Talk

Advanced search

Please, no more bloody letters and permission slips!!!!

(41 Posts)
lovecheese Tue 21-Jun-11 18:29:52

I swear that my DC's school must have got through several trees over the last few weeks with the amount of stuff that has been sent home, and my, ahem, "Filing system" means that some have got lost or chucked away by mistake.

Just wanted a rant, really, before I plough through the pile needed by tomorrow. Grrrrrr.

Feenie Tue 21-Jun-11 18:30:53

Okay. Let's end all trips and communication immediately.

We don't send out letters for no reason at all, believe me.

lovecheese Tue 21-Jun-11 18:34:16

But permission slips for juniors for something that they have to go to the infant building to do?

GypsyMoth Tue 21-Jun-11 18:39:12

You could try being me!!

5 dc in 5 different schools!

lovecheese Tue 21-Jun-11 18:56:03

5 different schools, really? OK, I'm guessing one in nursery, one in infants, one in juniors at a separate site, one in secondary and one in sixth form?

rebl Tue 21-Jun-11 18:58:08

I get letters every day from 2 different schools. You need a better system than dumping on a pile.

Alternatively ask if there is email list. DS's school sends things out by email, dd's school doesn't.

Tinuviel Tue 21-Jun-11 19:00:28

If your 10 year old DC had been taken up a very steep hill, in the dark at 11pm, not returning till 2am (having been put in a car to get him there), with only 2 torches between 7 people without your knowledge or consent, you wouldn't be moaning about consent forms. (It wasn't through school!)

And yes, I did complain. And yes, they covered for the leader responsible! Information was very sparse and with no consent form all parents assumed that by night hike + sleepover they meant a walk round the surrounding area, returning around midnight for a cup of cocoa!

Euphemia Tue 21-Jun-11 19:20:16

DD's school now has one permission letter that lasts the whole year: personal info, medical info, phone numbers, GP's details on one side; a table for the teacher to fill in each time and spaces for parents to sign and date. Much more sensible!

Feenie Tue 21-Jun-11 19:23:51

Our LEA won't let us do that.

Euphemia Tue 21-Jun-11 19:24:42

Bonkers!

Feenie Tue 21-Jun-11 19:26:56

Does it cover all trips, Euphemia?

Euphemia Tue 21-Jun-11 19:50:11

Yes, whether a walk round the village or a day coach trip.

lovecheese Tue 21-Jun-11 19:51:23

Euphemia, which LA? sounds good to me.

Euphemia Tue 21-Jun-11 19:52:39

Renfrewshire Council in west Scotland. I've not seen the practice in all schools.

lovecheese Tue 21-Jun-11 19:58:22

Ah. Bit too far north. Never mind.

Strumpypumpy Tue 21-Jun-11 19:58:43

My dc school uses a website called homecontact.co.uk it's brilliant. Everything is emailed, you print what you need. All consent forms are completed and returned via email. We can even pay for trips via the site. Suggest it to your school. It makes a huge difference.

superjobeespecs Tue 21-Jun-11 19:59:04

i hate the letters half of them are tat - our 2 asst heads are retiring, wear a tartan ribbon on friday, dress like a fish on tuesday and god knows what other crap we get- i just leave it for the OH to read unless its a permission slip then i sign it.

Goblinchild Tue 21-Jun-11 19:59:28

You need a better system OP, I've go one but the the huge amount of paperwork generated by GCSEs and Y11 in general got me seriously muddled several times. So it does get worse.
Sympathetic smile

Lonnie Tue 21-Jun-11 20:03:32

you know op I agree with you and I do not think it is particular helpful to comment on her " filing system"

when you have several children it can be a lot to ensure you are kept up to date with permission slips. the fact you knwo they are nesesarry somehow doesnt change the fact they are tedious and a bore to deal with JUST as much as i think they are for the school.

The primary school my youngest 3 are in sends out emails. Great yes. but I have to print them out and take them back in i cant simply respond affirming. So actually as much work for me as it was before..

the 2ndary my oldest is in sticks with letters however they often come out with 48 hours notice so if I am not organised we get called about it (irritating)

the 2ndary that my 2nd will start in september uses a email notification system whre you can give permission by (fromw hat I understood ) however this off course I need to learn more about.

simply because you get why something needsw to be done (like ironing) it doesnt have to be a good thing

mrz Tue 21-Jun-11 20:08:04

Euphemia we used to do a yearly permission slip but new safeguarding rules say we can no longer do that and must get a slip for every trip.

Feenie Tue 21-Jun-11 20:14:10

That's what it's like here, too.

Feenie Tue 21-Jun-11 20:20:47

Strumpypumpy That website looks good - have emailed details to my headteacher, thanks. smile

Euphemia Tue 21-Jun-11 20:27:38

Elf n Safety gawn mad, Mrz! smile

piprabbit Tue 21-Jun-11 20:30:56

All our letters get published on the school website.
Then we get a text message telling us to go and read/print off permission slips.

It saves on paper - but I'm not 100% convinced that it's an idiotproof system (and yes, I am one of the idiots who struggles to remember blush).

RoadArt Tue 21-Jun-11 20:42:32

I love getting communication from school. They are fantastic and always provide excellent newsletters and details about trips etc. They have a standard process, it is tidy and it works. They also give local community news as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now