Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had this intense shooting pain

(30 Posts)
HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 20:47:22

hi I'm 22wks+1 for about 3/4 days now I've been getting intense shooting pain in lower back / bottom on 1 side.. Don't know if I've pulled a muscle or is it another pregnancy thing? Roll on November when I'm holding my baby boy smile

RockerMummy184 Mon 06-Jul-15 20:48:44

Does it feel like a trapped nerve and shoot down your leg?

Purpleball Mon 06-Jul-15 20:54:57

If it feels like a stitch and is either side of your belly button then yes I've had this. I was told its round ligament pain and its normal, just things stretching. I'm 29 weeks now and still get it occasionally but it was worst around 8-15 weeks

Purpleball Mon 06-Jul-15 20:56:13

Oops sorry you said back -in which case it's sciatic pain. I also had this! I went for a deep tissue massage which hurt like hell but fixed it

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 20:58:00

Im 23 weeks and get this when i have done too much. Its a touch of sciatica my mw says. Had it on and off since 15 weeks.

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:00:56

Hi thanks for ur replies Yh it kinda feels like a trapped nerve but goes from my back to bum not my leg.. I'm willing to try anything Purpleball so will look into that massage, thanks

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:02:37

Maybe time to talk to work about light duties then appleblossom?! I walk about 8miles a day with work atm hmm

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:03:06

My dh offers to 'pound my arse' for me when it gets bad. confused

Ahem.

Anyway, he just applies a bit of pressure/pummelling and it does help.

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:04:30

I have an idle office job. Its more things like bending to empty the dishwasher, hoovering etc.

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:07:39

Haha I might suggest that to my Dp then.. blush
Yeah I'm finding it really bad when getting up off of the sofa but also comes and goes when I'm walking

SoljaBonita Mon 06-Jul-15 21:11:17

Sounds like SPD to me

SoljaBonita Mon 06-Jul-15 21:11:49

would be worth seeing your midwife about, or GP

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:12:49

I bet! My feet have been aching and swelling up from doing very little, walking 8 miles would probably finish me off!

Im expecting a boy in November too. Cant wait :-)

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:17:42

What is spd? Rang Dr 2 weeks for an appointment hmm and struggling to get hold of mw next app is 27th...

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:20:42

I've been doing the job 3yrs so my body is used to it lol I've had a reasonably easy pregnancy thus far.. What date are u due appleblossom? It this ur first? He is my first, so excited can not wait, I'm due 8th November grin

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:34:05

smile Its my first and due date is 3rd nov. My pregnancy has been easy too other than a scare with being put as high risk after downs screening.

Spd is pelvic girdle pain. So extreme pain in hips, groin etc. Can start with sciatica. My sciatic pain isnt too bad so dont think its spd but if yours is you should speak to your midwife. i have a friend who has been on crutches with it confused

RockerMummy184 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:36:20

My SPD started with a pain in the lower right side of my back, and down into my bum cheek. It then started spreading down my leg, exactly how a trapped never would start. Also worsened if I'd stayed in the same position too long then tried to move. Now I have it in both sides and in my hips and pelvis. I'd definitely get booked in with your GP ASAP and ask for a referral to physio as it can take weeks to get an appointment and you need it sorting before it gets worse.

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:38:18

Congrats flowers
I don't think mine is that bad and not all the time, will see how it goes this week.. Thanks for ur comments

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:47:23

Omg rockermummy that sounds terrible! I was kinda hoping it was just something that would go away as quickly as it started.. Obviously not! Thanks for ur comment.. Hope u feel better soon, how far gone are u?

SoljaBonita Mon 06-Jul-15 21:48:11

Its to do with the loosening of the pelvic joints in readiness for the birth. The timing seems about right as I remember mine starting in june, ds was due november.

If it is SPD then I'm afraid it won't go away and will get gradually worse. It's really important to get it diagnosed and in your birth plan.

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:50:08

But it can just be a touch of sciatica so dont worry too much. Doesnt hurt to flag it with your mw. Ive had these twinges for a couple of months and its got no worse.

FeelTheNoise Mon 06-Jul-15 21:57:55

I have exactly the same OP! On bad days I can barely move confused I've got PGP diagnosis now. It is better at the moment, but only because I'm taking it so easy. As soon as I start feeling painful I either stop what I'm doing or slow right down

HopeFull28 Mon 06-Jul-15 22:02:54

Thanks all I'll get to Drs asap hopefully it's just a touch of sciatica, think I can live with it as long as it doesn't get worse lol goodnight all xx

RockerMummy184 Mon 06-Jul-15 22:07:50

Sorry OP I just re-read my post and didn't mean to sound all 'bearer of bad news'-ish! I had similar with my first and it ended up being sciatica as Apple said, so don't worry too much. :-) I'm 25 weeks with twin boys.

HopeFull28 Tue 07-Jul-15 14:49:37

I'm at work today and every step is agony! Have rang gp and next available app is 20th!! angry What to do...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now