had only upstanding in kitchens for many years now. Much prefer it.

PresentingPercy Wed 14-Apr-21 12:26:41

Obviously upstand! Autocorrect!!!

1sttimemumtobe2021 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:29:09

We have an upstand only here. It helps that the hob is on the island and the sink is under a window so less likely of dirt up the walls. To make it less 'boring' looking - I just have shelves on the wall to add a bit of colour with cookbooks displayed.

fairislecable Wed 14-Apr-21 12:37:48

I have not had tiles for 18 years, ( prior to that I kept a toothbrush in the kitchen purely for scrubbing out the grout!).

However, my upstands are 23 cm high, level with window cill. And behind the hob it goes up the wall to meet with the extractor.

Never had a problem with marks etc but I would recommend that you use a backsplash of some sort behind the hob as this is the only area which needs cleaning from grease spots etc

Iwantcauliflowercheese Wed 14-Apr-21 12:42:25

Upstands and splash backs are the way to go. Tiles are very outdated.

Cissyandflora Wed 14-Apr-21 12:48:43

What about coloured glass - the large squares. Can they pair with upstands or is that too much going on?

murbblurb Wed 14-Apr-21 12:52:38

upstand = expensive replacement for tiles. If you can do your own tiling you will save a fortune by putting a row of tiles at the back of the worktop. You do need something to stop water dripping down the back.

Even if you can't do your own tiling, worth considering. Last forever.

Previous kitchen here was tile madness, and all in very dated 'country' patterns - but there is a compromise as always.

PresentingPercy Wed 14-Apr-21 13:02:08

Too much with coloured glass I think if you have upstands. Just for a splashback is fine. Just not everywhere. Use a decent washable paint.

PresentingPercy Wed 14-Apr-21 13:03:30

Upstands take very little work to install. They are not expensive when compared to the expense of tile fitter! Who wants to clean grout? Tiles are dated and most modern kitchens do not have them. Only wood without upstands and laminate.

drpet49 Wed 14-Apr-21 13:05:53

I detest tiles so YANBU.

I0NA Wed 14-Apr-21 13:17:01

No you won’t regret it. Use a decent washable emulsion and it will be fine.

ToryStelling Wed 14-Apr-21 13:41:37

I personally find kitchen tiles quite outdated now. We went for upstands when we chose our new kitchen and they were definitely cheaper than tiles too!

Looks so much neater and no grout to clean. We also have a clear glass splashback behind our hob.

StevieG55 Wed 14-Apr-21 18:49:07

Are u me lol. It sounds very much like my kitchen. We've got quartz with upstands and I love it. I don't regret not having the tiles and I always said if I fancy a change etc we can get them done another time. Kitchen nearly 3yrs old now and I still love it. I think its more minimalist and modern. We have a glass splashback behind the cooker too.

Quincie Wed 14-Apr-21 18:56:49

Yes upstand is good. I have pale blue emulsion on the walls - nowadays it's so good you can just wipe off splashes, no need for tiles. And a clear perspex/glass back between cooker and extracter.

Cissyandflora Wed 14-Apr-21 22:19:40

My worktops are wooden and water can get behind. I never finished the install properly. Now I’ll redesign but want to take my time and get it right. I love threads like this. So helpful

ChocolateDeficitDisorder Thu 15-Apr-21 07:48:05

I have upstands and a stainless steel backsplash behind the cooker. We chose a scrubbable kitchen paint and just wipe any splashes off the walls. I plan to change the flooring and paint the walls soon to give us a different look, easy to do if there are no tiles.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in