Talk

Advanced search

Selling my property with dodgy carpets. WWYD??

(60 Posts)
DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 05:57:59

I've received an offer on my property which I will probably accept but I know there are carpet moths in 3 rooms. There are bare patches underneath some of the furniture.
Do I tell the buyer or keep quiet?

BedtimeTea Wed 10-Jan-18 06:03:37

It is up to the buyer to look around, check the lights and taps are working. Chances are they will be replacing the carpet eventually anyways. I would not mention it and not feel guilty.

BedtimeTea Wed 10-Jan-18 06:04:27

*check the lights and taps are working ect.

DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 06:11:12

BedtimeTea That's the thing though, I would feel guilty. The buyer's are lovely and it's their first home together. I would be gutted on moving day to discover I need to buy new carpet. The problem is only under the heavy furniture so obviously they won't have seen it on their viewings.
I'm not sure if I feel guilty enough to cost me £££ though wink

PinkietheElf Wed 10-Jan-18 06:13:09

I would do something to sort the problem. Imagine if they don't move in immediately the property could be full of the moths. There is another thread in Housekeeping saying you can buy sticky sheets which attract the male moths.
Then at least you can say - if they complain, that the problem has been /is being dealt with.

ems137 Wed 10-Jan-18 06:14:10

Can't you just rip them out and state on the fixtures and fittings paperwork that they won't be sold with the house?

DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 06:39:39

PinkietheElf it's not that bad! I've left the place empty for months on end before now and have never had to battle my way through a must of moths on my return grin

abbsisspartacus Wed 10-Jan-18 06:41:20

They damage everything treat your place it's not expensive

DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 06:43:02

ems137 I have thought of removing the carpet but can't think of a good enough reason to give as to why. Also it's a bloody good carpet (except for the bare patches, obvs) and I'm sure the buyers are intending to keep it.

I want to do the right thing but I can't afford to re-carpet the place now confused

DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 06:46:13

abbsisspartacus They've been there for almost 20 years. Generally they keep to their own areas grin

I'm not at the property so can't treat the carpet and to be fair, the damage is done. I just don't know whether I should tell the buyers or not

MaverickSnoopy Wed 10-Jan-18 06:48:22

Tricky one. We had them when renting years ago. We had them treated 3 times and it didn't shift them. In the end the landlord replaced the carpets. Initially they were just in one place but they seemed to spread so quickly to other rooms. Yours sound quite contained though? I think I'd need to be honest with the buyers and tell them and possibly drop the value of the house a bit. Carpet months are considered as a natural disaster though so it's not really your fault either. Can you claim on your contents insurance?

Barnyforever Wed 10-Jan-18 06:49:35

Get someone in to treat it and then leave it.
At least they won’t get into all their new fittings and they can live with a few threadbare patches or change it.

We did the same and didn’t say anything
Buyers had a full survey and nothing was noted

We also bought somewhere and on moving day there was clearly an enormous stain on carpet where their sofa had been. No idea what it was but carpet was ruined
I took it on the chin.

dudsville Wed 10-Jan-18 06:52:19

I would take them up and tell them why. Anyone should be grateful that you took the care to remove the bugs!

AJPTaylor Wed 10-Jan-18 06:56:08

Actually, i think you can square it all with your conscience through saying to them " i have realised that there is some carpet moth damage under the furniture. Do you want me to leave the carpets in situ or remove them?"

InfiniteSheldon Wed 10-Jan-18 07:00:19

SHOReline has nailed it. Knowingly leaving a month infestation is a bit off really, not totally bad but a bit off so that covers you.

hattiehollow Wed 10-Jan-18 07:06:25

There are two issues here - the damaged carpets (you have not been clear how bad the damage is, but if it’s more than a few square inches or in prominent areas, I think you’re being really deceitful in hiding it, if you think the carpets are likely to stay in position for some time. Then there’s also the issue of selling a house with a known infestation, which is a pretty low thing to do. I think the least you could do was get a professional person in to treat it, maybe once the house is emptied. Just because you don’t live there doesn’t absolve all responsibility.
If I bought it in good faith and found this, I’d think you were really dishonest - you certainly needn’t expect any mail forwarded!

Rudgie47 Wed 10-Jan-18 07:09:44

I'd treat it and get rid of them with this www.pestcontrolsupermarket.com/carpet-moths-treatment-kit-3-with-free-protective-coveralls-75-p.asp. You say your not around at the moment? I'd get a family member then to do it and pay them or Rentokill in then.
Just pay and tell the new buyers you have had a problem with moths in the past but they have been treated. Then your not lying.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 10-Jan-18 07:12:37

Please don’t just do nothing. You know about it and pretending you don’t, or have “just realised”, is deceitful.

I know plenty of people won’t agree though sad

BedtimeTea Wed 10-Jan-18 07:13:17

Sorry, I don't know anything about moths, and I thought more about the worn patches. You could have the moth infestation professionally treated?

DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 07:14:09

AJPTaylor great suggestion, I think that's what I'll do.

hattiehollow thank you so much for your input flowers

SmileAndNod Wed 10-Jan-18 07:15:58

I would definitely tell the buyer and offer to either remove the carpets / get pest control in. It's then their choice. I can't understand why you wouldn't say anything. Seems a bit dishonest when you KNOW there's a problem.

DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 07:25:47

As much as I need to keep hold of money, I couldn't just say nothing. The guilt would eat me up.
I'll tell them about the moths and damage to the carpet and give them the choice of the carpets staying and being treated or being taken up.
Problem solved. Thanks everyone smile

PinkietheElf Wed 10-Jan-18 07:30:24

If I had already agreed a price then the seller removed the carpets I would want a reduction in the price. Even though it's probably not that much for used carpets.

DavidBowiesNumber1 Wed 10-Jan-18 07:50:03

PinkietheElf if the carpets are not on the itinerary to be included then I'd be quite within my rights to remove them

PinkietheElf Wed 10-Jan-18 08:10:24

Yes, you would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now