Talk

Advanced search

Dh refusing to put laminate down in hall and says Got to be Lino

(41 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 20:21:44

Bit bloody irritating but we bought the laminate six years ago and he's made excuse after excuse for not putting it down. I even said I'd pay someone to do it (money's not an issue so its not that) and he made excuses about needing to sand/paint the skirting boards first.

So six years on and the shitty carpet is still down. But now its literally shitty due to a new puppy.

I said to dh if the flooring could go down it would make it a lot easier to clean accidents up.

He said that we now can't use the laminate as if puppy wees on it it could get down the cracks and wreck it. He says put Lino down instead. Is he right? I'm not sure i want Lino but to be honest anything which is wipe clean now would probably be welcome. Will it look awful?

echt Sun 02-Nov-14 20:35:16

www.designflooringltd.co.uk/marmoleum.html

You can get lovely colours these days, far nicer than any laminate. It is not cheap.

Bunbaker Sun 02-Nov-14 20:37:31

I know that cushion floor/lino has gone out of fashion, but it is really very practical and modern versions look better than laminate IMO.

We had our bathroom floor done recently and it looks like we have a new bathroom.

PigletJohn Sun 02-Nov-14 20:42:33

liquids will damage laminate flooring.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 20:42:44

We had Lino put in the bathroom last year and I like it there....just not in a hall!

BaffledSomeMore Sun 02-Nov-14 20:48:11

We learned the hard way that cushioned vinyl can be dented and stay dented. I wouldn't use it in a high traffic area where outdoor shoes etc might ruin it.
I think he's probably right about liquid getting down the cracks in ordinary laminate though.
Is there anything you can buy to seal the laminate once it's down?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 21:01:18

I'm tempted to get that industrial cling film that they have on the floor in caravans at caravan showrooms and cling film the hall.

wowfudge Sun 02-Nov-14 22:20:53

Do you mean vinyl or proper Lino? In a hallway luxury vinyl tiles such as Amtico or Karndean will be more hard wearing the sheet vinyl.

RudyMentary Sun 02-Nov-14 22:26:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ladybird69 Sun 02-Nov-14 22:31:48

Ooo glad I found this thread I'm about to put Lino down in my hallway thanks to elderly cat ruining the carpet. I wanted laminate but flooring guy said it shouldn't get wet and I'm moping/steaming twice a day at least.
I thought about tiles but they seem so cold, so will look at the vinyl tiles. Thanks

Thelongdarkteatime Sun 02-Nov-14 22:38:37

We have laminate in our hall (from the previous owner) and water damage has caused some of the laminate to peel. It is very old though, so that might have something to do with it. We are going to replace with Lino as soon as I can find some suitable.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 22:46:35

I've just been looking at Karndean.

Would tile vinyl have the same potential problems of water piss getting between them?

Tiles would probably be cheaper as the hall is a big L shape. So I'd need a massive square and waste most of it if its a sheet. Or have a join somewhere.

BaffledSomeMore Sun 02-Nov-14 22:48:07

The Amtico and Karndean stuff is great. Our elderly cats had many an accident steam cleaned into oblivion.

Viva said they have the laminate so I'm guessing they don't want to spend out for Amtico but if I'm wrong then get that.

ladybird69 Sun 02-Nov-14 22:51:11

We had vinyl tiles in my old family home and I'm guessing that the glue must make it waterproof, like the grout in ceramics. Usually laminate is just clicked into place isn't it? I'm liking the wood look vinyl.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 22:52:43

I,ll pay for Amtico, etc if it looks better and will last. Will write the £200 for the laminate off.

ladybird69 Sun 02-Nov-14 22:54:31

Yes Baffled Bless our dear cats. It would be such a waste for the OP to put down the laminate and the puppy ruin it. Maybe cheap Lino for now, then lay laminate in a year or so, puppies aren't puppies forever eh.

ladybird69 Sun 02-Nov-14 22:55:33

Will you go with the wood look Viva?

RudyMentary Sun 02-Nov-14 22:56:09

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 23:01:07

Might be able to sell the laminate I guess.

There's some really nice, realistic Karndean wood ones. Have ordered a brochure.

I'm guessing Karndean isn't cheap?

BaffledSomeMore Sun 02-Nov-14 23:04:36

We bought a house that had it so no idea but I can tell you it was still good after over a decade in the kitchen.

RudyMentary Sun 02-Nov-14 23:04:38

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 23:05:26

Just been reading that Amtico is meant to be harder wearing than Karndean so might go for that.

wowfudge Sun 02-Nov-14 23:11:04

My DPs have Amtico in their kitchen and bathroom and it looks brilliant after more than ten years - I notice all sorts of things and I haven't seen any noticeable wear.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Nov-14 23:15:22

It's about £60 a square meter!!! Eeek.

BaffledSomeMore Sun 02-Nov-14 23:20:31

Ooh. That's a lot.
<helpful>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now