Talk

Advanced search

Girls not allowed to wear trousers to school? I thought we were in the 21st century?

(234 Posts)
TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Sun 21-Jun-09 23:38:21

My DD is due to start primary school in September. I have been reading through the school's info pack, and I am really surprised (and hacked off) that the school specifies for winter school uniform, girls must wear a skirt & tights, and not trousers. hmm

Is this normal? It seems so unnecessary. I can't really put into words how I feel, as it is pretty late, but it seems to be reinforcing gender stereotypes.

I am considering raising the issue with the head teacher, but would appreciate any views.

cmichelle246 Sat 30-Apr-11 23:46:09

Human rights and anti-discrimination issues
While pupils must stick to the school's uniform policy, schools must be considerate to the needs of different cultures, races and religions. Schools must always act reasonably and sensibly in accommodating religious requirements, providing they do not pose a threat to security, safety and learning, or compromise the well-being of the school community.
Schools must not discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or belief.

GiddyPickle Sat 30-Apr-11 23:48:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Butterpiecrimearea Sat 30-Apr-11 23:51:47

In a way, shorts for boys makes it not so bad, but I still wouldn't send mine in with bare legs, regardless of gender, in the winter. We live in the north east - it is freezing round here. School kids spend lots of time outdoors, or at least they should.

I remember just spending playtimes huddled up with the other girls, with our legs tucked into our coats, shivering, while the boys played football.

Not. Happening. With. My. Girls.

Ponders Sun 01-May-11 00:03:11

as far as winter is concerned, tights are warmer than trousers, but that's not the point here

this thread is nearly 2 years old though grin

Butterpiecrimearea Sun 01-May-11 14:12:31

Ponders- I would expect the children to wear tights or leggings under the trousers in winter tbh. I know I did, when my school came to it's senses and allowed trousers. That and a t shirt under the blouse (hence why I wore the shirt with tie rather than the open necked one). Plus trousers allow for more study shoes or boots- I even got away with DMs in the winter. In Primary School all we had as options were thermal vests and knickers, and pulling the socks up high.

And I went to school in the tropics of Lancashire. We now live in Tyne and Wear, and my eldest has asthma or something. The geordies might not mind the cold, but I do! (and by extension I suspect my children will)

Plus, I never did the whole sports thing, but I bet skirts don't help there either.

Butkin Mon 02-May-11 12:14:23

DDs (to 13) doesn't allow trousers for girls. Tunics/dresses in early years then skirs/dresses from Yr 4. Boys have to wear short trousers all year round until Yr 4 when they can wear trousers.

ZZZenAgain Mon 02-May-11 12:18:23

I agree with you OP, I find it entirely unacceptable. Of course girls should be permitted to wear trousers, why ever not?

edam Mon 02-May-11 12:19:16

It's an old thread. But I think schools that do this are stupid. Why is it so important to see girls' legs? And they are acting illegally.

DoctorWhoEver Mon 02-May-11 18:10:22

We have a traditional church school near us that won't allow the girls to wear trousers - however the girls don't look smart in their skirts, they look tarty as most of them wear their skirts just below their knicker line. hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »